X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kendall Academy (B 2004)

Fellow Talking Soccerians,

Thoughts on Kendall Academy for boys 2004 are much appreciated. My son is on a travel soccer team and got invited to "try out" for the Academy. He likes his current team and his coach, and is learning how to play the game (Coach is teaching them how to play the game). The question is whether we should sit it out a year and hope he gets an invite next year or go for it this year. One of the reasons for waiting is that my son got invited to ODP Alabama camp this year and is going for the experience. And I know, there are some of you that feel it is a money grab and waste of time (talking about both ODP and DA) but looking for some insight.

If you are going to bash or praise Kendall Academy, please provide some insight and/or reasoning. Saying it sucks or its great without a reason is meaningless.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Thoughts on Kendall Academy for boys 2004 are much appreciated. My son is on a travel soccer team and got invited to "try out" for the Academy. He likes his current team and his coach, and is learning how to play the game (Coach is teaching them how to play the game). The question is whether we should sit it out a year and hope he gets an invite next year or go for it this year. One of the reasons for waiting is that my son got invited to ODP Alabama camp this year and is going for the experience. And I know, there are some of you that feel it is a money grab and waste of time (talking about both ODP and DA) but looking for some insight.

If you are going to bash or praise Kendall Academy, please provide some insight and/or reasoning. Saying it sucks or its great without a reason is meaningless.
    I don't know much about that team but I have dealt with DA related issues. many times parents look at DA as a validation of their kid being good. Chances are your kid is probably good. Now that that's over with the question is - where will he become a better player in the next year, his current situation or Kendall 04 DA? in answering this consider if your kid needs extended playing time to get better. consider how many kids would be ahead of him on the DA depth chart. of course, his non-DA option needs to be very good as well. I am giving you a serious answer since I have asked myself many of the same questions. the end game needs to be that your kid is really good at 15 or 16. there's no one way to get there.

Comment

The problem is that your current team is ranked 87th for a reason. It's because of coaching and b cause the kids around your son play for fun. Your son is pretty good but he is forced to hold the ball too long bc when he passes his teammates loose the ball. Go to a better club team or go to Kendall 2004 - they are good.

Comment

I don't know much about that team but I have dealt with DA related issues. many times parents look at DA as a validation of their kid being good. Chances are your kid is probably good. Now that that's over with the question is - where will he become a better player in the next year, his current situation or Kendall 04 DA? in answering this consider if your kid needs extended playing time to get better. consider how many kids would be ahead of him on the DA depth chart. of course, his non-DA option needs to be very good as well. I am giving you a serious answer since I have asked myself many of the same questions. the end game needs to be that your kid is really good at 15 or 16. there's no one way to get there.
        Wow, a thoughtful and balanced response. Thank you for the insight and responding. I think he can continue to grow where he is at. One of the concerns is his ability to "break into" the academy next year. Does anyone know whether you have to play for their pre-academy team or can one just start at the academy--assuming of course he is good enough.

Comment

The problem is that your current team is ranked 87th for a reason. It's because of coaching and b cause the kids around your son play for fun. Your son is pretty good but he is forced to hold the ball too long bc when he passes his teammates loose the ball. Go to a better club team or go to Kendall 2004 - they are good.
          First, you are making a lot of assumptions and you know what happens when that is done.
          So no, my son does not play for the 87th ranked team and your description of the situation is inaccurate.

And just out of curiosity, what are you using for ranking? Gotsoccer? If so, you know there is a better and more accurate ranking website right?

Comment

My son's have done both. I would recommend the ODP Alabama for the experience, more than likely nothing will come of it if you don't know anyone in the soccer world. They don't always pick the best players for the ODP team that travels after Alabama.I have seen it first hand. Yet, it is a unique experience and if you have the money you will provide your son with something not everyone gets to experience. As for the Academy at Kendall, you need to see who the coach is going to be, I would advise you try out, you are under no commitment to have your child go regardless, it is possible he might not be selected, again i have seen better players not selected because someone who is part of the soccer fraternity makes sure their son, nephew etc., get the nod. This has happened and my son was picked for the Academy, and I have been there for those tryouts and wonder when the season begins why, and how they did not pick X,Y,or Z kid from the tryouts. If he is selected then check who the Coach will be and what his current team has to offer that may be more advantageous. One last thing, I can tell you that unless your son already has the passion for soccer, I would not send them to Kendall for the Academy. That is not something they nurture. The only one that nurtured that is no longer there.They also don't nurture individual skills or creativity, they enforce the US soccer prescribed style of play.

Comment

US Soccer has a new youth director and perhaps if what he says is true, the youth academies will start to allow creativity from its players and be less rigid. If you believe the article they may even make sure the coaches manage themselves so as to not micormanage their players on the field during games.

