Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    ODP IS a joke. Good Players are in DA and can't go to ODP. THUS ODP is the best of the rest. As the saying goes second place is the first place loser. Stay away from ODP.
    As a first time ODPer, I will chime in with my thoughts. Not ALL Good Players are in the DA for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with not making it (e.g., distance, DA is not as organized or provide better coaching that the current travel club, wanting to play High School soccer, etc.). Those individuals can and should do ODP because it presents a different environment for the kids. And to say that all DAs are first place, look at Boca and Kendall. Bet you donuts to dollars that my kids travel team can beat these "academy" teams.

So my thought is to stay away from generalizations and do what you think is best for your kid. DAs and ODP are different options for different people and serve different needs. One last thought, people who bash ODP are people who are fanatical about their DA and feel the need to ridicule or look down upon anything that is NOT DA without considering the fact that the DA is not for everyone. There will be great players that for whatever reasons do NOT play DA. So get over yourself.

Comment

As a first time ODPer, I will chime in with my thoughts. Not ALL Good Players are in the DA for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with not making it (e.g., distance, DA is not as organized or provide better coaching that the current travel club, wanting to play High School soccer, etc.). Those individuals can and should do ODP because it presents a different environment for the kids. And to say that all DAs are first place, look at Boca and Kendall. Bet you donuts to dollars that my kids travel team can beat these "academy" teams.

So my thought is to stay away from generalizations and do what you think is best for your kid. DAs and ODP are different options for different people and serve different needs. One last thought, people who bash ODP are people who are fanatical about their DA and feel the need to ridicule or look down upon anything that is NOT DA without considering the fact that the DA is not for everyone. There will be great players that for whatever reasons do NOT play DA. So get over yourself.
      LOL

You are a first time ODPer....but you are an expert on DA?? Do you realize how silly this makes you appear? ODP is a great experience for kids...the very best kids at ODP (the ones making the pool games and region teams in most cases have the talent to play DA.) Most of these kids will go on to play DA, (except a few that live in remote areas/not close to a DA).

The fact that DA does not allow a crossover back to ODP is a healthy thing for those 2nd tier kids that would otherwise be replaced by the DA kids on ODP rosters. DA is not for everyone. Most kids can't cope with the commitment and talent level involved. Not all the best players in the State are playing DA (Just most of them).

Comment

My son played ODP last year and made onto the Region pool or team, whatever you want to call it. He has played DA this past year and I will tell you from first hand experience, you will not get as good a competition outside of DA. He liked his time with the ODP but to say it is as good as DA, is not true at all. Now will all the younger ages, it is probably much lower in quality. However, if I was playing regular club, I would definitely go play ODP, just understand, it is much much lower than DA quality. If I were you and your kid could possibly make a DA, you should move to the DA. Also, I will take your donuts and dollars. Your kids regular club team would get stomped by any DA team.

Comment

My son played ODP last year and made onto the Region pool or team, whatever you want to call it. He has played DA this past year and I will tell you from first hand experience, you will not get as good a competition outside of DA. He liked his time with the ODP but to say it is as good as DA, is not true at all. Now will all the younger ages, it is probably much lower in quality. However, if I was playing regular club, I would definitely go play ODP, just understand, it is much much lower than DA quality. If I were you and your kid could possibly make a DA, you should move to the DA. Also, I will take your donuts and dollars. Your kids regular club team would get stomped by any DA team.
          Soccer and life are relative. Try not to compare two programs that aren't comparable. Enjoy the ride along with your soccer player.

Comment

Never said ODP was as good as DA. Said both serve a purpose and not everyone that can play on a DA wants to for a variety of reasons.

Comment

ODP IS a joke. Good Players are in DA and can't go to ODP. THUS ODP is the best of the rest. As the saying goes second place is the first place loser. Stay away from ODP.
              Your post makes no sense and is the reason parents ruin youth sports.

There are many players that cannot travel to DA (ECNL) teams for geographical reasons. So why would they stay from ODP? If its available to them, why not play in it? Its irrelevant at that point if its the "best of the rest".

