Parents on sideline at practice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So who cares if parents watch. The ones that leave do their thing the ones that stay watch. Does that make a parent a control person. People drive a long way to some clubs. They sit in their car waiting and watching practice. Where is the control? The ones that leave that is their thing. Yes kids get hurt, and weather turns bad. People that live close to the fields go home and can return fairly fast. The people who have long distance runs can't leave, going shopping or Starbucks ect may not be what that person want to do. It really does not matter. But to say that a person who watches practice is a control freak is coming from a control freak person who want people to conform to their way. You do what you want, we will do what we want.

Comment

Originally posted by U17 Parent View Post
      Food for thought in this debate:
      http://soccerparenting.com/2015/02/1...atch-practice/

Let the discussion continue!!!
      Very good points...I do what the article says, which is sometimes watch the last few minutes of a practice but I do it for fun not because I feel the need to be there. One time when one of my kids was having an issue with a coach I watched more and discovered it wasn't just my kid having issue - the guy was just a di** who was later fired. Even when my kids were little I wasn't on the sidelines - in the car, going for a walk, running errands etc as long as I knew another parent was there in case something came up. Over the years I've seen too many hovering parents that get too involved with all aspects of their kids lives and it often doesn't end well. As kids get older they have to learn to be on their own, fight their own battles

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I trust the coach 100% but I love soccer and also watching my kids.
        Anyone talking about hovering , control freak etc are parents that normally don't spend a lot of time with their kids, on or off the fields. Not having time doing it is one thing, but saying I trust the coach and all of that bs is just an excuse not wanting to spend time with your kids.
        Totally disagree with your assessment. We ALL know those parents who hover. Or who are the control freaks. But someone not staying to watch the kids at practice is no excuse for not spending time with your kids. The kids are occupied. So why not spend time doing for you or your household during practice time. Sometimes I watch. Many times I go run errands. As the kids get older, many of the would rather you not be there sometimes.

The quality time with my kids comes on the ride back, the dinner we eat together, the homework I help them with, and the prayers before bed. IA little sad to think that spending time with your kids is watching a soccer practice session that doesn't involve actual interaction with the kids.

Comment

I go running at the park while my daughter's at practice. That way I'm still around if she needs to take shelter in case of thunderstorms, but I'm not hovering around hearing all the parent drama.

Comment

Totally disagree with your assessment. We ALL know those parents who hover. Or who are the control freaks. But someone not staying to watch the kids at practice is no excuse for not spending time with your kids. The kids are occupied. So why not spend time doing for you or your household during practice time. Sometimes I watch. Many times I go run errands. As the kids get older, many of the would rather you not be there sometimes.

The quality time with my kids comes on the ride back, the dinner we eat together, the homework I help them with, and the prayers before bed. IA little sad to think that spending time with your kids is watching a soccer practice session that doesn't involve actual interaction with the kids.
            It is a long drive there and back and I use that time to talk to my child. What is interesting I do my best to not discuss soccer, unless they want to. It is hard, because I love that she plays and I very much enjoy her experiencing some of the things I experienced as a child, but I also know that over time my relationship with my own father was always centered around football. I look back and can find few conversations about anything but football and I didn't want that relationship with my child. If they want to talk I will be happy to, but I also try to take interest in other things that interest them.

Getting to your point. You are very much correct. Watching your child may feel like support, but it doesn't allow them to be themselves. All kids have a personality that is different from the one they show to their parents and only when I am not around are tey comfortable enough to allow that personality to show.

I don't say this to be negative to the parents who do stay and watch. Maybe those children feel more comfortable with their parents there. In the end, to each their own, I think it s good, for all of us, to understand that each family is different and we should do our best not to judge the way they do things. There is not one way to raise a child to have positive results.

Anyways, good luck to all during the season...looking forward to an injury free season of growth and fun.

Comment

I stay at every practice. I like to see that my child is giving 100% or we have a problem. If my kid is screwing up, I'll scream instructions. On water breaks, I try to give pointers too. I also talk to the coach about strategy and how good my child is. I have to be a supportive parent.

Comment

Why does this sound like that this is a negative thing or a no no thing that parents watch? Nothing wrong with parents watching nothing wrong with parents who don't. What is wrong is the person who is telling that parent that they are doing something wrong. That is where the control thing comes into play.

Comment

Depends on the situation. Our team's coach is the first one to leave, and kids better have backups for storms or when the practice ends early. It isn't the safest fields with lights for kids to wait out at night. Sometimes when I think I might run a quick errand another mom will say can you keep an eye out for my child while I drive to go get another one of my children.
                  Coaches in our club are not allowed to leave the complex if a player's parents aren't there.

Comment

Coaches in our club are not allowed to leave the complex if a player's parents aren't there.
                    Nor ours - they can't leave until the last kid is picked up OR another trusted adult has agreed to stay until that happens.

