Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GDAP will be ruinous for girls development

Just learned that a couple of rising freshman from our town/school have signed on for GDAP and will forego HS soccer. Got me to thinking, GDAP will really do more harm than good for girls.

My points:

1. HS sports serve as a platform for kids to integrate into the school community. My D readily admits that the quality of soccer is shiza, but she wouldn't give it up the experience for anything. The bus rides to games, hanging out after practice, cheering for other classmates, having them support you is all a part of growing up and developing a sense of community. Foregoing these types of extra-curricular activities will lessen kids HS experience, IMHO.
    2. Girls motivations change as they grow. Kids in 7-9 grade may have aspirations to make a national team, play big time soccer only to have that desire wane as they mature. What happens then? Give up GDAP and return to HS? Breaking into a team as a junior will be difficult. They may get lots of PT, but it's more than that...see #1
    3. Kids' focus will be too narrow. Soccer will be their life at the exclusion of all else. When HS and College are finished, what then? (see HoopDreams)

There are those that say that HS stunts kids' development, kids need a higher platform. To that I call BS. In fact, it may help development by allowing them to try things they wouldn't ordinarily do. If kids want additional tech training, they can get that via a trainer or ad hoc club practices during the season.

I've kicked it off...now let's discuss...

Signed,
    not Fred

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just learned that a couple of rising freshman from our town/school have signed on for GDAP and will forego HS soccer. Got me to thinking, GDAP will really do more harm than good for girls.

My points:

1. HS sports serve as a platform for kids to integrate into the school community. My D readily admits that the quality of soccer is shiza, but she wouldn't give it up the experience for anything. The bus rides to games, hanging out after practice, cheering for other classmates, having them support you is all a part of growing up and developing a sense of community. Foregoing these types of extra-curricular activities will lessen kids HS experience, IMHO.
    2. Girls motivations change as they grow. Kids in 7-9 grade may have aspirations to make a national team, play big time soccer only to have that desire wane as they mature. What happens then? Give up GDAP and return to HS? Breaking into a team as a junior will be difficult. They may get lots of PT, but it's more than that...see #1
    3. Kids' focus will be too narrow. Soccer will be their life at the exclusion of all else. When HS and College are finished, what then? (see HoopDreams)

There are those that say that HS stunts kids' development, kids need a higher platform. To that I call BS. In fact, it may help development by allowing them to try things they wouldn't ordinarily do. If kids want additional tech training, they can get that via a trainer or ad hoc club practices during the season.

Signed,
    not Fred
    Completely agree but I understand some kids just don't care about playing for their school or hate the coach etc. For those it's an easy decision. My daughters HS team is not great but the time spent together is. She'd never give it up. She'll prob play in college but academics come first. To us it's all about having a good life balance.

Comment

My points:

Signed,
      not Fred
      Sorry mate but high school sports are a thing of the past and the sooner that this country comes to grip with that the better off our education system will be. Perfect case in point is the situation that happened with the Braintree girls basketball coach. Sports should not impact a school like that but unfortunately that sort of situation is common place.

Leave the soccer development to the ones that actually understand how to do it and unlike a school program, if you are involved with a club that doesn't do that all that well or that you don't agree with , you can just switch clubs.

Comment

Completely agree but I understand some kids just don't care about playing for their school or hate the coach etc. For those it's an easy decision. My daughters HS team is not great but the time spent together is. She'd never give it up. She'll prob play in college but academics come first. To us it's all about having a good life balance.
        it really depends where your kid lies on the totem pole. there are only 2-3 in each year class statewide that have a shot at being called up to a NT camp. If thats not you, then giving up HS is unnecessary. I agree with above, HS is an experience, a great life experience, not development. Dont pass it up for something that isnt there, you only get one chance. If HS isnt your thing, bad coach, bad teammates, then thats another story too. GDA is not going to make you a NT player. It should help NT level players concentrate on skills, but that remains to be seen. You cant get better 4x a week playing against weak players. If all the best dont go to DA in a given club, you are wasting your time.

