• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It was fundamentally flawed.
    Explain, doctor?

Comment

YSR much better than gotsoccer

Agreed. It's not that big of a loss. The site implied a level of precision in its rankings that simply didn't exist.

Like comparing 2 U-14 Girls teams; one ranked 7th with a score of 35.7 and one ranked 14th with a score of 32.4

The site explained that each time the two teams meet the team ranked 7th should beat the team ranked 14th by 3.3 goals.

Really?

If you're semi-literate with math and looked closely at how he computed the rankings it was B.S.

Not saying Got Soccer are any good but this site's rankings weren't really better - just different.
      Couldn't disagree more. The composite scores were very accurate. I followed this site for several years and over the course of a season, the numbers were dead on. There were only two flaws I could find. When a team was sandbagging; playing flight two tourneys and bronze level when they should have been playing higher level teams, they would often get inflated results that weren't predicted. After a team gets down 4-0, it is easy for that game to turn out to be 8-0 when it was only predicted to be a 5 goal deficit.

Secondly, although the composite scoring seemed pretty accurate across age and gender, there is a factor where a u12 team will have essentially no chance to score on or stop a u18 team from scoring. So the composite score difference may say 10 goals but if the u18 team played without mercy, it would likely be 15-20 goals with time being the only limiting factor.

However, for comparing teams in the same age rank, I challenge you to find more than 2-3 teams that are ranked incorrectly by more than 10 slots. I can find you hundreds of gotsoccer examples where teams are off by 30+ spots and many that are off by a hundred or more. To say both are flawed is a false equivalency. YSR was the most accurate ranking system out there and far superior than gotsoccer. gotsoccer should be ashamed of their pay to play business model.

Comment

Couldn't disagree more. The composite scores were very accurate. I followed this site for several years and over the course of a season, the numbers were dead on. There were only two flaws I could find. When a team was sandbagging; playing flight two tourneys and bronze level when they should have been playing higher level teams, they would often get inflated results that weren't predicted. After a team gets down 4-0, it is easy for that game to turn out to be 8-0 when it was only predicted to be a 5 goal deficit.

Secondly, although the composite scoring seemed pretty accurate across age and gender, there is a factor where a u12 team will have essentially no chance to score on or stop a u18 team from scoring. So the composite score difference may say 10 goals but if the u18 team played without mercy, it would likely be 15-20 goals with time being the only limiting factor.

However, for comparing teams in the same age rank, I challenge you to find more than 2-3 teams that are ranked incorrectly by more than 10 slots. I can find you hundreds of gotsoccer examples where teams are off by 30+ spots and many that are off by a hundred or more. To say both are flawed is a false equivalency. YSR was the most accurate ranking system out there and far superior than gotsoccer. gotsoccer should be ashamed of their pay to play business model.
        Couldn't agree more. GS is a complete farce and while not perfect, YSR was as close to it as any site. The fact tournaments use GS rankings to seed teams is a shame and a disservice to every team.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. GS is a complete farce and while not perfect, YSR was as close to it as any site. The fact tournaments use GS rankings to seed teams is a shame and a disservice to every team.
          YSR's only true fault (other than the u-18 vs u12 predictive capability being way off, like the other poster said) is that it didn't sell out and monetize its product.

GS giving more points for success in a "sponsored tournament" is a prime example....pay up to move up. Seriously, how could any self-respecting ratings site award more points simply because the tourney organizers let them dip their beak? GS has go to go. Surely their had to be a way to turn valuable product into cash.

Hell, I'd pay ten bucks a year to subscribe. You listening YSR?

Comment

Aside from the obvious and inherent flaws to any ranking system, the problem I have with GS is that if they make an error in how they award points and you kindly ask them to correct it you will be ignored at best and at worst given a run around the likes of which you have never seen. It makes dealing with the DMV seem like a walk in the park. The woman who responds to questions is a piece of work...

Monetize YSR and give GS a run for their money...

Comment

It's back up!

Comment

It's back up!
                Glad to see its back up.

However, for U18 there are several teams that just don't belong in the top 10 based on their record against the other teams that are considered the most competitive. They may be great, but I don't see how it can be justified that they are ranked so high.

1 FC FLORIDA PREPARATORY ACADEMY [46] 43.68
                2 ORLANDO CITY YS B PURPLE I [48] 43.66
                3 WEST FLORIDA FLAMES SC ELITE BRANDON [54] 43.62
                4 MIRAMAR UNITED ELITE FC RED [85] 43.25
                5 CLAY COUNTY SC USA RANGERS RED [88] 43.22
                6 ASSOCIATION OF CHRISTIAN YOUTH ACYS SPIRIT UNITED ELITE [97] 43.10
                7 JAFC [122] 42.85
                8 IMG SA FL ACADEMY BLUE [139] 42.62
                9 CORAL ESTATES SC STRIKERS [157] 42.44
                10 MIAMI BEACH SOCCER [158]

Comment

Glad to see its back up.

