Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 3 > Florida

Notices

Florida Discussions about Florida soccer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-22-2011
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default What to do about a rude coach?

My high school coach is extremely rude to me and it is getting to the point that I want to quit. I am polite and try to really only speak when spoken to sort of thing and I help clean up cones and such. However she always singles me out during her speeches and she rolls her eyes at me on numerous occasions. She hasn't liked me from the start, my freshman year I made varsity with a different coach who quit and she took over then my sophomore year moved me down to JV. Now I am a junior on varsity with her as a coach who frankly she doesn't like me. I really don't know what to do any advise or help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-22-2011
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My high school coach is extremely rude to me and it is getting to the point that I want to quit. I am polite and try to really only speak when spoken to sort of thing and I help clean up cones and such. However she always singles me out during her speeches and she rolls her eyes at me on numerous occasions. She hasn't liked me from the start, my freshman year I made varsity with a different coach who quit and she took over then my sophomore year moved me down to JV. Now I am a junior on varsity with her as a coach who frankly she doesn't like me. I really don't know what to do any advise or help would be appreciated.
talk to your parents first. they need to know what is going on before you go further.

AFTER you talk to your parents, talk to your guidence counselor at school. That is exactly what they are there for. Ask for a conferance with the counselor, you and the coach and get it worked out.

That does not mean you will get what you want, but it will lead to knowing exactly where you and the coach stand and you can go from there.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-23-2011
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
talk to your parents first. they need to know what is going on before you go further.

AFTER you talk to your parents, talk to your guidence counselor at school. That is exactly what they are there for. Ask for a conferance with the counselor, you and the coach and get it worked out.

That does not mean you will get what you want, but it will lead to knowing exactly where you and the coach stand and you can go from there.
Dont want to confuse you, but...

...I agree with the above poster that it is you who should handle the situation (not your parents, at least not yet) but disagree about involving the guidance counselor.

Have you spoken 1-on-1 with the coach yet? If not...

Before or after practice, ask the coach for a few minutes of her time. Then, tell her your perception of the situation and ask her "what's up". She what she says. Bringing it to her attention may resolve everything and she may well have a new found respect for you.

If you find her comments to be unfounded, THEN tell her a third party may be needed for resolution. If so, I'd suggest the next step be to your school's Athletic Director, not a guidance counselor.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-23-2011
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Why don't you do what I do and practice hard, play hard and earn respect.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2011
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why don't you do what I do and practice hard, play hard and earn respect.
You have no idea whether this player practices and plays "hard".

If that's the issue, leave that for discussion between the coach and the player.

No need to be an a-hole.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-2011
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default My two cents

Player should approach the coach and ask "how am I doing coach and what can do to improve"
If she rolls her eyes, you know something is wrong, wait a week to see if the behavior improves, if not, go to the athletic director
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-23-2011
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is this the lake highland coach?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-23-2011
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Whatever you do, don't let someone else get in the way of something you love. If you love soccer and want to play, don't let a difficult coach take that away. Address what you can, shake the rest off. Playing well and succeeding will be the best revenge. If you quit, they win.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-24-2011
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Player should approach the coach and ask "how am I doing coach and what can do to improve"
If she rolls her eyes, you know something is wrong, wait a week to see if the behavior improves, if not, go to the athletic director
if there is already perceived annamosity, a 14 year old kid is not going to handle a 1 on 1 talk well with another adult. And it may be an issue with the kid and not the coach. this is exactly what guidence counselors are for. let them do their job. they are better at it than a 14 year old kid or an irate parent. their job is to help kids solve problems. they would be a better resource than this board.

and i would totally dissagree with anyone who suggest a parent should not know what is going on with their kid at all times.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-24-2011
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

agree. when it is a school coach, go to the guidance counselor first, they will guide you toward the next best step/person. parents should definately be in on what is happening but kid needs to lead the charge.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High School Coach Better Than Club Coach? Unregistered Florida 22 12-31-2012 09:08 PM
Aussie coach Tom Sermanni named new USWNT coach Unregistered Florida 0 11-01-2012 10:13 AM
U.S. WNT Head Coach Pia Sundhage Reveals What it's Like to Coach Olympic Gold Medalis Admin US Soccer News 0 09-06-2012 04:10 PM
Real Madrid Coach Intentionally Pokes Barcelona Coach in the Eye Unregistered Florida 8 10-05-2011 09:06 AM
Referee--Better than everyone or just rude Unregistered Massachusetts 50 08-03-2009 09:28 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Hosted by Beachcomber.net. Premium Services without the premium price

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.