Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Projecting towards college

The goals for our kids as far as soccer is concerned has always been to have fun and work at something they enjoy. We have no illusions about a full ride D1 scholarship or playing at UNC. That being said, our kids would like to play in college. So, the question is: is there sufficient info out there to make a rough projection whether and at what level youth players might be able to play in college? I assume there must be some historical data somewhere but don't know where to look. Maybe coaches can use their personal experience as a rough barometer and provide some guidance. For example, I'm guessing that if you are in the National pool at U17 it's likely you will play at a top level D1 school. However, how about if you play for a team that plays in a regional premier league? How about for a D1 team, D2 team, etc. That is, could a solid MAPLE D1 player find a roster spot at a D3 school? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. For the sake of discussion, please assume that the grades, SATs, etc. are excellent so that we are not talking about an exemption because of athletic ability.

My team was a top 4 D1 Maple team, played region 1 premier league at 17's and came in 4th, was state finalist at 16's, state champions at 17's, semifinalists at 18's. Out of my 18 players, 17 went on to play in college: 5 currently play D1 (Hartford, LIU, Miami of Ohio, and Davidson), 4 play D2 (St Rose, Assumption, Merrimack, and Southern New Hampshire), and 8 play D3 (Trinity, Emory, Carnegie Mellon, Clark, Bates, and Umass Dartmouth). The other one is playing Hockey at Dartmouth and one is playing intramuarals at Umass.

Much of it depends on the combination of the school and the soccer program. For instance, one of my players went to Middlebury and didn't make the team. She transferred her sophomore year because she missed the sport dearly and is playing at Emory in Georgia with her sister. Played and started every game. Who knows why she didn't even make the Middlebury team. There is likely a place for most players that are dead set on continueing playing. But a lot of it depends on the combination of school and sport.

Good luck.

Comment

Sir Alex, what class are your players entering this year? I'm guessing juniors. Have any stopped playing? I'm just wondering based on the 50% drop out rate a poster from Connecticut gave. Also, any feedback from the player on the intramural play at UMass?
      Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

We are going through the college recruitment world right now. My daughter currently is a U17 Maple 1 player. I have learned a lot in the last year but have been told by college club coaches that there are very few mid to top Div. 1 players in MA. Saying that a lot of Div.1 lower program are not as strong as the Northeast 10 conference which those teams are in Sir ALex email above. You really need to start in Sophmore year. Start by contacting coaches in emails and then follow up with DVD etc. I have learned you need marketing, marketing & marketing. I found if you show a valid interest in a college that they are exciting also. The biggest problem I see is that parents and kids think they can play at UNC, BC, BU etc. Yes maybe if you are one of the top players in the state. So you need to be reasonable in your search. My daughter has received interest in Div. 11 schools and some high 3's and that is fine with her. I also have seen parents and players pick a school for soccer first. Don't do that. Find a school for academics first and then see if soccer would be a fit. Just my thoughts as we are going throught he process now.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM
          Sir Alex, what class are your players entering this year? I'm guessing juniors. Have any stopped playing? I'm just wondering based on the 50% drop out rate a poster from Connecticut gave. Also, any feedback from the player on the intramural play at UMass?
          4 will be seniors (CMU, St Rose, and LIU). The rest are to-be Juniors. TIME FLIES!!! I am happy to say 100% are still playing. One did transfer from Wheaton to Clark between freshman and sophomore year because it wasn't the right fit for her. Nice percentage. Actually - no feedback on the level of play at Umass Intramuarals - just that it's a lot of fun. I think she's also playing ultimate frisbee.

Comment

One thing you might try is to look at the club websites. Many clubs post a list of their alumni and what schools they are attending or have attended.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
              We are going through the college recruitment world right now. My daughter currently is a U17 Maple 1 player. I have learned a lot in the last year but have been told by college club coaches that there are very few mid to top Div. 1 players in MA. Saying that a lot of Div.1 lower program are not as strong as the Northeast 10 conference which those teams are in Sir ALex email above. You really need to start in Sophmore year. Start by contacting coaches in emails and then follow up with DVD etc. I have learned you need marketing, marketing & marketing. I found if you show a valid interest in a college that they are exciting also. The biggest problem I see is that parents and kids think they can play at UNC, BC, BU etc. Yes maybe if you are one of the top players in the state. So you need to be reasonable in your search. My daughter has received interest in Div. 11 schools and some high 3's and that is fine with her. I also have seen parents and players pick a school for soccer first. Don't do that. Find a school for academics first and then see if soccer would be a fit. Just my thoughts as we are going throught he process now.