However, for U18 there are several teams that just don't belong in the top 10 based on their record against the other teams that are considered the most competitive. They may be great, but I don't see how it can be justified that they are ranked so high.

1 FC FLORIDA PREPARATORY ACADEMY [46] 43.68
                  2 ORLANDO CITY YS B PURPLE I [48] 43.66
                  3 WEST FLORIDA FLAMES SC ELITE BRANDON [54] 43.62
                  4 MIRAMAR UNITED ELITE FC RED [85] 43.25
                  5 CLAY COUNTY SC USA RANGERS RED [88] 43.22
                  6 ASSOCIATION OF CHRISTIAN YOUTH ACYS SPIRIT UNITED ELITE [97] 43.10
                  7 JAFC [122] 42.85
                  8 IMG SA FL ACADEMY BLUE [139] 42.62
                  9 CORAL ESTATES SC STRIKERS [157] 42.44
                  10 MIAMI BEACH SOCCER [158]
                  I agree and believe this ranking system is deeply flawed. Everything is based on the primary, first-of-year score/quality assumptions and bad assumptions reverberate all year within certain regions (unfairly propping up teams that beat others unfairly ranked). They need to calibrate the scores from intra-national tournaments which show the relative strength of the various regions. In fact, they need an algorithm to do this rather than people who tend to inject their regional biases.

Comment

I agree and believe this ranking system is deeply flawed. Everything is based on the primary, first-of-year score/quality assumptions and bad assumptions reverberate all year within certain regions (unfairly propping up teams that beat others unfairly ranked). They need to calibrate the scores from intra-national tournaments which show the relative strength of the various regions. In fact, they need an algorithm to do this rather than people who tend to inject their regional biases.
                    The top FL teams dominated at Disney but since then the rankings have hardly changed. Scores were hardly adjusted, relative rankings remain almost identical as before Disney. This indicates there is something very wrong with this ranking site.

Comment

You guys are a bunch of morons.....allow me to list the reasons:

Clearly the number 1 reason is.....who gives a ****e about rankings of youth soccer....really...is your life that pathetic? BUT, if that's your bag how about....

its FREE
                      its just a BASELINE
                      no matter how bad you think it is, it's still light years ahead of the GotSoccer rankings
                      oh yeah and its FREE

Comment

Clearly the number 1 reason is.....who gives a ****e about rankings of youth soccer....really...is your life that pathetic? BUT, if that's your bag how about....

its FREE
                        its just a BASELINE
                        no matter how bad you think it is, it's still light years ahead of the GotSoccer rankings
                        oh yeah and its FREE
                        And i would add that, watching it over the past two years, it is surprising accurate as a predictor.

Sorry you didn't get the bump you had hoped for from your big win over three months ago. Sometimes reality sucks.

Comment

its FREE
                          its just a BASELINE
                          oh yeah and its FREE
                          This is the same old tired TS response. Here is the statement and then the real meaning of the statement. Rankings dont matter (my kids team is ranked really low). People who care about rankings are idiots (stop being so competitive - my kid needs easier competition). DA and ODP are a waste of time (because my kid didnt make it). Jut have fun (we have given up). There is no end game to youth soccer, only 0.1% will ever go pro (quit soccer so my kid has less competition).

If Youth Rankings USA is a baseline, then it is a CRAP baseline totally unresponsive to reality as it unfolds during the season. And yes, rankings matter to everyone who is competitive at heart (I understand you are a beta but not all of us are). Ask the NCAA if they are helpful motivating players to perform and improve. Ask the NCAA if they provide context and meaning to a long season. And if you are going to do something then do it right. Doing something half assed is worse than doing nothing at all.

Comment

And i would add that, watching it over the past two years, it is surprising accurate as a predictor.

Sorry you didn't get the bump you had hoped for from your big win over three months ago. Sometimes reality sucks.
                            Really? Look at the intra-national outcomes from Disney - very poorly predicted. Even the guy running this site admits that, and the need for a more systematic approach. He is actually very upfront about this (and yes I have spoken with him, and yes it is because rankings matter to my kid and his teammates, and friends on facebook etc.)

I am happy to see the site back online, and hope he can take it to the next level by making it more objective and responsive.

Comment

Really? Look at the intra-national outcomes from Disney - very poorly predicted. Even the guy running this site admits that, and the need for a more systematic approach. He is actually very upfront about this (and yes I have spoken with him, and yes it is because rankings matter to my kid and his teammates, and friends on facebook etc.)

I am happy to see the site back online, and hope he can take it to the next level by making it more objective and responsive.
                              Really? You're happy to see it back online. On an earlier post you called it crap and half-ass. How do you even look at yourself in the morning, speaking out of both sides of your mouth like that?? And worse, knowing that you're such a failure as a parent, that you have to look to a website to validate your kid's worth. Pathetic.

Comment

You called the guy? You need some hobbies, not your kids' team ranking

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X