Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are some soccer clubs charging tryout fees?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it seems rather reasonable. $25 is affordable and serves as a qualifier for player interest. Keeps the tryout tourists away

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Because they can? There are clubs that could charge $50 and lose no one. I'm surprised they don't all do it already. Parents would pay it.
      Yep, OP was not smart to complain about it on here. Any bet the rest of the clubs will be following suit next year now that the idea is being spread around? Parents will definitely pay it.

Comment

Someone has to pay for the beer and chips while they fill out rosters! C'mon!
        Hahahaha

Comment

I think Bayside FC also charges for tryout.

Comment

Fields are usually booked for the year or at least the season. Tryouts usually happen on what would normally be practice days - clubs don't extend the season to run tryouts so there shouldn't be any extra cost or if so it's minimal. Coaches also have season or year long agreements. Charging for tryouts is a way for a club to cushion their bank account.
            Your probable right about the club making a few bucks off of it it. Club tryouts are the start of a new year. I would assume coach are free to to leave after the last spring game. Unless they have a contract stating the end date. If a coach is leaving why would they be at tryouts for the next year? Renting a field is not cheap depending on what field could be 200 an hour. This I would assume is included in the next years budget. Tryouts I don't think are included in the player tuition unless you pay and the clud credits your account with the tryout fee.

Comment

Your probable right about the club making a few bucks off of it it. Club tryouts are the start of a new year. I would assume coach are free to to leave after the last spring game. Unless they have a contract stating the end date. If a coach is leaving why would they be at tryouts for the next year? Renting a field is not cheap depending on what field could be 200 an hour. This I would assume is included in the next years budget. Tryouts I don't think are included in the player tuition unless you pay and the clud credits your account with the tryout fee.
              Tryout costs are included in player fees. All club expenses have to be reconciled with player fees as that is their primary source of revenue. Business 101.

Comment

It's like a college application fee. What a great scam!

What else can they come up with? How about a once a year "facility improvement fee" just like some gyms charge?

Comment

Tryout costs are included in player fees. All club expenses have to be reconciled with player fees as that is their primary source of revenue. Business 101.
                  The clubs that charge a tryout fee are either 1) poorly managed and have a year end budget shortfall or 2) greedy and want to nickel and dime you

Comment

Indeed. Which, when you really think about it, makes the parent of a player paying full retail to be on the regional C team of ABC FC (and let's not even get into the quality of that coach) a ****ing fool.

Comment

Indeed. Which, when you really think about it, makes the parent of a player paying full retail to be on the regional C team of ABC FC (and let's not even get into the quality of that coach) a ****ing fool.
                      Not really. If you think about it, the program for a regional A team is probably real close to that of a regional A team. The coach for A team might be better and might cost more, but I've seen really good C team coaches, 10x better than any town coach. Not everyone is in it for college aspirations. So I don't fault anyone for trying to improve, pay the same regional fee, and get to point where they really enjoy the game and play for their high school team.

Comment

The clubs that charge a tryout fee are either 1) poorly managed and have a year end budget shortfall or 2) greedy and want to nickel and dime you
                        Exactly! It's a true sign of what they'll expect from you...$$$$$.

Comment

This is awesome...they are learning from the airlines. Treat customers like a herd of cattle being lead to slaughter. What's that, you want to try out, that's a fee. Oh, now you made the team and you need to register so please pay the registration fee. Hey, next week we have an away game so please pay the coaches gasoline fee. Did you say you need the code to use the bathroom at the field ? Well, we sell it for a dollar and you get a token to put in the lock. Yeah, yeah, we are definitely a non profit and are motivated to develop all of the kids on our fourth level team to be college players. Gotta love it...and the parents just continue to pay and pay and pay. Oh...and please dont forget to pay the full $2,500 tuition by July 1st or we won't give you your uniform or a produce a player card so your child can play. Bend over and take it !

Comment

This is awesome...they are learning from the airlines. Treat customers like a herd of cattle being lead to slaughter. What's that, you want to try out, that's a fee. Oh, now you made the team and you need to register so please pay the registration fee. Hey, next week we have an away game so please pay the coaches gasoline fee. Did you say you need the code to use the bathroom at the field ? Well, we sell it for a dollar and you get a token to put in the lock. Yeah, yeah, we are definitely a non profit and are motivated to develop all of the kids on our fourth level team to be college players. Gotta love it...and the parents just continue to pay and pay and pay. Oh...and please dont forget to pay the full $2,500 tuition by July 1st or we won't give you your uniform or a produce a player card so your child can play. Bend over and take it !
                            I have been coaching for years and never once asked for gas money...and no, it's not built into my pay.
                            I barely break even after taxes and expenses

Comment

I have been coaching for years and never once asked for gas money...and no, it's not built into my pay.
                              I barely break even after taxes and expenses
                              Yes, understood . My post was meant to jab at those clubs that seem to nickel and dime parents and just continually drain their bank accounts and for the most part that rarely goes into the coaches pockets. I think its fair to say that most youth soccer coaches are not in it for the money. I am sure there are exceptions, but the ones I have dealt with don't drive range rovers.

Comment

anyone?
                                if tournaments can force you to stay at their selected hotels ( and hugely benefit from it), why can't clubs charge for tryouts?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X