Here is the link to interview of the new youth director:
              http://www.ussoccerda.com/20170330-f...ent-academy-qa

Comment

Wow, a thoughtful and balanced response. Thank you for the insight and responding. I think he can continue to grow where he is at. One of the concerns is his ability to "break into" the academy next year. Does anyone know whether you have to play for their pre-academy team or can one just start at the academy--assuming of course he is good enough.
                as an 04 my guess is your kid is 12. that's still really young. when he gets to DA he should be the strongest player possible. if by waiting a year your kid could be a DA starter, wait the year. hit DA strong. you don't want to be no.18 on the roster. that's worse than being no. 1 on the reserve squad in my opinion.

just my thoughts and someone going through something similar

Comment

My son's have done both. I would recommend the ODP Alabama for the experience, more than likely nothing will come of it if you don't know anyone in the soccer world. They don't always pick the best players for the ODP team that travels after Alabama.I have seen it first hand. Yet, it is a unique experience and if you have the money you will provide your son with something not everyone gets to experience. As for the Academy at Kendall, you need to see who the coach is going to be, I would advise you try out, you are under no commitment to have your child go regardless, it is possible he might not be selected, again i have seen better players not selected because someone who is part of the soccer fraternity makes sure their son, nephew etc., get the nod. This has happened and my son was picked for the Academy, and I have been there for those tryouts and wonder when the season begins why, and how they did not pick X,Y,or Z kid from the tryouts. If he is selected then check who the Coach will be and what his current team has to offer that may be more advantageous. One last thing, I can tell you that unless your son already has the passion for soccer, I would not send them to Kendall for the Academy. That is not something they nurture. The only one that nurtured that is no longer there.They also don't nurture individual skills or creativity, they enforce the US soccer prescribed style of play.
                  Thank you for the thoughtful response. My son says he has the passion but not sure it is driving him yet.

Comment

US Soccer has a new youth director and perhaps if what he says is true, the youth academies will start to allow creativity from its players and be less rigid. If you believe the article they may even make sure the coaches manage themselves so as to not micormanage their players on the field during games.

Here is the link to interview of the new youth director:
                    http://www.ussoccerda.com/20170330-f...ent-academy-qa
                    Thank you for the info. Let's hope it goes down that path.

Comment

as an 04 my guess is your kid is 12. that's still really young. when he gets to DA he should be the strongest player possible. if by waiting a year your kid could be a DA starter, wait the year. hit DA strong. you don't want to be no.18 on the roster. that's worse than being no. 1 on the reserve squad in my opinion.

just my thoughts and someone going through something similar
                      Good point, and thank you for the thoughtful response. I think the year with his current team might be beneficial and hopefully he matures a little bit and decides what his end goal with soccer is. Because the end goal is what will determine whether he goes to the DA and give up high school soccer.

Comment

Good point, and thank you for the thoughtful response. I think the year with his current team might be beneficial and hopefully he matures a little bit and decides what his end goal with soccer is. Because the end goal is what will determine whether he goes to the DA and give up high school soccer.
                        I am assuming that your current situation is very good but from my experience there are few non-DA situations that compare to DA in terms of intensity of practice. coaching, yes, there are some great coaches with non-DA teams. but scrimmaging daily against top kids, very hard to find outside of DA.

Comment

If your son does not love it and have tremendous passion for it, do not go to DA. It is more business like than fun for the kids. My son happens to love it, but other kids I see are falling out of love with the game and considering not playing soccer anymore. They do not have the variety a regular travel team can provide. If he is really good and competitive and gets bored with where he is at, then DA will challenge him and that is likely what he is craving.

Comment

I am assuming that your current situation is very good but from my experience there are few non-DA situations that compare to DA in terms of intensity of practice. coaching, yes, there are some great coaches with non-DA teams. but scrimmaging daily against top kids, very hard to find outside of DA.
                            Totally agree. Try to get into the system as early as possible. My son plays U12 DA this year and I believe if we had waited a season he wouldn't have made U14 DA next season. The better players (and better coaching) pushing him every day really advanced his game.

Comment

Totally agree. Try to get into the system as early as possible. My son plays U12 DA this year and I believe if we had waited a season he wouldn't have made U14 DA next season. The better players (and better coaching) pushing him every day really advanced his game.
                              ^^ This!

My daughter is playing DA next year and for going HS. The thought is let's get in while we can. If she doesn't like it, there are 3 more years of HS. That said, there will always be a roster spot for elite talent. Just remember elite training creates top players out of above average players, so the disparity grows quickly.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X