Then there are the players that really AREN'T good enough to make a DA team. If ODP is available to them, why would they not play in it? Its better than not doing anything.

Parents like you have the "DA (ECNL) or go home" mentality. Basically, if your kid is not good enough, should they just not play soccer at all? That's absurd. If ODP is a venue available to them, they should tryout.

Its an additional venue for kids to play soccer at a higher level - if that level is inferior to DA, is irrelevant.

Comment

There are many players that cannot travel to DA (ECNL) teams for geographical reasons. So why would they stay from ODP? If its available to them, why not play in it? Its irrelevant at that point if its the "best of the rest".

Then there are the players that really AREN'T good enough to make a DA team. If ODP is available to them, why would they not play in it? Its better than not doing anything.

Parents like you have the "DA (ECNL) or go home" mentality. Basically, if your kid is not good enough, should they just not play soccer at all? That's absurd. If ODP is a venue available to them, they should tryout.

Its an additional venue for kids to play soccer at a higher level - if that level is inferior to DA, is irrelevant.
                Ill bet you your Double Wide that if these ODP boys got 4 nights a week training instead of 2 weekends theyd kick your ass ! ODP boys twice the athletes of your pansy boys ... cmon Jethrow ?

Comment

Ill bet you your Double Wide that if these ODP boys got 4 nights a week training instead of 2 weekends theyd kick your ass ! ODP boys twice the athletes of your pansy boys ... cmon Jethrow ?
                  ODP is just to make money. Nothing to do with the players

Comment

ODP is just to make money. Nothing to do with the players
                    The argument can be made for every ****ing club, team, and league.

Comment

i am starting to think thats scary ODP is going to make a come back for sure you will all see.
                      US Soccer DA is loosing creditablity !

Comment

i am starting to think thats scary ODP is going to make a come back for sure you will all see.
                        US Soccer DA is loosing creditablity !
                        Losing Credibility. Just here to help.

Comment

My son has played ODP since he was 11 (going to be 15 now). During that time he also played MLS DA. It was not allowed but we snuck around and did it anyway. He left DA because he wanted to play high-school. . He has made the ODP Regional team 3 years in a row and made the Regional international team this year. He also participated in the National Team Training. He has experienced all facets of the youth soccer landscape from Rec - club - DA- State ODP - Regional ODP- National Team Training.

He prefers ODP over DA

I am with others who say "Do not drink the DA Kool-Aid." Do not be deluded into thinking it is the best option or the only option. Even if your Kid is good enough to make the DA, first do what is best for your kid and his short or long term goals. Not all kids are going to go pro, not all will make the national team, not all will make DI. We have seen great players from the DA who have gone nowhere and we have seen players outside of DA succeed.

Give your kid the best experience they can while they are young and match it with their goals. If your kid is good he will be seen or heard about. Coaches will find him no matter where he plays.

DA has its place. ODP has its place.

Comment

My son has played ODP since he was 11 (going to be 15 now). During that time he also played MLS DA. It was not allowed but we snuck around and did it anyway. He left DA because he wanted to play high-school. . He has made the ODP Regional team 3 years in a row and made the Regional international team this year. He also participated in the National Team Training. He has experienced all facets of the youth soccer landscape from Rec - club - DA- State ODP - Regional ODP- National Team Training.

He prefers ODP over DA

I am with others who say "Do not drink the DA Kool-Aid." Do not be deluded into thinking it is the best option or the only option. Even if your Kid is good enough to make the DA, first do what is best for your kid and his short or long term goals. Not all kids are going to go pro, not all will make the national team, not all will make DI. We have seen great players from the DA who have gone nowhere and we have seen players outside of DA succeed.

Give your kid the best experience they can while they are young and match it with their goals. If your kid is good he will be seen or heard about. Coaches will find him no matter where he plays.

Thank you for your thoughtful post and your objectivity.

Comment

He prefers ODP over DA

With Girls DA , more ODP spots will open for others who want to try again to make ODP. ODP should send out its training dates and invite college coaches to come watch the scrimmages. Auburndale is a good central location for recruitment showcases.

Comment

I have a 2005 player that was invited to the camp. Is it worth doing for a 2005 player?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X