Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Different GetPhuckedSoccer-hater here: Are you actually advocating for corporate takeover of every aspect of our lives? Isn't there a little part of you that sees the benefit of small business? How about keeping choices open? How about letting families be part of a soccer club culture and not just paying subscribers to a soccer service? How about being able to get involved with your club beyond just writing a check?
    How about the feeling of being a victim all the time? Like...if you don't like something, don't do it? If you want to advocate small business, of which I am an owner, great. Push their virtues so they stand on their own. If you spend your time railing against the others, you prove you don't have anything to stand on.

It works for some, not for others. Lots of choices in this country, and feel free to pursue whatever you want.

As for being involved...I was...until it was evident that my soccer education (which carried me through college) was insufficient for today's game so I let the experts take over. I help, if needed on occasion.

Man, so short-sighted some of you are....

Comment

How about the feeling of being a victim all the time? Like...if you don't like something, don't do it? If you want to advocate small business, of which I am an owner, great. Push their virtues so they stand on their own. If you spend your time railing against the others, you prove you don't have anything to stand on.

It works for some, not for others. Lots of choices in this country, and feel free to pursue whatever you want.

As for being involved...I was...until it was evident that my soccer education (which carried me through college) was insufficient for today's game so I let the experts take over. I help, if needed on occasion.

Man, so short-sighted some of you are....
      Not short-sighted at all. Corporations are duty-bound to eliminate competition. I can look out my window and count ten small businesses that have disappeared in the last 20 years due to corporate expansion. (And, yes, I understand that I can buy a soccer ball ten bucks cheaper on-line than I could at my long-gone local sporting goods store. Great! The minimum wage employee at the Big Box store doesn't remember my uncle's high school no-hitter and won't sponsor my rec league basketball team.) Here is the long view: GPS or NEFC. Pick one. Happy now? If not, you are s.o.l. because all your other options are long gone.

Comment

Not short-sighted at all. Corporations are duty-bound to eliminate competition. I can look out my window and count ten small businesses that have disappeared in the last 20 years due to corporate expansion. (And, yes, I understand that I can buy a soccer ball ten bucks cheaper on-line than I could at my long-gone local sporting goods store. Great! The minimum wage employee at the Big Box store doesn't remember my uncle's high school no-hitter and won't sponsor my rec league basketball team.) Here is the long view: GPS or NEFC. Pick one. Happy now? If not, you are s.o.l. because all your other options are long gone.
        So, why don't you start a club then? Put your money where you tears are.

You see a need, go fill it. Don't go blaming someone for doing it where you didn't. There's plenty of small clubs to play in. Nothing in your area? Mean that much to you that you whine about it? Move.

Comment

My kid played for mutiny FC and had a great experience. Good club. The merger would only benefit them as GPS would give them more access to facilities, tournaments and exposure to college coaches.
          HA HA are you kidding me, Coach K is a jerk.... BOOT IT soccer !

Comment

So, why don't you start a club then? Put your money where you tears are.

You see a need, go fill it. Don't go blaming someone for doing it where you didn't. There's plenty of small clubs to play in. Nothing in your area? Mean that much to you that you whine about it? Move.
            You are either missing my point--or making it. While I'd agree that there are plenty of small clubs in my area (I'm part of one, proudly) the goal of GiganticPricedSoccer is to ELIMINATE the smaller clubs and with that, restrict choice and THEN determine price, product and placement. Don't get me wrong--they are just following the corporate road map. Unfortunately, the interest of a corporation is by definition the shareholders (and compensated officers) of the CORPORATION! That is what we need to avoid because once they have complete control, soccer will suffer.

Comment

You are either missing my point--or making it. While I'd agree that there are plenty of small clubs in my area (I'm part of one, proudly) the goal of GiganticPricedSoccer is to ELIMINATE the smaller clubs and with that, restrict choice and THEN determine price, product and placement. Don't get me wrong--they are just following the corporate road map. Unfortunately, the interest of a corporation is by definition the shareholders (and compensated officers) of the CORPORATION! That is what we need to avoid because once they have complete control, soccer will suffer.
              Is the product improving (unequivably yes in our area).

Have you thought about moving, if you don't like your choices?

There will always be town teams to whet your whistle. Feel free to sign up for them.

Sounds like you are more afraid that mom & pop aren't showing the value that many of us want. Sad.

Comment

Interesting. Moved my kid from mom and pop club to a big "corporate" club as you do derogatorily call it, and the soccer got exponentially better all around.

