X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mls embarrassing

Mls teams clobbered by 2nd team European teams

what did you expect ? they are playing some of the top teams in the world.

The MLS cant compete because as a league its weak, it has what 19 teams.....in a country of 350 million people.
    that's the same as the EPL with 70 million BUT the real key is the lower tier system so players can be brought along and up.

Take England alone. NOT the UK England
    there are another 3 league divisions after the Premier
    , total 92 clubs.

then there is the semi pro system 3 divisions in the conference , around 70 teams , playing full or part time...some players earning good money.

after that there are still another 4 or 5 steps still considered semi pro albeit they are mainly playing for expenses or nothing.....in each step there might be 4-5 leagues (they become regional)each with 22 teams, so maybe another 100 plus clubs.

so there you have over 200 clubs/teams maybe 3-4000 players at that level, before you even consider all the local adult leagues...............in short the feed system is massive ,bearing in mind that most of the top clubs have a small proportion of Nationals.

Then the MLS fills its overseas slots with has beens...Robbie Keane, Thierry Henry now Kaka and Lampard............all good players in their day, which has been and gone. that's why the standard isn't great.

final point to put it in perspective, that local team SW Fl Adrenaline is playing in what the 2nd/3rd level in the US system......they have two players I know of who were playing (just) level 6/7 in England and struggling.................

the big problem here IMO is that so much emphasis is put on the college system to provide players...........if there were some serious adult leagues you can bet there would be a nice stream of talent PLUS you need a better more structured lower tier.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      what did you expect ? they are playing some of the top teams in the world.
      Man City was missing almost all of it's world cup players or else they would have beaten Sporting KC 10-1... LA Galaxy was just an embarrasment for US soccer

Comment

Man City was missing almost all of it's world cup players or else they would have beaten Sporting KC 10-1... LA Galaxy was just an embarrasment for US soccer
        It looks like to me the MLS may be regressing even though the league itself is growing. They are losing worse this year then they have in the past. MLS is in the middle of their season so they are "fit" and have been playing together for awhile now. The international teams are using this as pre-season training and mostly playing their backups. No reason why LA Galaxy and Sporting KC should lose that badly

Comment

What did you really expect?

Comment

No, MLS teams are not playing some of the key players, they are resting them. The mls teams are also playing not to get hurt. They now feel like the league games coming up are more important than to make you feel good about the league. The leagues quality is just as good as the EPL from the middle table on down.

Comment

No, MLS teams are not playing some of the key players, they are resting them. The mls teams are also playing not to get hurt. They now feel like the league games coming up are more important than to make you feel good about the league. The leagues quality is just as good as the EPL from the middle table on down.
              Another delusional American....Are you F'in kidding me....The Championship ( 2nd div in England) is better than MLS...

Comment

Another delusional American....Are you F'in kidding me....The Championship ( 2nd div in England) is better than MLS...
                I agree MLS is nowhere near as good as the EPL, but MLS is most certainly better than The Championship (2nd div). Don't be a delusional Englishman. The EPL is very good because of the foreigners, not because of the domestic players. The Championship is mainly comprised of homegrown domestic players, which as we have seen the English soccer player isn't all the good (see last few World Cups and Euros)

Comment

I agree MLS is nowhere near as good as the EPL, but MLS is most certainly better than The Championship (2nd div). Don't be a delusional Englishman. The EPL is very good because of the foreigners, not because of the domestic players. The Championship is mainly comprised of homegrown domestic players, which as we have seen the English soccer player isn't all the good (see last few World Cups and Euros)

USA in the last three World Cups ( 2006, 2010 and 2014 ) has two wins in 11 games.... Now that's an absolutely brilliant squad...LMAO

Comment

USA in the last three World Cups ( 2006, 2010 and 2014 ) has two wins in 11 games.... Now that's an absolutely brilliant squad...LMAO
                    And your point is what exactly? Nobody said the USA is great, but in 2010 they did get 1st place over England and in 2014 they got further than England also. So while the USA isn't world beaters, what does that make the England squad? Is there a country that has underachieved as much as England? So again I'm not quite sure what your point is

Comment

And your point is what exactly? Nobody said the USA is great, but in 2010 they did get 1st place over England and in 2014 they got further than England also. So while the USA isn't world beaters, what does that make the England squad? Is there a country that has underachieved as much as England? So again I'm not quite sure what your point is
                      Me point is that England won 3 games at the '06 World Cup alone. That's one more than the mighty ( so they think) US of A won in the past 3 World cups....

Comment

The EPL is the "English" premiere league in name only. It is the top league in the world because of the players from Brazil, Argentina, Spain, France, Italy etc. England is not the country to look to for soccer inspiration.

Have said that, the MLS is mostly washed up foreigner that used to be in the EPL. The MLS has long way to go no matter what Alexi Lalas and the talking heads say. It is not a premiere league and could not compete with much of the EPL accept Stoke City on a regular basis.

Comment

Me point is that England won 3 games at the '06 World Cup alone. That's one more than the mighty ( so they think) US of A won in the past 3 World cups....
                          Ok and 2006 was 8 years ago. And again what was your point again? I didn't realize England compares themselves to USA soccer now. That alone speaks volumes of how far you (England) as a soccer country has fallen. Has England been very successful lately on the world stage?

Comment

Ok and 2006 was 8 years ago. And again what was your point again? I didn't realize England compares themselves to USA soccer now. That alone speaks volumes of how far you (England) as a soccer country has fallen. Has England been very successful lately on the world stage?

Just an FYI: 2002 was the last time the US won more than 1 game at the World Cup...12 years ago...

Comment

Just an FYI: 2002 was the last time the US won more than 1 game at the World Cup...12 years ago...
                              Again what's your point? Nobody said USA soccer was great. Just like we know the England national team isn't any good and not any better than the USA team. Both are just average.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X