Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I couldn't disagree with you more. I have won 4 indoor trophies and 2 outdoor championships the last 2 years with my U12 boys. We cut bait with the weak players at the end of our bench after every season. Next year we are going to the big game, 11 v 11. My best 11 vs your losers, we are going to take it all. If one of my players complains about the heat, no water for you! Step to the side, the U13 Road warriors are going to come out to play!!!

The job is done! You hate us, because you ain't us!
    Hilarious 😂 , unfortunately this is the mindset of the bigger clubs.
    Big player pools, recruiting and big wins with little work.

Comment

Develop your players. Too many coaches nowadays seeking those wins to feed their ego. They search around other teams tapping up their ‘best players’ looking for all the success without putting in some hard work.

If you’re one of these coaches that try and win at all costs then I’ve got news for you – YOU ARE THE ONES THAT AREN’T GOOD ENOUGH. Put the fun into learning and make sessions enjoyable.

Don’t leave that kid on the sidelines, playing 2 or 3 minutes a match, draining any confidence he had left from him.

As coaches, it’s our job to develop these players through fun, enjoyment but most of all involvement.

Believe in your players but above all……DO YOUR JOB.
      Psst. This will NEVER change, not as long as the cash keeps rolling in.

Comment

Psst. This will NEVER change, not as long as the cash keeps rolling in.
        You folks continue to be lost in the fog.
        While not every parent lives in the GS world, enough look at league standings to help formulate a club or team decision.

If I ran a purely developmental team and/or league, it would fold in months. Nobody in this country seriously entertains the notion of development, unless you're buying a home.
        This idea continues to be the haven for parents whose player is not good enough to make the more competitive team. You rarely hear this complaint from the "elite" player.

And we need to have a better definition of what "development" truly means. It is a multi-faceted concept that covers a broad range of practice and theory. It means many different things to many different people and coaches.

Comment

Hilarious 😂 , unfortunately this is the mindset of the bigger clubs.
          Big player pools, recruiting and big wins with little work.
          I actually see it more from smaller clubs. They are inferior to talent development, so they are constantly harping on "we beat so and so NEP team in the tourney". And, they play for results vs. style.

Comment

Ultimately a lot of this is up to the player. THEY need to work on their own to continue to develop, ball at their feet (a lot), futsal, extra training on their own. I have seen a lot of players that early on were very good, but because they didn't put in the extra effort, were passed by. Not everything falls on the coaches shoulders.....3 or 4 hours of practice isn't enough to turn a kid into an elite level player.

Comment

Ultimately a lot of this is up to the player. THEY need to work on their own to continue to develop, ball at their feet (a lot), futsal, extra training on their own. I have seen a lot of players that early on were very good, but because they didn't put in the extra effort, were passed by. Not everything falls on the coaches shoulders.....3 or 4 hours of practice isn't enough to turn a kid into an elite level player.
              I look at it as the coach is like google maps. They can give the way to get there, but it's up tot he player to follow the path laid out for them.

Not everyone is capable, and that's OK.

Comment

Nobody in this country seriously entertains the notion of development, unless you're buying a home.
                This idea continues to be the haven for parents whose player is not good enough to make the more competitive team. You rarely hear this complaint from the "elite" player.
                Why not just say "development is for pussies" and cut to the chase? LOL

Comment

Develop your players. Too many coaches nowadays seeking those wins to feed their ego. They search around other teams tapping up their ‘best players’ looking for all the success without putting in some hard work.

If you’re one of these coaches that try and win at all costs then I’ve got news for you – YOU ARE THE ONES THAT AREN’T GOOD ENOUGH. Put the fun into learning and make sessions enjoyable.

Don’t leave that kid on the sidelines, playing 2 or 3 minutes a match, draining any confidence he had left from him.

As coaches, it’s our job to develop these players through fun, enjoyment but most of all involvement.