Anonymous - here is a list of Massachusetts players and where they are going to college. Their club is listed and these girls come mainly from current U 18 but there are 10% - 15% who are current U 17 players. So if you wanted to track back to team to school you could do the work.

Good luck to you and your daughter

New College First Name Last Name Pos St/Ctry Hometown HS/Prev College Tr Club
              Boston College Amy Caldwell F MA Braintree Braintree HS South Coast Scorpions
              Boston College Natalie Crutchfield F/M MA Acton Acton-Boxborough HS Tri-Valley Eagles
              Boston College Jill MacNeil F MA Marshfield Marshfield HS South Coast Scorpions
              Boston University Kara Ruggiero MA Braintree Braintree HS South Coast Scorpions
              Brown Kate Scott F/M MA Medway Charles River United
              Bucknell Amanda Citron M/D MA Marshfield Marshfield HS MPS Boston Renegades
              Clemson Samantha Fortier F MA Wilbraham Minnechaug Reg HS South Coast Scorpions
              Columbia Keriann Nobil F/M MA Lynnfield Lynnfield HS Boston Bolts
              Delaware Christa Wilde M/D MA Holden Wachusett Reg HS Boston Renegades
              Emmanuel College Kristina Cook F MA Granby Granby Regional HS Western United Bombers
              Emmanuel College Amber DiNucci F MA Assonet Apponequet HS Nova SC
              Emmanuel College Erin Hanlon D MA Rowley Triton Regional HS Aztec SC
              Emmanuel College Stephanie Millis D MA Duxbury Duxbury HS MPS Boston Renegades
              Emmanuel College Lauren Prall F MA Abington Notre Dame of Hingham Crusaders United
              Emmanuel College Jessica Robinson MA Holliston Holliston HS New England Eagles
              Maryland Kylie Ricker F MA Bolton Nashoba Regional HS Boston Renegades
              Massachusetts Kelsey Anderson D MA Saugus Saugus HS South Coast Scorpions
              Massachusetts Therese Smith M MA Holyoke Holyoke HS Western United
              Massachusetts Alyssa Visconti MA North Reading North Reading HS South Coast Scorpions
              New Hampshire Amy Avitabile M MA Pembroke Pembroke HS South Coast Scorpions
              North Carolina Monica Welsh-Loveman G MA Wellesley Wellesley HS Boston Renegades
              Northeastern Kristen Blake F/M MA Canton Canton HS Tri-Valley Eagles
              Northeastern Lindsey Boisvert F/M MA Brewster Nauset Regional HS MPS Lady Crusaders
              Northeastern Logan Kirkpatrick G MA Westhampton Northampton School South Coast Scorpions
              Northeastern Krsiten McDermott D MA Canton Canton HS New England Eagles
              Northeastern Emily Tunney D MA Medfield Medfield HS
              Penn State Bianca D'Agostino M MA Longmeadow Loomis Chaffee
              Quinnipiac Molly McNeil M MA Medfield Medfield HS New England Eagles
              Rhode Island Jillian DiBenedetto F MA Wellesley Dana Hall HS Aztecs
              Saint Anselm Jackie Cooney G MA Braintree Braintree HS South Coast Scorpions
              Saint Anselm Kelly Cox D MA Lynnfield Lynnfield HS Spirit of Mass
              Saint Anselm Jennifer Kane D MA Plymouth Plymouth North HS Crusaders United
              Saint Anselm Steph Naugler M MA Beverley Hamilton-Wendham HS Mass Aztecs
              Saint Anselm Jennifer Pearl M MA Stoughton Stoughton HS South Coast Scorpions
              Saint Anselm Gabriella Pesce F MA Salem St Mary's HS Mass Aztecs
              Saint Anselm Kayla Pitney F MA Needham Needham HS New England Eagles
              Saint Anselm Hawley Rae D MA Marlboro Marlboro HS Inter-Bandits
              Saint Anselm Rikki Sartor F MA Andover Andover HS Mass Aztecs
              Stony Brook Danielle Tenaglia F MA North Reading North Reading HS Spirit of Mass
              Syracuse Dana Bergstrom M MA Billerica Lexington Christian Acad Spirit of Mass
              UAB Justine Hartigan MA Peabody Peabody Veterans HS Greater Boston Bolts
              Yale Kayla Matheus M/D MA Concord Concord-Carlisle HS Delta FC

Comment

I find this list interesting that no one club stands out. Most of the Maple clubs are well represented including some Div. 11 teams. I am not an MPS parent and have read the long MPS debate but I have been told that MPS have an excellent reputation with college coaches and they do a lot to help get there players recruited.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Devil

Anonymous - here is a list of Massachusetts players and where they are going to college. Their club is listed and these girls come mainly from current U 18 but there are 10% - 15% who are current U 17 players. So if you wanted to track back to team to school you could do the work.

