Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Soccer

Just thought those interested in high school soccer might be interested in this coaching change. Paul Mumby, who coached West Boylston to the Girls D3 State Championship has taken over the job at Westboro High School. Mumby coached for the Fuller Hamlets, although I don't think he had a team there this year.

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 009/SPORTS

May 30, 2007

Lions lose Mumby to D1

Westboro takes West Boylston girls’ soccer coach

By Jim Wilson TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
    jimwilson@telegram.com

WESTBORO— In the fall, the West Boylston High girls’ soccer team will begin defense of its first Division 3 state title in school history. Unfortunately, the Lions will have to do it without coach Paul Mumby.

In what he termed “one of the most difficult decisionsâ€￾ he has had to make, Mumby has resigned to become the girls’ soccer coach at Division 1 Westboro High.

Mumby said he wrestled with the decision, having served as the Lions’ coach since taking over for Tom Aitken in 1999. His teams qualified for the Central Mass. tournament each year, won four Mid-Wach D titles, and last year upset previously unbeaten Norwell, 4-3, in penalty kicks to win the state title.

“I don’t want people to think I just won a state title with West Boylston and now I wanted to go do something else,â€￾ Mumby said. “It’s tough. I’ve been at West Boylston for nearly 10 years now and the program has been doing well. To play the likes of Algonquin and Shrewsbury and all those big schools, it’s a massive challenge for me and something I’ve been looking forward to. Obviously, Division 1 soccer is as big as you can get.â€￾

Mumby replaces John Chatalian, who headed up Westboro’s program for the past seven years but couldn’t make a commitment on next fall, according to Westboro athletic director Brian Callaghan. Ironically, Callaghan was the athletic director at West Boylston who hired Mumby for the girls’ job nine years ago.

“We’re very happy with John Chatalian, as he took our program seven years ago and brought some consistency to it,â€￾ Callaghan said. “We are competitive at the Division 1 level now because of him. Unfortunately, John wasn’t able to commit to next year, and Paul will be taking over a pretty solid program thanks to him.â€￾

Mumby said he and his wife, Maria, have been looking for a home in Westboro for the past three years, hoping to put their children — 4-year-old Emma and 2-year-old Mia — through the Westboro school system. Shortly after finding a home there, a physical education teacher’s job opened up at Westboro’s Mill Pond School, which Mumby applied for and got.

Last month, Mumby got word that the Westboro girls’ soccer job was going to be open. After quite a few sleepless nights mulling over his future, Mumby applied for the position. Last Friday, he got the official word he would be the Rangers’ new coach, and Mumby spent the rest of the weekend moving the family into their new home.

It was one of the more difficult decisions Mumby has had to make, but in the end he chose his team at home over his team on the soccer pitch. Mumby said being both the varsity and junior varsity coach at West Boylston led to some late nights and watching his children grow up from afar.

“I hear everyone else saying how quickly they grow up and I’m spending all this time coaching other kids and not spending time with my own kids,â€￾ Mumby said. “At Westboro, I can be home after practice around 5 or 5:30 and still be home before they go to bed and I can spend time with them as well.â€￾

Mumby said it was difficult telling his players at West Boylston he was leaving.

“It was a very emotional day for me and the kids were crying, and it was a tough thing to tell them because I’m a big part of their life,â€￾ said Mumby, who teaches physical education at West Boylston. “I teach and coach at the school and I see them every day.â€￾

Mumby once said he wanted to make West Boylston’s program be mentioned in the same breath as a Sutton-type powerhouse. With a 3-0 record against the Suzies in the postseason, Mumby appears to have done just that.

Now, inheriting a Westboro team that finished out of the playoffs last fall with a 6-7-5 record, Mumby is hoping to work his magic on the Rangers.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Do you think there is ever any hope that serious players will have a fall league to replace HS in this state? I know, I know, a lot of them want to play HS and love the experience (even Ms. Caldwell if I recall some posts from Fred some time ago) but there are some players that would much rather keep improving their skills during the season (especially if high school team stinks) (I hope the word stinks doesn't get this post booted....)

Comment

Originally posted by Red99
      Do you think there is ever any hope that serious players will have a fall league to replace HS in this state? I know, I know, a lot of them want to play HS and love the experience (even Ms. Caldwell if I recall some posts from Fred some time ago) but there are some players that would much rather keep improving their skills during the season (especially if high school team stinks) (I hope the word stinks doesn't get this post booted....)
      Another point is the bona fide team rule that makes doing anything else difficult if not impossible. Many 9th grade players have had to make decisions about whether they will play for their high schools or their club teams. It is very difficult to do both and if they try to it's infringing on MIAA regulations.

Also, what about the player that would like to do another sport such as Cross Country or Field Hockey? Having an option with their club team for the fall might allow them to do both (as long as they don't break that bona fide team rule :smt018 )

Comment

It’s almost time for my fav Soccer Season. High school soccer right around the corner. Can’t wait. Club so toxic

Comment

HS is the worst

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
            It’s almost time for my fav Soccer Season. High school soccer right around the corner. Can’t wait. Club so toxic
            Almost time...you mean in 5 months?

Comment

Does anyone look at when these threads were started? Ignore them

Comment

Does anyone look at when these threads were started? Ignore them
                Weymouth hasn't missed the playoffs since this topic was started.

Comment

Love HS Soccer and the camaraderie

Comment

Come on man

Comment

Because there is so much soccer to learn from an English teacher.

Comment

Because there is so much soccer to learn from an English teacher.
                        Hi Mr. Snarkpants,
                        Yes, I am an English teacher and have been for 25 years. I have also been a soccer coach for longer. The time that I have put into my coaching credentials through USSF and NSCAA over the years has rivaled the time I put into my graduate school work. So, before you fall off your high horse and hurt yourself, recognize that your generalizations about the world, as you understand it, are as inaccurate (and somewhat as lazy) as the ones my tenth graders try to offer in their papers. Also, in your post I noticed that you included a period, however your statement didn't form a complete sentence. Please revise that and submit later this afternoon.

Comment

Geez, with all of those credentials, you still can't motivate your 10th graders to produce good work?

Comment

Hi Mr. Snarkpants,
                            Yes, I am an English teacher and have been for 25 years. I have also been a soccer coach for longer. The time that I have put into my coaching credentials through USSF and NSCAA over the years has rivaled the time I put into my graduate school work. So, before you fall off your high horse and hurt yourself, recognize that your generalizations about the world, as you understand it, are as inaccurate (and somewhat as lazy) as the ones my tenth graders try to offer in their papers. Also, in your post I noticed that you included a period, however your statement didn't form a complete sentence. Please revise that and submit later this afternoon.
                            Just because you have a teaching degree and a coaching license. It does not really mean you can do either to any level of competence..

Comment

Just because you have a teaching degree and a coaching license. It does not really mean you can do either to any level of competence..

Yes, you are correct. It is not a guarantee, but I would also hold off on making blind generalizations about teachers being unable to coach.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X