Comment

Sorry mate but high school sports are a thing of the past and the sooner that this country comes to grip with that the better off our education system will be. Perfect case in point is the situation that happened with the Braintree girls basketball coach. Sports should not impact a school like that but unfortunately that sort of situation is common place.

Leave the soccer development to the ones that actually understand how to do it and unlike a school program, if you are involved with a club that doesn't do that all that well or that you don't agree with , you can just switch clubs.
          But the question is... Giving up HS, to what end? So, in other words... I don't disagree that there isn't a lot of real development in high school sports... But what is your long term plan? Do you think your Mia will make a National team? An Olympic team? Get a DI scholarship? Lol. Here's a newsflash for you. She won't! You are therefore pushing your daughter (face it, you are), into a laser beam focus in soccer. Why? Get them involved in other activities, study hard, make good friends, participate in extra curriculars... That's where they will flourish. On the boys side, I see so many of these boys devoting all their time and energy into soccer... For what? I have yet to meet a happy Academy player on the boys side... I'm not kidding!

Comment

Lots of jaded HS parents and coach's posting lately

Comment

Not the poster but no other sport has this kind of pro league involvement and disdain for HS sports. Yet colleges and the pros seem to have no trouble finding football and basketball players. Baseball has it's own minor league system for young men into pro players. For the top 1% of soccer players who MIGHT play on the international stage someday? Have it. For the rest getting drawn into it? No need for it (unless you HS really sucks and you really don't want to do it).

Comment

My points:

Signed,
                not Fred
                NY lurker here! I get people's issue with HS soccer. My oldest loved it, it's honestly what convinced her to play in college. Her club tean was middle of the road NPL and she wasn't sure she could cut it in college play, but after a ton of accolades (multiple MVP awards, All-state/region/county etc, team captain, all-star team) she had the confidence to talk to college coaches and "sell" herself. I know people will say those awards don't mean anything, but when you have a kid who isn't sure she's good enough to play D1, that kind of acknowledgement means the world to her self-esteem. She's currently a junior and very happy playing for a mid-level D1 program.

My younger one would walk away from HS soccer in a heartbeat. She's a much better technical player than her sister ever was and is a starter on her ECNL team and gets good PT. She definitely wants to play in college. Here's the thing, she will NEVER consider giving up HS track. She's been on Varsity track since she was 12 (7th grade) and while she and Her coaches all know it's her "2nd sport", she loves it. So what do you do when school soccer isn't the issue, but another sport is? Her love of track doesn't lessen her desire to become the best soccer player she can, it doesn't lessen her desire to play with the best in her age group. Soccer (as it does now) would still come first, But That's not good enough. My kid was very interested in GDA. She's not been to a YNT camp but gets invited to NTCs and ID2 and PDP and all that, so I'm guessing she'd be a good fit for GDA, but she'll never go out for it.

Comment

Thank you Andy Capp. However, US basketball has done quite well with kids playing HS sports. Secondly, I think part of the problem is that most coaches (those with funny accents included) do not understand what it takes and are more focused on winning at younger ages than development. If one wants to really change things up, begin with focusing on creativity and skill at the younger ages (up thru U12/13) and ease into competition during HS years.

Now go back to the pub and finish your pint and game of snooker.

Comment

Thank you Andy Capp. However, US basketball has done quite well with kids playing HS sports. Secondly, I think part of the problem is that most coaches (those with funny accents included) do not understand what it takes and are more focused on winning at younger ages than development. If one wants to really change things up, begin with focusing on creativity and skill at the younger ages (up thru U12/13) and ease into competition during HS years.

Now go back to the pub and finish your pint and game of snooker.
                    SO has football, track and baseball. Yes there are clubs and trainers involved with all of those sports, but none ban HS participation. And plenty of athletes are discovered through their HS accomplishments in those sports, not necessarily expensive pay to play clubs and leagues. Soccer is f;d up.