Good luck to you and your daughter

New College First Name Last Name Pos St/Ctry Hometown HS/Prev College Tr Club
                  Boston College Amy Caldwell F MA Braintree Braintree HS South Coast Scorpions
                  Boston College Natalie Crutchfield F/M MA Acton Acton-Boxborough HS Tri-Valley Eagles
                  Boston College Jill MacNeil F MA Marshfield Marshfield HS South Coast Scorpions
                  Boston University Kara Ruggiero MA Braintree Braintree HS South Coast Scorpions
                  Brown Kate Scott F/M MA Medway Charles River United
                  Bucknell Amanda Citron M/D MA Marshfield Marshfield HS MPS Boston Renegades
                  Clemson Samantha Fortier F MA Wilbraham Minnechaug Reg HS South Coast Scorpions
                  Columbia Keriann Nobil F/M MA Lynnfield Lynnfield HS Boston Bolts
                  Delaware Christa Wilde M/D MA Holden Wachusett Reg HS Boston Renegades
                  Emmanuel College Kristina Cook F MA Granby Granby Regional HS Western United Bombers
                  Emmanuel College Amber DiNucci F MA Assonet Apponequet HS Nova SC
                  Emmanuel College Erin Hanlon D MA Rowley Triton Regional HS Aztec SC
                  Emmanuel College Stephanie Millis D MA Duxbury Duxbury HS MPS Boston Renegades
                  Emmanuel College Lauren Prall F MA Abington Notre Dame of Hingham Crusaders United
                  Emmanuel College Jessica Robinson MA Holliston Holliston HS New England Eagles
                  Maryland Kylie Ricker F MA Bolton Nashoba Regional HS Boston Renegades
                  Massachusetts Kelsey Anderson D MA Saugus Saugus HS South Coast Scorpions
                  Massachusetts Therese Smith M MA Holyoke Holyoke HS Western United
                  Massachusetts Alyssa Visconti MA North Reading North Reading HS South Coast Scorpions
                  New Hampshire Amy Avitabile M MA Pembroke Pembroke HS South Coast Scorpions
                  North Carolina Monica Welsh-Loveman G MA Wellesley Wellesley HS Boston Renegades
                  Northeastern Kristen Blake F/M MA Canton Canton HS Tri-Valley Eagles
                  Northeastern Lindsey Boisvert F/M MA Brewster Nauset Regional HS MPS Lady Crusaders
                  Northeastern Logan Kirkpatrick G MA Westhampton Northampton School South Coast Scorpions
                  Northeastern Krsiten McDermott D MA Canton Canton HS New England Eagles
                  Northeastern Emily Tunney D MA Medfield Medfield HS
                  Penn State Bianca D'Agostino M MA Longmeadow Loomis Chaffee
                  Quinnipiac Molly McNeil M MA Medfield Medfield HS New England Eagles
                  Rhode Island Jillian DiBenedetto F MA Wellesley Dana Hall HS Aztecs
                  Saint Anselm Jackie Cooney G MA Braintree Braintree HS South Coast Scorpions
                  Saint Anselm Kelly Cox D MA Lynnfield Lynnfield HS Spirit of Mass
                  Saint Anselm Jennifer Kane D MA Plymouth Plymouth North HS Crusaders United
                  Saint Anselm Steph Naugler M MA Beverley Hamilton-Wendham HS Mass Aztecs
                  Saint Anselm Jennifer Pearl M MA Stoughton Stoughton HS South Coast Scorpions
                  Saint Anselm Gabriella Pesce F MA Salem St Mary's HS Mass Aztecs
                  Saint Anselm Kayla Pitney F MA Needham Needham HS New England Eagles
                  Saint Anselm Hawley Rae D MA Marlboro Marlboro HS Inter-Bandits
                  Saint Anselm Rikki Sartor F MA Andover Andover HS Mass Aztecs
                  Stony Brook Danielle Tenaglia F MA North Reading North Reading HS Spirit of Mass
                  Syracuse Dana Bergstrom M MA Billerica Lexington Christian Acad Spirit of Mass
                  UAB Justine Hartigan MA Peabody Peabody Veterans HS Greater Boston Bolts
                  Yale Kayla Matheus M/D MA Concord Concord-Carlisle HS Delta FC
                  That is one impressive list. Congrats to those players and good luck. New coach at St A's???