Believe in your players but above all……DO YOUR JOB.
                  Is this a joke or there's just some unhappy parent that there kid is not playing enough. First if a kid is only playing 2-3 minutes a game which seems almost impossible then the parent should say something to the coach. If you don't like the coaches style leave. Is your kid not having fun at practices? Sometimes learning the basics can be a bit boring for some kids that can't focus. What would your solution be have the kids just run around and not learn. Do you yell at your kids teacher if your kids isn't having fun in school? What's the difference between the two?
                  You forget soccer is a business to some where if you don't produce wins you lose your job.
                  Would you be happy if your team lost every game? If a coach looses every game they probably won't be back coaching. Development and wins come hand in hand. You make good players you will probably win.

Comment

Is this a joke or there's just some unhappy parent that there kid is not playing enough. First if a kid is only playing 2-3 minutes a game which seems almost impossible then the parent should say something to the coach. If you don't like the coaches style leave. Is your kid not having fun at practices? Sometimes learning the basics can be a bit boring for some kids that can't focus. What would your solution be have the kids just run around and not learn. Do you yell at your kids teacher if your kids isn't having fun in school? What's the difference between the two?
                    You forget soccer is a business to some where if you don't produce wins you lose your job.
                    Would you be happy if your team lost every game? If a coach looses every game they probably won't be back coaching. Development and wins come hand in hand. You make good players you will probably win.
                    Exactly. Not just that, but if you don't win, the parents leave and you don't have enough kids to field a team. It's a balance. If you don't know that, you never coached.

Comment

So if your child plays for a coach that is really focused on winning before they become at least U12 or so, run...fast. I say this because what are you playing for at that age ? Except for indoor leagues, they don't even keep standings until at least U11 where town competitive teams might try and get to MTOC and club teams start competing for playoffs when they reach U12 or U13. My son played town through U12 and still plays club and I guess we have been fortunate enough not to play for one of these types of coaches. I also coached town competitive teams from U8 through U13, and until they reached U12 I absolutely played every player the same amount each game (or at least darn close as its tough to be exact) regardless of score, and even then I never had a player that played just a handful of minutes in a game. We focused on development and getting better individually and as a team. We got absolutely hammered the first year and a half or so while playing against some coaches who would play their best players much of the game and were obsessed with winning, and then things started to change. By the 3rd or 4th season we beat those teams consistently. 90 percent of the kids now play on club teams and continue to grow and develop under coaches who are frankly better than me and have more coaching experience but I wanted to at least give every player an opportunity to grow and develop and give them an opportunity to play and enjoy the game. That seems to have become less important these days. It's why I just watch from the sidelines as a parent these days.

Comment

So if your child plays for a coach that is really focused on winning before they become at least U12 or so, run...fast. I say this because what are you playing for at that age ? Except for indoor leagues, they don't even keep standings until at least U11 where town competitive teams might try and get to MTOC and club teams start competing for playoffs when they reach U12 or U13. My son played town through U12 and still plays club and I guess we have been fortunate enough not to play for one of these types of coaches. I also coached town competitive teams from U8 through U13, and until they reached U12 I absolutely played every player the same amount each game (or at least darn close as its tough to be exact) regardless of score, and even then I never had a player that played just a handful of minutes in a game. We focused on development and getting better individually and as a team. We got absolutely hammered the first year and a half or so while playing against some coaches who would play their best players much of the game and were obsessed with winning, and then things started to change. By the 3rd or 4th season we beat those teams consistently. 90 percent of the kids now play on club teams and continue to grow and develop under coaches who are frankly better than me and have more coaching experience but I wanted to at least give every player an opportunity to grow and develop and give them an opportunity to play and enjoy the game. That seems to have become less important these days. It's why I just watch from the sidelines as a parent these days.
                        I had a similar experience, but I didn't play the kids equally. I made sure each kid played at least 50% of the game according to the guidance I received from the club. I told the kids their playing time would be based on how often they came to practice and how well they played. The weaker players came to practice more and worked harder to become better players. We were at the top of our league in less than a year. If you explain to kids that they have to earn playing time, they understand it.

Comment

Leaving a team ain't easy. Gotta find another team midseason with a spot open, and come up with more $$$ to join that team. Most families can't do that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X