Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are most coaches in Maple clubs more professional?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are most coaches in Maple clubs more professional?

I am not going to name the coach or the club, but my son and some of his friends tried out for a local Maple team (and there are not many in this part of the state). On the last day of tryouts, the coach told the boys that he would call them in a couple of days to let them know the results of the tryouts-that was two weeks ago. Yesterday, I spoke to another mother who heard that the coach called only the players that made the team, but he did not communicate with any of the other families at all. According to my reliable source, the roster was essentially the same as last year-I don't really have a problem with that, except that a lot of boys tried out and I believe that it was very unprofessional to fail to call or at least write the other players about the results. This was my first experience with the league and there are not a lot of choices around here. For now I will just stick with the travel team for my son, but I hope that other people have had more positive experiences with Maple!

The coach should call all the players that tried out regardless of whether they made the team or not. I always do that with my teams and think that it's just common courtesy. If a coach / club does not do that then I would not even consider them in the future
    Energy

Comment

While Liverpool Coach is correct about what SHOULD be done I don't think your experience is all that unusual

Comment

Mama, this is like when you go on a date and the guy drops you off and says he'll call you, then never does.

Comment

Sorry but I dis-agree with that last statement made by "guest". In your scenario you are talking about adults. In the try outs we are talking about kids that we are supposed to set examples for. In my opinion there is a huge difference and if a coach can not be mature and responsible enough to call every one back then I would never consider playing for that coach at any point in the future because I would not trust him / her

Comment

Oops, that above post was made by me...I did not realize I was not logged in :idea:
            Energy

Comment

LC, you didn't date until you were am adult? Wouldn't your mommy let you out of the house?

Comment

Re: Are most coaches in Maple clubs more professional?

Originally posted by mama2twinsplus1
                I am not going to name the coach or the club, but my son and some of his friends tried out for a local Maple team (and there are not many in this part of the state). On the last day of tryouts, the coach told the boys that he would call them in a couple of days to let them know the results of the tryouts-that was two weeks ago. Yesterday, I spoke to another mother who heard that the coach called only the players that made the team, but he did not communicate with any of the other families at all. According to my reliable source, the roster was essentially the same as last year-I don't really have a problem with that, except that a lot of boys tried out and I believe that it was very unprofessional to fail to call or at least write the other players about the results. This was my first experience with the league and there are not a lot of choices around here. For now I will just stick with the travel team for my son, but I hope that other people have had more positive experiences with Maple!
                To give you someone to compare to I will relate the following. My daughter tried out for Rob Gonnam's U14 team some years back. He ultimately decided not to field a team. He called my daughter twice to let her know that he had not made a decision on the team and then in mid July sent her a handwritten note letting her know that he was not fielding a team due to insufficient numbers and thanking her for trying out, praising her effort and skills, and wishing her the best in her future soccer endeavours and offered to help her find a slot on another team. She learned more from him in 4 hours of tryouts than she did from her U12 coach in two seasons. He is an intense but absolutely classy individual. On the flip side her U11 coach refused to return phone call for two months and then cut her leaving her hanging for the fall without a team. He's out of MAPLE now and back in Scotland. I hope he is getting rained on as we speak.

Comment

You don't hold a grudge, do you?

Comment

He's out of MAPLE now and back in Scotland. I hope he is getting rained on as we speak.
                    :D

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo
                      To give you someone to compare to I will relate the following. My daughter tried out for Rob Gonnam's U14 team some years back. He ultimately decided not to field a team. He called my daughter twice to let her know that he had not made a decision on the team and then in mid July sent her a handwritten note letting her know that he was not fielding a team due to insufficient numbers and thanking her for trying out, praising her effort and skills, and wishing her the best in her future soccer endeavours and offered to help her find a slot on another team. She learned more from him in 4 hours of tryouts than she did from her U12 coach in two seasons. He is an intense but absolutely classy individual. On the flip side her U11 coach refused to return phone call for two months and then cut her leaving her hanging for the fall without a team. He's out of MAPLE now and back in Scotland. I hope he is getting rained on as we speak.
                      It's easy to send a hand written note when you don't have enough players to field a team.

Some coaches now would suffer from permanent ligament damage if they tried that.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                        You don't hold a grudge, do you?
                        I'm Irish - I am still p1ssed off at Longshanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo
                          True, but they have these really neat devises called, I think, t-e-l-e-p-h-o-n-e-s........... It takes a while to get a callous from dialing.

It's easy to send a hand written note when you don't have enough players to field a team.

Some coaches now would suffer from permanent ligament damage if they tried that.
                          True, but they have these really neat devices called, I think, t-e-l-e-p-h-o-n-e-s........... It takes a while to get a callous from dialing.

Comment

Mama, this is like when you go on a date and the guy drops you off and says he'll call you, then never does.
                            I think you would have to be female to really appreciate this comment. :)
                            Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

[You've got that right FSM! :) Most women learn at a very young age that men do not always mean what they say-unfortunately, 11 year old boys expect adults to do what they promise to do!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X