Comment

My points:

Signed,
                      not Fred
                      While I agree with most of your points I don't think you made an effective argument as to why "GDA will be ruinous for girls development." My thinking is that while it won't be "ruinous" it also think it won't be helpful either. So in the meantime girls soccer will get watered down even more, more turmoil and tough decisions to be made - and for what? A 1/10th degree of improvement in the NT, who already play each other the same ECNL teams and then have their own NT training? All they're doing now is playing each other with new uniforms. It isn't like there were two AMAZING leagues out there and they're being combined into one for the best of the best. It's another shell game by USSF.

Comment

While I agree with most of your points I don't think you made an effective argument as to why "GDA will be ruinous for girls development." My thinking is that while it won't be "ruinous" it also think it won't be helpful either. So in the meantime girls soccer will get watered down even more, more turmoil and tough decisions to be made - and for what? A 1/10th degree of improvement in the NT, who already play each other the same ECNL teams and then have their own NT training? All they're doing now is playing each other with new uniforms. It isn't like there were two AMAZING leagues out there and they're being combined into one for the best of the best. It's another shell game by USSF.
                        The OP is just pissed off because his high school team has been depreciated to almost nothing. The other thing that is going to be dramatically depreciated is the ECNL. 2-3 into the future, it won't matter either and that will bring about it's slow and painful death. The NT level will have what it has been striving for -- an exclusive training environment for the top 1% and the rest will settle on regional leagues like the new Maple and NEP because they will actually serve the needs of those players much better than the pretentious national leagues will.

Comment

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

The OP is just pissed off because his high school team has been depreciated to almost nothing. The other thing that is going to be dramatically depreciated is the ECNL. 2-3 into the future, it won't matter either and that will bring about it's slow and painful death. The NT level will have what it has been striving for -- an exclusive training environment for the top 1% and the rest will settle on regional leagues like the new Maple and NEP because they will actually serve the needs of those players much better than the pretentious national leagues will.
                          Ha! That's a good one. Now let's get back to the original question. The term "ruinous" was referring to development overall, not just soccer. It was a bit of hyperbole, simply to get the ball rolling. That said I do believe that GDAP will be a negative for girls development net/net. Pulling kids out of all extracurriculars at the age of 12/13 limits their exposure to other activities, putting an overemphasis on soccer over all else. Now let's play it forward. Here are the possible outcomes:

1. Kid makes NT and plays 6 years in the pro league. (and there are 22 spots, how likely is that?). 1-2 will be wealthy enough to call their own shots. The rest, will have to get a real job. However, they know nothing else other than soccer. Wind up as your local club coach. If lucky, get a college gig....

2. Kid makes a top 20 program (let's say 150 slots available/yr). Classes geared around practices and games, limited their education. At the end of it all, they can look back at their soccer accomplishments, but what else have they got? No memories of hanging out with friends after practices and games. No connection with their high school or community. Soccer has been their whole life. Where do they go from there? (Have a look at the coaches at your local club, is that the best career choice for kids?).

3. Kid makes a mid-major (could also be accomplished with ECNL, NPL or attending clinics).
                          Left wondering what life would have been like if, they had been able to do more things as an adolescent.

4. Kid decides gets cut, injured or decides that it's not for them after a couple of years. Kid misses out on a couple of years hanging out with their HS friends, playing other sports becoming part of the community (e.g. being a kid!). May join HS as a junior, but their high school experience is limited. However, at least they'll have some HS left.

5. Kid goes through DA, gets a scholarship, burns out as a freshman never to play again.

Which ones of these are most/least likely for the DA kids?

Comment

And the U.S. will still have crappy National teams and your kids won't be on them! 😜. HS is high school... It's fun! Have a blast with your intense "Academy" level soccer... I'm sure it will get you far in life.

Comment

And his HS would be the exception. Most won't have more 1-2 at the most, and then it will be in richer soccer towns - money wise and culture. A typical HS will see very little DA impact

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X