ISL Boys Soccer 2013

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many basketball players, played in HS and then the next year went to the pro's. It probably about the same difference in ability

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I see kids saying that they would like to do both ISL and Academy. I think that the ISL soccer will be fairer and better without Academy players. The Academy players are training like professionals. This is not in the spirit of the ISL The top Academy players incuding those that used to play in the ISL are learning to play the game for college and pros. This is not fair for boys that want to excel in the classroom. They cannot be expected to compete. Also I think that the Academy boys will find ISL very poor, play, coaching, fileds, practice. It may be fun to be the best player on the field, but is it sport? If you have a kid who runs a 9 sec 100 meter while preparing for the Olympics, how would you feel about running agaisnt him at school? ISL will be great without the Academy players and the Academy players will do better without ISL. win win
      Probably one of the dumber posts I have read. How is training hard and excelling at an endeavor "not in the spirit of the ISL"? Please tell me what is the spirit of the ISL (and I went to an ISL school). And I think your characterization that Academy players don't want to excel in the classroom is also a little misplaced.

Sounds like you are the parent of a not so talented soccer player at an ISL school and you might be afraid that little Johnny won't be able to make the varsity team if all the real soccer players come out to play. I think the quality of soccer and the play of the surrounding teammates would be substantially better with the participation if Academy players.

Comment

Probably one of the dumber posts I have read. How is training hard and excelling at an endeavor "not in the spirit of the ISL"? Please tell me what is the spirit of the ISL (and I went to an ISL school). And I think your characterization that Academy players don't want to excel in the classroom is also a little misplaced.

Sounds like you are the parent of a not so talented soccer player at an ISL school and you might be afraid that little Johnny won't be able to make the varsity team if all the real soccer players come out to play. I think the quality of soccer and the play of the surrounding teammates would be substantially better with the participation if Academy players.
        The spirit of the ISL is commitment to the school, NOT to personal excellence - just ask the players that chose Acadamy in 2012. Not one ISL school said "oh yes great, we are happy that you are excelling". They all said "we don't care about your excellence, we want to win at ISL". Players were vilified, bullied and attacked - for what?
        My point is that neither the ISL or the players are bettr off with the tension. Go separate ways and it will work out better for all. I don't think the ISL soccer will improve with Academy players. For example, defenders in Academy wuld be benched for clearing the ball 50 yards. They call it a "turnover". In ISL it is the whole game. One poster said that it is all about the 50:50 ball. That is not the Academy game. So in your world, should the Academy defender clear the ball or play it out of the back? Try to improve the quality of the soccer or execute the coaches strategy?

An ISL team might win more with an Academy player who plays out of position or who plays selfishly....but really...is that what we want? Is that even what they want?

Comment

How many basketball players, played in HS and then the next year went to the pro's. It probably about the same difference in ability
          Agreed
          Of course one elite player on team of 5 very different from one of 11. There are very few elite Academy players in ISL- only BB&N has more than one I think? And soon none according to one post.

Comment

I would be happy to. This is an incomplete list so the number may be higher but at least 10 of 16 have the NSCAA National or its equivalent the USSF C.

BBN- NSCAA Premier
            Belmont Hill- USSF A
            Lawrence- USSF C
            Milton- NSCAA Advanced National
            Nobles- NCSAA Advanced National
            Rivers- USSF C
            St. Georges- NSCAA National
            St. Marks- NSCAA National
            St. Paul's- USSF B and NSCAA National
            Thayer- NSCAA Advanced National

I would have to assume that the Brooks and RL coaches have advanced licenses as well, but even if not they are clearly first rate coaches. I would bet the MX and Groton coaches have national licenses as well but do not know. All excellent coaches who choose to work in schools rather than live off the screwed up world of club soccer.
            Driving licenses maybe - Brooks and RL are the biggest "kick and runners" in the league.

Comment

Funny

Driving licenses maybe - Brooks and RL are the biggest "kick and runners" in the league.
              ha - got that right

Comment

Agreed
                Of course one elite player on team of 5 very different from one of 11. There are very few elite Academy players in ISL- only BB&N has more than one I think? And soon none according to one post.

What about Rivers?

Comment

What about Rivers?
                  Good point - without injuries, Rivers should have been able to handle RL easily. But then without bizarre waiver system prejudicing players that pay their school fees, RL would have handled Rivers easily. Will never know.

Comment

Good point - without injuries, Rivers should have been able to handle RL easily. But then without bizarre waiver system prejudicing players that pay their school fees, RL would have handled Rivers easily. Will never know.
                    Groton has no DAP players and still beat RL, Lawrence, and BBN so stop making excuses

Comment

Can we please stop talking about an irrelevant league? We all know that no ISL team will win the Stewart Cup.

Comment

Interesting you are posting at 2 am about an "irrelevant" league. Just so you know, no one cares what you think.

Isl schools have been competitive in NE tournaments for the last 25 years and as south kent showed, sometimes the class B teams are as good as anything in class A. Competing with PG schools without PG players can be tough but the best ISL teams annually compete at that level. I am not sure recruiting a ton of international players ( ie Hotchkiss, S Kent, Berkshire, Kent) makes a league "relevant", but if so watch the ISL this year as a few national level international players will be coming in.

Hope to see your team in the tournament.

Comment

Sounds like a number of talented players will be coming into the ISL next year. Apparently SH, national team player from NH, will be heading to LA to join the crew there and DB from the blazers is heading to N&G. Also hearing about a couple of talented kids coming to Milton. Any word on any of this and any other impact additions?

Comment

Why is SH going to LA? Just wondering because wouldn't he have been able to go to like South Kent? Does anyone know the story behind this?

Comment

Nobles will be the team to beat next year. Watch out.

Comment

And how will this team that ended last season with such a poor record be one of the teams to be this year?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X