Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MIAA and Mouthguards

Looks like the MIAA has reversed their earlier ruling on mouthguards. Last June the MIAA had changed the mouthguard rule for soccer from mandatory to "highly recommended".

The MIAA Medical Committee presented to the MIAA Board their objection to the June rule change making mouth guards 'highly recommended' and convinced the board to reverse the ruling making it mandatory for mouth guards again.

page 71 - Rule 77.1.5 of the MIAA blue book
    Originally posted by MIAA
    MIAA Handbook July 1, 2007 – June 30, 2009

77.) Soccer

77.1.5 - Mouth guards are required for all soccer players while on the field.
    http://www.miaa.net/bluebook.htm

http://www.miaa.net/soccer_mouthguard.htm

It amazes me that the MIAA is concerned with mouthguard rules, earring rules and size of shin guards, but not the number of games played in a compressed season which probably results in far more injuries.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM
      It amazes me that the MIAA is concerned with mouthguard rules, earring rules and size of shin guards, but not the number of games played in a compressed season which probably results in far more injuries.
      Good point - I never saw a mouthguard prevent an injury in the 6 years I coached HS. But I did see plenty of injuries from playing 4 games in 10 days. There were some years that I had 20 kids on the roster with half sporting some kind of injury.

Comment

Such a foolish rule. In the 25 years that I have coached youth soccer, I have NEVER had a player lose a tooth. Have had several broken noses, a few bones and a lot of twisated knee's and ankles. The latter were the most frequent and because of too many games in a short window.

We have a lot of Canadian geese on our fields in the fall. What happens when the mouthguards are dropped on the field? A better chacne for hepatitis rather than a wobbly tooth. Just a foolish rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
          Such a foolish rule. In the 25 years that I have coached youth soccer, I have NEVER had a player lose a tooth. Have had several broken noses, a few bones and a lot of twisated knee's and ankles. The latter were the most frequent and because of too many games in a short window.

We have a lot of Canadian geese on our fields in the fall. What happens when the mouthguards are dropped on the field? A better chacne for hepatitis rather than a wobbly tooth. Just a foolish rule.
          My experience of injuries were in this order

1 Ankles 2 Quads 3 shin on shin 4 Knee/Patellar 5 Head ie bloody broken nose concussion

Comment

Hepatitis?!? How about bird flu!?!

Comment

Comment

Although I agree that the mouth guard rule is an unecesary one, technically, the argument for mouth guard use is supposedly to help prevent concussions/ head injuries. It is interesting, however, that MIAA promotes a number of dentists to "assist" in the distribution of mouth guards.

Originally posted by MIAA
                The Massachusetts Dental Society in an effort to facilitate in the implementation of the MIAA soccer mouth guard standard has provided the Association a comprehensive list of dentists who will:

Distribute boil and bite mouth guards for a nominal fee; and
                Fabricate custom mouth guards for a nominal fee.
                Click here to find a dentist near you. http://www.massdental.org/public/health.cfm?doc_id=1389
                I have yet to find a dentist who would fabricate mouth guards for a "nominal fee". http://www.pic4ever.com/images/90.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Red van
                  That is "bird goo."

:shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Red van
                    That is "bird goo."

:shock:
                    Eeeewwwww........ :vom:

Comment

Shinguards? Does anyone know anything about the new or will now be enoforced shinguard rule for HS? Heard soemthing about it but not the whole thing and was hoping someone has the entire reg and wondered if it was new rule?

Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Just A Dad
                        Shinguards? Does anyone know anything about the new or will now be enoforced shinguard rule for HS? Heard soemthing about it but not the whole thing and was hoping someone has the entire reg and wondered if it was new rule?

Tx
                        All I know is that the ruling will definately not go into effect this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Just A Dad

Tx
                          OK, found this info at the National Federation of State High School Associations. This is the governing body of the MIAA.

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2007/03/nfhs...ges_20072.aspx

NFHS Soccer Rules Changes 2007-2008

4-1-1 Beginning with the fall 2008 season, shinguards must meet the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) specifications.
                          Previously it was intended that this rule was to go into effect for Fall of 2007.

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2006/02/2006...the_rules.aspx

Originally posted by NFHS
                          4-1-1: Over the past five years, attempts to clarify the coverage, placement and size of shinguards on players within the text of the rule has fallen short. Beginning with the Fall 2007 soccer season, players will be permitted to wear only shinguards that meet the National Operating Committee for the Safety of Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) specifications. Shinguards that meet the standard will have a permanent seal or mark visible on the front of the equipment. Each manufacturer whose shinguards meets the standard will be required to indicate the height of the player that would be permitted to wear that specific equipment. Coaches should be certain that every player has shinguards with the NOCSAE seal and that the player meets the height requirement posted by the manufacturer on the equipment. During the pre-game inspection, officials need only ask the coaches if their players are legally and properly equipped according to NFHS Soccer Rules.
                          http://www.pic4ever.com/5020.gif

Comment

My daughter needed a pair of shinguards in a hurry because she was leaving for camp, she picked some up at Target and I noticed they came with the NOCSAE approval

Comment

I have seen more kids choke on mouth guards than lose teeth. I also have a tough time understanding how kids communicate while playing with them.

This is a product of a society that wants kids to wear helmets while sledding, outlaws dodge ball, and has warnings that coffee may be hot.

I am working on a personal sized, aseptic, hermetically sealed bubble for sports use. Any possible backers contact me via email.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X