Comment

Just to be sure that no one gets the wrong idea, that list of players and colleges is NOT by any means a complete list. It is merely a sample.

and don't get hung up on 'd-1' school vs 'd-2' school. there are d-1 schools with absolutely miserable soccer programs and d-2 and d-3 that are fantastic.

and my advice is to consider the VERY real fact that the player might drop out of the soccer program for whatever reason (loss of interest, academics, other interests, injury, etc.) after say 2 years. how would the 'school fit' be then??

Comment

Re: Projecting towards college

The goals for our kids as far as soccer is concerned has always been to have fun and work at something they enjoy. We have no illusions about a full ride D1 scholarship or playing at UNC. That being said, our kids would like to play in college. So, the question is: is there sufficient info out there to make a rough projection whether and at what level youth players might be able to play in college? I assume there must be some historical data somewhere but don't know where to look. Maybe coaches can use their personal experience as a rough barometer and provide some guidance. For example, I'm guessing that if you are in the National pool at U17 it's likely you will play at a top level D1 school. However, how about if you play for a team that plays in a regional premier league? How about for a D1 team, D2 team, etc. That is, could a solid MAPLE D1 player find a roster spot at a D3 school? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. For the sake of discussion, please assume that the grades, SATs, etc. are excellent so that we are not talking about an exemption because of athletic ability.
                      my daughter played Maple D and D2 for 7 years and was a competent but not outstanding player (3 to 5 goals per year as a forward). She was the best player on her HS team and usually in the top 25 to 30 in scoring in Eastern MA. She fit very comfortably in a D3 college program and was about midpoint skillwise in a team that won it's league championship. A solid D1 player would be a top player on most good D3 college teams and could play at D2 or possibly even some of the lower tier D1 teams. If she is over 5-8 with the current coaching philosophy at D1 colleges she would probably fare well as a walk on. D3 College teams have a fair share of players who played only HS and town soccer. MAPLE does not have alot of cache with many D3 coaches. The upper tier D1 players (top 2 or 3 players on a team) would do well on virtually any college team. My daughter only played one year due to an injury but it is likely that she may not have played as the new coach did not want any culinary arts students because he felt that they had too many confilicts to play. My daughter certainly had no intention of giving up her career choice for soccer. Most of the culinary arts students left the team. Also be prepared for tension between academics and athletics. My daughter was punished gradewise by several profs because she missed Friday classes for away games. Her GPA was 2.9 playing soccer and 3.6 not playing soccer. Keep that in mind.

Comment

Do not choose a college based on soccer. It is an extracurricular activity.

Too many have made that mistake.

If the school is not a good fit academically, size, location, and socially, soccer will not get one through.

Look at many of the colleges that have accepted players, most do not give out athletic scholarships. These colleges have high academic standards. Soccer might have helped, but it was only one of many possible differentiators.

I wish them all success in college!

Comment

College

Here are some players from Nova U18's who have committed to schools for soccer.

Assumption: Nicole Ardine MF Walpole HS, Nova
                          St. Michaels: Elizabeth Freiberger MF Walple HS, Nova
                          Skidmore: Lindsay Schmitt D Nipmuc HS, Nova
                          Skidmore: Erin Donnellan D Walpole HS, Nova
                          Emmanuel: Amber DiNucci F Apponnequet HS, Nova
                          Brandeis: Tiffany Pacheco F D-R HS, Nova
                          Framingham State: Jill Johnson D Mansfield HS, Nova
                          Gloucester State: Kellen Matthews G Northboro, Nova
                          UVM: Christina Newman MF D-R, Nova
                          Stonehill: Michele Norton MF Cardinal Spellman, Nova
                          Bryant: Kristin Mulry F Hingham HS, Nova

One more player who now plays for FC Greater Bolts (Tracy Kerr) Jen Leaverton has committed to St. Johns University in NY and the Big East Conference.
                          Brandeis: Amanda Bellmar D D-Y HS, Nova

Comment

Congratulations to all of these girls. So FSM, we are putting you on the case to track their careers. With any luck all will be injury-free and still playing and contributing 4 years from now!

Comment

The college recruiting season is in full swing for the U17s. Tracy Kerr's Bolts team already has 5 commitments:

Clemson - Tara Cort
                              Cinncinatti - Julie Morrissey
                              Duke -Emily Nahas
                              Skidmore - Dana Brill
                              St. John's -Jen Leaverton

I have also heard the U17 Scorpions are attracting a lot of attention. This is not surprising considering these two teams have been the top teams in their age group for 4 years. Along with their success in MAPLE and Region 1, most of these players have participated in the ODP system and have attended the top tournaments. Congrats to all the girls who are committed and good luck to the girls who are still enduring the process!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X