Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Spoken like the true town coach that you obviously are. You clearly know nothing about developing a high level talent and yet you spend thousands upon thousands of hours hypothesizing how it should be done. It is obvious that you don't have first clue about how to develop professional grade players because we are not talking about some 12 year old working out back in their yard, we are talking about what it takes to develop players that quite literally did all of that work in their back yard when they were 12 and have now progressed beyond that stage. Enough with your blanket condemnations of the skill level and the lack of creativity, you clearly sit on some sideline pretty far away from the action and can't actually gauge the speed of play because that is the actual issue, most of the DA/ECNL level kids can't play fast enough. Their foundational skills are fine. A high level high school age player in another country is totally immersed in soccer. They are not dicking around with a school team and they certainly aren't working only 4-5 hours a week. They are literally working close to 20 hours doing things like film study and strength/conditioning on top of individual and team training. You are nuts if you actually think that what the clubs in this area pass off as "high level" is anywhere near it. If you want to wax intelligently about this subject you might start by looking at what it actually going on out there instead of constantly feeding solutions that didn't even work back in your youth. Who is kidding whom?
    But you know, BTNT. You know "what it takes." The superhuman, indescribable efforts and talents of the gifted. You are just too friggin smart, BTNT.

Comment

Spoken like the true town coach that you obviously are. You clearly know nothing about developing a high level talent and yet you spend thousands upon thousands of hours hypothesizing how it should be done. It is obvious that you don't have first clue about how to develop professional grade players because we are not talking about some 12 year old working out back in their yard, we are talking about what it takes to develop players that quite literally did all of that work in their back yard when they were 12 and have now progressed beyond that stage. Enough with your blanket condemnations of the skill level and the lack of creativity, you clearly sit on some sideline pretty far away from the action and can't actually gauge the speed of play because that is the actual issue, most of the DA/ECNL level kids can't play fast enough. Their foundational skills are fine. A high level high school age player in another country is totally immersed in soccer. They are not dicking around with a school team and they certainly aren't working only 4-5 hours a week. They are literally working close to 20 hours doing things like film study and strength/conditioning on top of individual and team training. You are nuts if you actually think that what the clubs in this area pass off as "high level" is anywhere near it. If you want to wax intelligently about this subject you might start by looking at what it actually going on out there instead of constantly feeding solutions that didn't even work back in your youth. Who is kidding whom?
      I think we agree? "You are nuts if you actually think that what the clubs in this area pass off as "high level" is anywhere near it." I also didn't mention creativity or high school.

Comment

Spot on a year ago, spot on today and it will be spot on 5 years from now.

Comment

About Me/Contact Me

I am a passionate fan of football, at both the club and international level, but my first love will always be U.S. Soccer. I was in high school when the United States Men’s National Team made their magical run at the 1994 World Cup and have watched nearly every televised game since. Whether it was the heart-breaking disappointment of the 1998 and 2006 World Cups, or the exhilaration of the team’s runs in 1994, 2002 and 2010, I am 100% behind our team.

I love our women’s team as well, and no, not for the same reasons that many fair-weather fans love them. I love them because despite the fact that they are consistently ranked as the world’s best team, they play with the same desire, fire and competitiveness as our much lower-ranked men’s team. I often find myself huddled next to my computer monitor watching the women’s team’s games over a choppy internet feed because no network thought the game was worth televising.

There is something special about our teams, something that derives itself from almost never having the most talented players, to always feeling that we lack the respect we deserve. Something that comes from wins that are eked out through amazing goalkeeper play, defenders willing to sacrifice their bodies, workhorse midfielders and opportunistic forwards. Something that comes from knowing the rest of the world looks down on your team with disdain, believing there is no way your group of athletes could ever compete with them in their beautiful game. Something that comes from winning games with a team that plays better than the sum of its parts, a team that wins despite the odds, a team that wins with fortitude, organization and that most under-appreciated virtue…heart.

John D. Halloran
          johnhalloran@hotmail.com
          January 2012
          So this guy's claim to fame is that he passionately watches a bunch of soccer on his computer. That's who we want designing our country's soccer development system?

Comment

OP here,
            Thanks for digging this up. It couldn't be more true. A lot of what's been posted on this thread is simply a diversion from the facts laid out in the article.

Comment

Sorry mate but high school sports are a thing of the past and the sooner that this country comes to grip with that the better off our education system will be. Perfect case in point is the situation that happened with the Braintree girls basketball coach. Sports should not impact a school like that but unfortunately that sort of situation is common place.

