Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gda/ecnl

When looking at the travel expenses for tournaments and costs related to travel,fees and uniforms.Seems that ECNL is setup more for well off families than regular working people.Will GDA be similar.

Not that we need another GDA thread....but yes. GDA will not be saving you much money. It will not help diversify the player pool. Soccer will continue to be a middle to upper income sport. Except for the free MLS clubs, it is on the boys side as well

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Not that we need another GDA thread....but yes. GDA will not be saving you much money. It will not help diversify the player pool. Soccer will continue to be a middle to upper income sport. Except for the free MLS clubs, it is on the boys side as well
      There is a rather simple answer. Calculate how many cross country flights and how many hotel nights are mandated by each and then look at the percentage difference, not the dollar difference because there are some here like to paint $2,000-3,000 as a pittance. As it stands right now the cost savings looks to be around 1/3 or more which IS significant.

Comment

There is a rather simple answer. Calculate how many cross country flights and how many hotel nights are mandated by each and then look at the percentage difference, not the dollar difference because there are some here like to paint $2,000-3,000 as a pittance. As it stands right now the cost savings looks to be around 1/3 or more which IS significant.
        Well, it is a pittance.

Factor in gas to travel to and fro your 4x a week practice. That propbably easily eats up your trip cost argument.

Comment

How many flights are mandated by the DA? And how exactly dos the league operate? Do teams in the same region play each other once in the fall and once in the spring, one home and one away? I I can't fine this information spelled out anywhere in detail.

Comment

How many flights are mandated by the DA? And how exactly dos the league operate? Do teams in the same region play each other once in the fall and once in the spring, one home and one away? I I can't fine this information spelled out anywhere in detail.
            Some of the information is in the contract our D received but it is vague.

Comment

Some of the information is in the contract our D received but it is vague.
              Vague does not seem like a good strategy to attract commitment. Do the details not exist or they are obscured for some reason. Why is so hard to get any detailed information about this new GDA league?

Comment

Don't forget there is 1 game per weekend with DA and not all traveling subs will play. ECNL has 2 games per weekend.

Comment

I do not mean to put down the DA down but a lot of these clubs are not very good or never heard of before. Anybody have any idea of what the level of play will be for this league. Playing 30 games and 15 away trips sounds pretty expensive if you play each team once home and away.

Northeast
                  1) Boston Breakers Academy - Strong
                  2) Empire United Soccer Academy - Weak
                  3) FC Fury - Albertsons owner
                  4) FC Stars - Probably second team players willing to travel for DA
                  5) Long Island SC - Don't know
                  6) New York City FC - Weak
                  7) Oakwood SC - Solid
                  8) Sky Blue/NYSC - Weak

Atlantic
                  1) Cedar Stars Academy - Weak
                  2) FC Virginia - Strong
                  3) PA Classics - Weak
                  4) Penn Fusion - Strong
                  5) Sky Blue/PDA - Strong
                  6) Virginia Development Academy - Strong
                  7) Washington Spirits/Baltimore - don't know
                  8) Washington Spirits/Virginia - don't know

Would love other people's opinions on how this will play out.

Comment

I do not mean to put down the DA down but a lot of these clubs are not very good or never heard of before. Anybody have any idea of what the level of play will be for this league. Playing 30 games and 15 away trips sounds pretty expensive if you play each team once home and away.

Northeast
                    7) Oakwood SC - Solid
                    8) Sky Blue/NYSC - Weak

Atlantic
                    2) FC Virginia - Strong
                    3) PA Classics - Weak
                    4) Penn Fusion - Strong
                    5) Sky Blue/PDA - Strong

What makes a Club strong or weak according to you? I ask, becasue unless you have sampled ALL of the coaching on offer, you have no idea. If you are basing it on results, then how do you know who is or is not going to be on rosters?

The overriding problem in US soccer is that we define winning so narrowly. We think that the score on Saturday and/or Sunday is the only barometer of success at an age where many of the kids are supposedly going on to play the sport at a higher level. ( in truth this is also a bit misleading)

Winning in my kids case is getting better everyday, showing those signs in games at the weekend with a view to stepping on the field in College at a top program and being a contributor. By that measure, I think you may rate the Clubs a bit differently.

Comment

Don't forget there is 1 game per weekend with DA and not all traveling subs will play. ECNL has 2 games per weekend.
                      With ECNL they group them for travel to make sense and generally it's one week home, another away. On the boys side they'll occassionally do that for the longest travel but generally it is just one game/weekend.

I believe the DA mandates 2 events plus if you make playoffs (younger teams are less). They're usually FL and AZ, so that means flying for folks around here.

Comment

How can kids possibly be expected to learn to play soccer well without buying some pricey airline tickets a few time a year?

Comment

How can kids possibly be expected to learn to play soccer well without buying some pricey airline tickets a few time a year?
                          But of course. It all makes sense to me now! Thank you.

Comment

Northeast
                            7) Oakwood SC - Solid
                            8) Sky Blue/NYSC - Weak

Atlantic
                            2) FC Virginia - Strong
                            3) PA Classics - Weak
                            4) Penn Fusion - Strong
                            5) Sky Blue/PDA - Strong

This is interesting but I think it varies somewhat by the age groups. Aren't some clubs strong for a particular team but weaker in other age groups?

Comment

Northeast
                              7) Oakwood SC - Solid
                              8) Sky Blue/NYSC - Weak

Atlantic
                              2) FC Virginia - Strong
                              3) PA Classics - Weak
                              4) Penn Fusion - Strong
                              5) Sky Blue/PDA - Strong

You could do the same for ECNL teams and the results would be similar

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X