Comment

Different GetPhuckedSoccer-hater here: Are you actually advocating for corporate takeover of every aspect of our lives? Isn't there a little part of you that sees the benefit of small business? How about keeping choices open? How about letting families be part of a soccer club culture and not just paying subscribers to a soccer service? How about being able to get involved with your club beyond just writing a check?
                  Yeah, totally agree. I'm still mad that Pauline's donuts was run out of town by Dunkins. I hate Dunkins - everyday, sometimes twice. And Millie, the teller at my Savings Bank, I miss her too, and waiting in line between 9-11 on Saturday to get my mad money for the weekend. Who would ever trust a phone to deposit a check? Millie knows my name, and the local bank sponsors young Ralphie's little league shirts. Gee Willikens guys, don't you see it? The corporations are talking over and ruining everything.

Now if you will excuse me, I gotto go feed the meter and put another sticker on my subaru

Comment

Interesting. Moved my kid from mom and pop club to a big "corporate" club as you do derogatorily call it, and the soccer got exponentially better all around.
                    No, I derogatorily call it the "GreatPocketSyphon". Corporations on the other hand have my respect for what they do: make money by providing a predictable, profitable product on a grand scale. That ain't the kind of soccer I want.
                    As for "exponentially better soccer", my bet is you like the way the robo-soccer tykes "keep their shape", "switch the field", "finish their runs" and follow whatever other admonishments were on the weekly memo to the field hands.

Comment

No, I derogatorily call it the "GreatPocketSyphon". Corporations on the other hand have my respect for what they do: make money by providing a predictable, profitable product on a grand scale. That ain't the kind of soccer I want.
                      As for "exponentially better soccer", my bet is you like the way the robo-soccer tykes "keep their shape", "switch the field", "finish their runs" and follow whatever other admonishments were on the weekly memo to the field hands.
                      Not buying it. You're frustrated with your lemonade stand of a club.

Comment

LOL, why is it people get so angered whey they want their kids to follow vernacular that is correct?

"Switch the field" angers you? This is hilarious. Do you also take the whistle out of your mouth, put down the clipboard, and yell "cross it" instead?

That's what we are resorting to now?

Good lord.

Comment

By golly, I don't drive a car, I drive a horseless carriage.

Now, if I could just get someone to fix this blasted phonograph, dangnabbit, I could listen to some show tunes.

Comment

Sure keeping shape is always important, and so is playing a build up possession style (with the occasional needed direct counter attack). Smart decision making and problem solving is a must, whether to play the smart easy pass, or the more technically tricky play to alleviate the pressure. On offense, its all about learning to solve the pressure and being skilled enough to break it down in which ever method makes sense for the situation. On D, it about forcing the other team's offense to do what you force it do, and shrink the field. These are just some of the things my one child's top level U13 team works on in training, whereas when my older child was on a mom and pop team at the same age, the daddy coach literally spent an hour having them passing back and forth and shoot on net from the 18. If they were lucky they then got to scrimmage each other(with tons of kick and run to the fast striker up top), where the daddy coach vocally controlled them like little pawns on a chess board, and they figured out nothing on their own. It was awful and developed nothing. Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Comment

Sure keeping shape is always important, and so is playing a build up possession style (with the occasional needed direct counter attack). Smart decision making and problem solving is a must, whether to play the smart easy pass, or the more technically tricky play to alleviate the pressure. On offense, its all about learning to solve the pressure and being skilled enough to break it down in which ever method makes sense for the situation. On D, it about forcing the other team's offense to do what you force it do, and shrink the field. These are just some of the things my one child's top level U13 team works on in training, whereas when my older child was on a mom and pop team at the same age, the daddy coach literally spent an hour having them passing back and forth and shoot on net from the 18. If they were lucky they then got to scrimmage each other(with tons of kick and run to the fast striker up top), where the daddy coach vocally controlled them like little pawns on a chess board, and they figured out nothing on their own. It was awful and developed nothing. Couldn't get out of there fast enough.
                              But of course you already knew that, and so do we, so this exposition is all about...self validation? Enjoy your corporate soccer experience. (I bet that "daddy coach" was part of your community, and your older son probably gives him a big hello when he sees him, despite all his shortcomings.)

Comment

But of course you already knew that, and so do we, so this exposition is all about...self validation? Enjoy your corporate soccer experience. (I bet that "daddy coach" was part of your community, and your older son probably gives him a big hello when he sees him, despite all his shortcomings.)
                                Nope, not part of our community at all. I have no problem with his coaching a team and if others are happy with that level of soccer, that is awesome. Just not us, even if it were free.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X