Leave the soccer development to the ones that actually understand how to do it and unlike a school program, if you are involved with a club that doesn't do that all that well or that you don't agree with , you can just switch clubs.
              Might be the dumbest post in the history of TS.

Sorry mate.

Comment

This guy believing Girls DA is "high level" is pretty amusing.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o85xn...Yx4Q/giphy.gif

Comment

omg that clip is one of the best evah!

Comment

Did anyone actually read the article? It is nothing but a rehash of a bunch of very very old ideas that he spins together to justify his high school coaching career.

1. The multi-sport athlete - Basically this argument comes down to first being a tremendous athlete and then work rate and the value of cross training. I personally think that the Europeans invalidated much of the need to play multiple sports decades ago with their approaches to training athletes. They don't have world class soccer players playing high school basketball so they can learn to track a ball in the air, they design specific drills that train those skills and hammer them in what we now call strength and conditioning sessions. Less chance of getting hurt. If you believe that all the US does is just grab the best athlete then this is not a guru you are going to follow.

2. Early recruiting - That cat is out of the bag and no one is going to get it back in. It would be silly to build a system that doesn't recognize the primary motivation behind most of the club soccer industry. The interesting part is if you follow a lot of his logic what he is really attacking is the ECNL way of doing things and yet he's against USSF trying to put more of the focus on player development largely it seems because it takes the players away from high school soccer. The argument doesn't make sense.

3. Bad coaching - It is rather funny how on one hand he bashes college coaches for being bad but applauds high school coaches for being good. I've watched a lot of high school, club and college soccer over the years and can't say that I've walked away thinking the high school teams play the beautiful game while the other levels are clueless. Comes across as having a bit of a chip on their shoulder. I've seen plenty of highly technical college teams play direct when they see the opportunity or a weakness. Being able to switch styles to win a game is what being highly technical is really about. Seems this guy might have missed that lesson.

Comment

An agenda filled, biased article written by a HS coach. Hmmmm...ok. DO whatever you think is right for your child and the chips will fall where they fall.

The problem with discussions such as theres is no one really knows enough about each persons circumstances (and they are all different)

Comment

An agenda filled, biased article written by a HS coach. Hmmmm...ok. DO whatever you think is right for your child and the chips will fall where they fall.

The problem with discussions such as theres is no one really knows enough about each persons circumstances (and they are all different)
                        Nonsense.

Comment

Did anyone actually read the article? It is nothing but a rehash of a bunch of very very old ideas that he spins together to justify his high school coaching career.

1. The multi-sport athlete - Basically this argument comes down to first being a tremendous athlete and then work rate and the value of cross training. I personally think that the Europeans invalidated much of the need to play multiple sports decades ago with their approaches to training athletes. They don't have world class soccer players playing high school basketball so they can learn to track a ball in the air, they design specific drills that train those skills and hammer them in what we now call strength and conditioning sessions. Less chance of getting hurt. If you believe that all the US does is just grab the best athlete then this is not a guru you are going to follow.

2. Early recruiting - That cat is out of the bag and no one is going to get it back in. It would be silly to build a system that doesn't recognize the primary motivation behind most of the club soccer industry. The interesting part is if you follow a lot of his logic what he is really attacking is the ECNL way of doing things and yet he's against USSF trying to put more of the focus on player development largely it seems because it takes the players away from high school soccer. The argument doesn't make sense.

3. Bad coaching - It is rather funny how on one hand he bashes college coaches for being bad but applauds high school coaches for being good. I've watched a lot of high school, club and college soccer over the years and can't say that I've walked away thinking the high school teams play the beautiful game while the other levels are clueless. Comes across as having a bit of a chip on their shoulder. I've seen plenty of highly technical college teams play direct when they see the opportunity or a weakness. Being able to switch styles to win a game is what being highly technical is really about. Seems this guy might have missed that lesson.
                          ^^ This. Esp point 2. The ECNL is the one stop shop for recruiting. Its how they make all their money. Its the thing they hype more than anything else.

Comment

Nonsense.
                            So doing what right by your kid is nonsense ..ok .

Comment

No, the article is not agenda-filled. It adds value to the discussion instead of saying DA is a better league than ECNL or NPL.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/...pment-academy/

So doing what right by your kid is nonsense ..ok .

Comment

No, the article is not agenda-filled. It adds value to the discussion instead of saying DA is a better league than ECNL or NPL.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/...pment-academy/
                                The article clearly has an agenda. It has some valid points but glosses over the potentially negative aspects of high school soccer. It knocks club coaches for things that apply to all coaches, says nothing about the problem of too many games & practices crammed into a short season, etc...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X