If parents want to stay for enjoyment that's great. But I have seen too many who are there either because they hover everything their kids do, OR think they're an expert at soccer and love talking with the coach afterwards about every session (as the coach tries to discreetly run away) OR think their kid is being treated unfairly and want to prove it somehow. I'm not going to tell them how to parent, but I do feel very sorry for their kids. You can pretty much script out what is going to happen next (unless the parent finally has an epiphany).

Comment

Coaching, I do not want parents anywhere near my practice that can distract my players.

6-9 it is okay but once they make the move to competitive parents need to step back.

The reason is that even if you sit there quietly and chat with other parents you child will look to you for positive affirmation.

Examples:

Your child does great in a drill, and I say "good job." They will look your way to see if you heard in and agreed. If I have to correct what they did wrong, they will look to see if you were disappointed.

As a parent, you are well behaved and not interfering with my training. The issue is your child wants to make you proud and please you in every way. Sitting on the sideline during practice changes my players focus on learning the game to pleasing mom or dad.

That is why I do not want parents on the sidelines during practice.

Comment

Coaching, I do not want parents anywhere near my practice that can distract my players.

6-9 it is okay but once they make the move to competitive parents need to step back.

The reason is that even if you sit there quietly and chat with other parents you child will look to you for positive affirmation.

Examples:

Your child does great in a drill, and I say "good job." They will look your way to see if you heard in and agreed. If I have to correct what they did wrong, they will look to see if you were disappointed.

As a parent, you are well behaved and not interfering with my training. The issue is your child wants to make you proud and please you in every way. Sitting on the sideline during practice changes my players focus on learning the game to pleasing mom or dad.

Get over yourself. Can't coach or train when the pressure is on? Please that shouldn't mean anything to you. Put 1 person on the sidelines put 400 on the sidelines should be the same mentally. Let's turn this into golf and tennis and force the crowd to quiet down while we train and play games too.

Comment

Examples:

As a player (older now) I loved having either of my parents at practice. As I played competitive, I barely got to see them if they didn't come. I left before my dad got home from work and went to bed when I got home from the fields. Believe it or not coach, there are parents that just love watching their kids, never judging.

Comment

As a player (older now) I loved having either of my parents at practice. As I played competitive, I barely got to see them if they didn't come. I left before my dad got home from work and went to bed when I got home from the fields. Believe it or not coach, there are parents that just love watching their kids, never judging.
                            Well said. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Get over yourself. Can't coach or train when the pressure is on? Please that shouldn't mean anything to you. Put 1 person on the sidelines put 400 on the sidelines should be the same mentally. Let's turn this into golf and tennis and force the crowd to quiet down while we train and play games too.
                              Yer a moron.

I'm not the OP. But you completely misread his post. Or you're just a troll.

He didn't say HE (the coach) was under pressure. He said it puts the kids under unnecessary pressure.
                              And I agree. Not quite for the same reasons. The kids don't look over for their parent's approval. They look over for their parents scowls and moans.

Ever see kids in a group setting without any parents around? Notice how open they are. How creative, social and not worried about judgment. Yes, even a little rowdy. It goes for any setting. School, sports, social gatherings.

The quicker you let your kid be him/her self and and not stand over them like a hawk, the more creative and successful they become.
                              Sit in the same room while they take a major test in school. I guarantee their score drops.

So the problem is not being on the sideline. Its being there with all attention focused on how good your kid's pass was. Instead, sit on the sideline, converse with the other parents about mocha-frappa-whatevers. Go for a run and get in shape. It will make your kid a better soccer player.

Just like dropping them off at school and getting as far away as possible makes them better students.

Comment

Yer a moron.

I'm not the OP. But you completely misread his post. Or you're just a troll.

He didn't say HE (the coach) was under pressure. He said it puts the kids under unnecessary pressure.
                                And I agree. Not quite for the same reasons. The kids don't look over for their parent's approval. They look over for their parents scowls and moans.

Ever see kids in a group setting without any parents around? Notice how open they are. How creative, social and not worried about judgment. Yes, even a little rowdy. It goes for any setting. School, sports, social gatherings.

The quicker you let your kid be him/her self and and not stand over them like a hawk, the more creative and successful they become.
                                Sit in the same room while they take a major test in school. I guarantee their score drops.

So the problem is not being on the sideline. Its being there with all attention focused on how good your kid's pass was. Instead, sit on the sideline, converse with the other parents about mocha-frappa-whatevers. Go for a run and get in shape. It will make your kid a better soccer player.

Just like dropping them off at school and getting as far away as possible makes them better students.
                                Pressure bust pipes but pressure creates diamonds also. In this sport pressure must be on at practice the most. Play how you train. Is the motto. If you training enivorment is free and easy most likely thats how they will play in the game. Pressure is all over. Coaches should feel pressure because who wants a coach that can't handle pressure to teach or perform in certain situations.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X