Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Someone seriously started a thread about GPS gaming GotSoccer Points? Who in their right mind cares about Got Soccer?
    Just about every admin at GPS

Comment

Just about every admin at GPS
      None I am aware of, but keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better at night.

Comment

None I am aware of, but keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better at night.
        It's not their fault. They have to. It's how they market their club success.

Comment

It's not their fault. They have to. It's how they market their club success.
          Or not, but again, keep telling yourself that.

Comment

Or not, but again, keep telling yourself that.
            In the last 10 days I've spoken to 2 different people at GPS. Both are interested in adding my son to a specific team. Both people reffered to said team as "the best in the state." How is that superlative quantified? Like I said, I don't blame them. I also won't apologize for them either.

Comment

In the last 10 days I've spoken to 2 different people at GPS. Both are interested in adding my son to a specific team. Both people reffered to said team as "the best in the state." How is that superlative quantified? Like I said, I don't blame them. I also won't apologize for them either.
              So, they didn't mention gotsoccer, did they? You just exposed yourself, which is the point.

"Best in the state" is an opinion, and maybe they are right. Maybe they aren't. My kid is told by recruiting places they all "are best in the state" "have the best path to college" "best training" "best coaches" I didn't ask them for a system to prove any of it.

What did you expect them say? "Hey, come to our team...we're pretty darn good"

Comment

So, they didn't mention gotsoccer, did they? You just exposed yourself, which is the point.

"Best in the state" is an opinion, and maybe they are right. Maybe they aren't. My kid is told by recruiting places they all "are best in the state" "have the best path to college" "best training" "best coaches" I didn't ask them for a system to prove any of it.

What did you expect them say? "Hey, come to our team...we're pretty darn good"
                The team in question happens to be the top team on Gotsoccer for the age group. I guess that's just a coincidence? I've never heard another club refer to a team as "the best in the state." That's pretty specific. They didn't say one of the best. The made it a point to say "the best." I know other parents on the team, which is how the conversation with the club was initiated. They routinely talk about the ranking of the team. It's part of the culture. Again, it's okay. This isn't a felony. You obvioulsy don't think it's a problem either. I'm not here to convince you otherwise. I'll simply use my personal interaction with parents on the team and the personnel at GPS that I've had contact with to form my opinion on the matter.

Comment

The team in question happens to be the top team on Gotsoccer for the age group. I guess that's just a coincidence? I've never heard another club refer to a team as "the best in the state." That's pretty specific. They didn't say one of the best. The made it a point to say "the best." I know other parents on the team, which is how the conversation with the club was initiated. They routinely talk about the ranking of the team. It's part of the culture. Again, it's okay. This isn't a felony. You obvioulsy don't think it's a problem either. I'm not here to convince you otherwise. I'll simply use my personal interaction with parents on the team and the personnel at GPS that I've had contact with to form my opinion on the matter.
                  LOL "best in the state" when there are several different leagues, tournaments, and levels is not a real metric. Anyone with half a brain knows it. You are basing it on a conversation using the term "best".

I happen to think we play the "best" brand of soccer. Prove me wrong.

Sadly, I guess your kid hasn't had the other conversations and heard the other terms mentioned. LOL

Best in the state....

Too funny.

No GPS personnel I know, and I know several, have ever uttered anything about gotsoccer. I won't vouch for what they say behind closed doors, but that is absolutely not a recruiting tool. And, for the record, we are not even part of GPS.

SMMFH...

Comment

Any word when the GPS coaching assignments will come out for regional teams and the NPL/State Elite teams?

Comment

LOL "best in the state" when there are several different leagues, tournaments, and levels is not a real metric. Anyone with half a brain knows it. You are basing it on a conversation using the term "best".

I happen to think we play the "best" brand of soccer. Prove me wrong.

Sadly, I guess your kid hasn't had the other conversations and heard the other terms mentioned. LOL

Best in the state....

Too funny.

No GPS personnel I know, and I know several, have ever uttered anything about gotsoccer. I won't vouch for what they say behind closed doors, but that is absolutely not a recruiting tool. And, for the record, we are not even part of GPS.

SMMFH...
                      Ask any GPS parent and they can tell you where their child's team is ranked on Gotsoccer.

I can't speak for GPS coaches.

Comment

Ask any GPS parent and they can tell you where their child's team is ranked on Gotsoccer.

Do people not realize that pts are based on games played and won, including tournaments?

If your team plays a lot of tournaments, plays down a bracket and wins; you get a lot of pts and a higher rank.

If another team plays less tournaments or plays and loses in a more competitive bracket; they get less pts.

Take a look at any tournament schedule and you will see numerous highly ranked teams in lower brackets.

Comment

Given the collapse of MAPLE, its now pretty reasonable to say on the boys side that the top club teams in the state (outside of the academy programs of course) are whatever teams are at or near the top of the table in the NEP/NPL leagues. If you look at those standings, it looks like the GPS 2005 boys and the GPS 2002 boys may have a credible argument for that label--at least for now. Outside of those two, the top GPS boys teams look like they are generally pretty good and consistently competitive, but likely not the "best in the state." Other than league standings, the USCS state cup tourney is probably the only other fair way to answer that question.

Comment

GPS parent here, and while I know what gotsoccer is and I've used it to look at history of teams we are playing (get a read on teams both played), I don't pay attention to the rankings.

I mentioned once how I knew someone we were playing killed someone else, and everyone else around me said "gotsoccer? what's that?"

So, small sample size, yes, but 15/16 on our team had never heard of it...

Comment

Do people not realize that pts are based on games played and won, including tournaments?

If your team plays a lot of tournaments, plays down a bracket and wins; you get a lot of pts and a higher rank.

If another team plays less tournaments or plays and loses in a more competitive bracket; they get less pts.

Take a look at any tournament schedule and you will see numerous highly ranked teams in lower brackets.
                              If only it were that easy. That's not how pts work. Points earned are a function of the point total for all teams in the bracket. A highly ranked team could win a bracket and get 0 pts. Happens alot.

Comment

If you win NPL and State Cup, that's the "best" team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X