X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Stop being an idiot...
    Good luck with that! This IS Talking-Soccer you know.

Comment

I see. Analyze each team, no. But whoever is responsible for setting the brackets for that age group, at least checking where they are located in their leagues at a minimum. The #1 team in Elite division shouldn't be playing in 2nd to bottom bracket. While others are placed in higher brackets. Common sense here.
      I see this as well. That is really weird, well that team should sweep it pretty easily then. Lousy setup for sure.

Comment

Stop being an idiot, as no one is expecting that. Just as our coach hadn't reached out to have them move the time yet, and it was moved, I wanted to say thanks. Just in the off chance they did happen to check out this thread.
        So the schedule didnt just come out...and coaches are given ample opportunity to provide additional information regarding scheduling and also when the schedules are first put out. They wont just changing something because you dont like it, but if there are real, practical issues they usually try to adjust them.

Comment

Fields

So the schedule didnt just come out...and coaches are given ample opportunity to provide additional information regarding scheduling and also when the schedules are first put out. They wont just changing something because you dont like it, but if there are real, practical issues they usually try to adjust them.
          The absolute worst fields that I have ever seen. @amherst. What an embarrassment !!

Comment

The absolute worst fields that I have ever seen. @amherst. What an embarrassment !!

That is what happens after a rain when you are relying on grass and dirt
            On the other hand, lets just say it didn't rain......was anyone ever going to cut the grass before this weekend?

Nice showcase.

A number of teams dropped out including Bolts teams.

How is the GPS tournament going? I did note that there are no GPS NPL teams in the GPS tournament.
            The Needham was has taken a major turn toward mediocrity.

Thanks GPS for ruining a good tournament.

Comment

Parent of a travelling team returning from the Needham tournament today (after having a nice experience in the FC Boston Columbus Cup in the Fall).

The refereeing was difficult -- all referees and linesman except one in three games was no older high school age. There was a lot of on the field training as we had a referee today for a U11 game that did not appear to be over 13. Referees consistently ignored linesmen and consistently did not know the rules, including one who awarded a PK for a high kick in the box. Fortunately, BOTH linesmen rushed in on the call to reverse it before the kick was taken.

And of course, the younger the refs, the less likely they are to call fouls and the more likely teams are to continue escalating the severity of their fouls until they are called. Some rough games!

This is not a cheap tournament and I know from working on a similar tournament locally that Needham is likely making well into the 6 figures on this.

Hire some adults!

Comment

That is what happens after a rain when you are relying on grass and dirt
                On the other hand, lets just say it didn't rain......was anyone ever going to cut the grass before this weekend?

Nice showcase.

A number of teams dropped out including Bolts teams.

How is the GPS tournament going? I did note that there are no GPS NPL teams in the GPS tournament.
                The Needham was has taken a major turn toward mediocrity.

Thanks GPS for ruining a good tournament.
                Take another look, there are GPS NPL teams in the tournament

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. Why weren't these fields cut early to mid this week looks like they had been cut in weeks.

Not enough refs. Two of our three games started 20 minutes late people scrambling to find out where the refs were.

College showcase without college coaches? Not that they would've been looking at our team, but at Amherst, one big centralized area I didnt see one college college coach in the two days I was there. Usually you see them in their chairs at the edge or corner of some of the fields. I did see several last year when we were at Lancaster. There had to have been at least 100 coaches listed on the website.

Couldn't make sense of the brackets. Higher ranked teams in lower brackets and vice versa. A lot of very lopsided scores on the girl side.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. Why weren't these fields cut early to mid this week looks like they had been cut in weeks.

Not enough refs. Two of our three games started 20 minutes late people scrambling to find out where the refs were.

College showcase without college coaches? Not that they would've been looking at our team, but at Amherst, one big centralized area I didnt see one college college coach in the two days I was there. Usually you see them in their chairs at the edge or corner of some of the fields. I did see several last year when we were at Lancaster. There had to have been at least 100 coaches listed on the website.

Couldn't make sense of the brackets. Higher ranked teams in lower brackets and vice versa. A lot of very lopsided scores on the girl side.
                    All the college coaches are at PDA to watch the same girls over and over and over and over and over.

Comment

Just a FYI, college coaches don't just stop by a field to watch a random game going on. They come to watch a specific player(s) that previous contact was made. If you weren't expecting them to look at your team, it probably means you don't have players going down that path.

Comment

The brackets were way off at least in the younger U12 age group. I don't see why it's that difficult to check where teams are ranked in their own leagues.

Comment

Parent of a travelling team returning from the Needham tournament today (after having a nice experience in the FC Boston Columbus Cup in the Fall).

The refereeing was difficult -- all referees and linesman except one in three games was no older high school age. There was a lot of on the field training as we had a referee today for a U11 game that did not appear to be over 13. Referees consistently ignored linesmen and consistently did not know the rules, including one who awarded a PK for a high kick in the box. Fortunately, BOTH linesmen rushed in on the call to reverse it before the kick was taken.

And of course, the younger the refs, the less likely they are to call fouls and the more likely teams are to continue escalating the severity of their fouls until they are called. Some rough games!

This is not a cheap tournament and I know from working on a similar tournament locally that Needham is likely making well into the 6 figures on this.

Hire some adults!
                          Getting enough quality refs for one of the biggest tourney weekends of the year is an issue everywhere. Ours were ok, luckily making mistakes on both sides equally. I gave up expecting good reffing at tournaments a long time ago.

Comment

I have been a USSF ref for 6 or 7 years now. The old duffers they had at GPS were absolutely abysmal. The linesmen were not in position. Multiple blown offside calls, and poor time keeping. One old guy at Pingree (in 2 separate games) called a hand ball in the box 3 minutes after the game time had expired. He also told players they couldn't score more than 3 goals. They need to retire guys like that. They can no longer ref and cost teams wins tin a tournament that isn't much much but one the girls playing in care about. If only the refs did too.

Comment

I have been a USSF ref for 6 or 7 years now. The old duffers they had at GPS were absolutely abysmal. The linesmen were not in position. Multiple blown offside calls, and poor time keeping. One old guy at Pingree (in 2 separate games) called a hand ball in the box 3 minutes after the game time had expired. He also told players they couldn't score more than 3 goals. They need to retire guys like that. They can no longer ref and cost teams wins tin a tournament that isn't much much but one the girls playing in care about. If only the refs did too.
                              So I saw similar issues, but in the GPS tournament games my son played in. Clearly between all the town and club tournaments this weekend they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel, and in one of my sons games a god awful penalty kick "ghost call" cost them the bracket number 1 seeding (I actually want to thank the ref for giving me back my Monday so we didnt have to play a fourth GPS team), another repeatedly failed to look at the fact that the sideline official had his flag up, and another constantly had to go check with a sideline official because he either didn't see what had happened or didn't know the rules, not sure which. And in the last game, the official let the physical stuff get out of hand and tempers flared and things got excessively physical and the kids could have been hurt unnecessarily on both teams. No concept of keeping the game under control. I have actually been quite pleased with the officiating in most of my sons games this year, but these guys were just awful

Comment

All the college coaches are at PDA to watch the same girls over and over and over and over and over.
                                And that's the advantage of ECNL.... 40 coaches at every game

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X