Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soccer Specific Stadiums

Before clicking the link, guess where the Revs rank out of 22.

The attendance figures for the Revs aren't shabby but that must include no-shows and even if they had 30,000 at a game, the atmosphere would be like a tomb. No matter how snobby you want to be about the quality of the games on the field, attending an MLS at a "proper" club (even Seattle, which plays in the Seahawks stadium) is 10x better.

And yet we (or at least 20,000 New Englanders) keep turning out for the Revs. I admire their fandom but we are missing out on so much with the Revs. Their marketing department calls about season tickets and at this point I just tell them to call me when there's a stadium and I'll sign up in a heartbeat.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...r-orlando-city

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Before clicking the link, guess where the Revs rank out of 22.

The attendance figures for the Revs aren't shabby but that must include no-shows and even if they had 30,000 at a game, the atmosphere would be like a tomb. No matter how snobby you want to be about the quality of the games on the field, attending an MLS at a "proper" club (even Seattle, which plays in the Seahawks stadium) is 10x better.

And yet we (or at least 20,000 New Englanders) keep turning out for the Revs. I admire their fandom but we are missing out on so much with the Revs. Their marketing department calls about season tickets and at this point I just tell them to call me when there's a stadium and I'll sign up in a heartbeat.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...r-orlando-city

So what is the point?
    Having been to the Revs game at a stadium built for nearly 70,000, I find it quite comfortable. The parking lot is massive. It is not build in the middle of any city that might have traffic issues. There is plenty of room to sit. The bathrooms are built for larger groups so there is no waiting to piss. There are plenty of places to eat. When the game is done, I hop in the car (or stick around to tail-gate some more) and leave without ridiculously long lines........all in part due to the fact that we have 20-30K fans attending a game in a stadium designed to hold 2-3 times that amount.

What part about what I just said seems bad to anyone???

Comment

So what is the point?
      Having been to the Revs game at a stadium built for nearly 70,000, I find it quite comfortable. The parking lot is massive. It is not build in the middle of any city that might have traffic issues. There is plenty of room to sit. The bathrooms are built for larger groups so there is no waiting to piss. There are plenty of places to eat. When the game is done, I hop in the car (or stick around to tail-gate some more) and leave without ridiculously long lines........all in part due to the fact that we have 20-30K fans attending a game in a stadium designed to hold 2-3 times that amount.

Ambiance. Sitting in a half-empty stadium looks horrible, sounds worse. It has an opera feel, not a sporting feel.

Comment

So what is the point?

I agree completely. I think the game should be played on grass, but the surface they installed last year is as close as you can get.

Comment

I agree completely. I think the game should be played on grass, but the surface they installed last year is as close as you can get.
          If only there was a way to somehow grow grass right?!

Comment

Ambiance. Sitting in a half-empty stadium looks horrible, sounds worse. It has an opera feel, not a sporting feel.
            Exactly. I can deal with the plastic turf, but not the NFL grid. Have you ever been to another MLS stadium? Same "product" on the field, but totally different atmosphere. If I wanted food selection, convenience and comfort, I'd stay at home and watch in HD. But then, when I do that, why would I ever watch the Revs over any other soccer match (pick amongst the Prem, Bundesliga, La Liga or Serie A, not to mention MX)?

Also, stadiums in the city - most don't drive there. You know, kind of like Fenway.

Comment

Exactly. I can deal with the plastic turf, but not the NFL grid. Have you ever been to another MLS stadium? Same "product" on the field, but totally different atmosphere. If I wanted food selection, convenience and comfort, I'd stay at home and watch in HD. But then, when I do that, why would I ever watch the Revs over any other soccer match (pick amongst the Prem, Bundesliga, La Liga or Serie A, not to mention MX)?

Also, stadiums in the city - most don't drive there. You know, kind of like Fenway.

Regarding your 'food selection, convenience and comfort', why ever attend a sport outside of your home. Having been to a couple of Patriots games with section 110 row 10 seats, I hope never to go again. A massive obnoxious drunk crowd that stands the entire time making me watch most of the game on the jumbotron. Compared to the Brazil Mexico game a number of years ago.....a massive crowd that really enjoyed the game and, believe it or not, was not the same obnoxious crowd seen at a Pats game.

As for soccer.....grass, turf, street, dirt.......it is the game that you either love or don't. It is the game played by everyone in the world, and everywhere in the world and on any surface that is somewhat flat with a couple of goals made up of, perhaps some t-shirts. Heck, we even play it in our basement when the weather isn't good......

Comment

I see the need to separate the stadiums as no different then after 30 years ago, and most cities went to a single multi-function stadium (i.e. football/baseball), all have been blown up. Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Philly, Cleveland, Kansas City, St. Louis, etc. etc.

Different sports draw different crowds and the stadium experience should be tailored to the specific sport.

Comment

I see the need to separate the stadiums as no different then after 30 years ago, and most cities went to a single multi-function stadium (i.e. football/baseball), all have been blown up. Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Philly, Cleveland, Kansas City, St. Louis, etc. etc.

Different sports draw different crowds and the stadium experience should be tailored to the specific sport.

Again, my only personal preference is that I would enjoy soccer played anywhere including a large football stadium regardless of the lines.....the game itself is great.
                  However, let me give you a hypothetical....soccer in the US becomes really big and the Revs start to draw 40,000.....however, because you wanted a soccer only stadium of ?? how many seats? Most of the other soccer only stadiums have 20-30K seats. Now you find yourself having to expand or build a new stadium......or you could just keep what you have knowing that the future is limitless.

by the way....these are small stadiums compared to the rest of the world.

Also, the draw for international games would exceed most of the soccer only stadiums

Comment

Who knew Bob Kraft posted on T-S. ;) Awesome.

Comment

Again, my only personal preference is that I would enjoy soccer played anywhere including a large football stadium regardless of the lines.....the game itself is great.
                      However, let me give you a hypothetical....soccer in the US becomes really big and the Revs start to draw 40,000.....however, because you wanted a soccer only stadium of ?? how many seats? Most of the other soccer only stadiums have 20-30K seats. Now you find yourself having to expand or build a new stadium......or you could just keep what you have knowing that the future is limitless.

by the way....these are small stadiums compared to the rest of the world.

Also, the draw for international games would exceed most of the soccer only stadiums

No reason international matches can't be played in a large stadium. The idea is to right size the stadium for the attendance.

The Revs can't, and won't. You could build a right-sized stadium, have it run it's course and be ready for replacement by the time the Revs need a 40k stadium....

Comment

Who knew Bob Kraft posted on T-S. ;) Awesome.

Haha.....I should be so lucky

Comment

No reason international matches can't be played in a large stadium. The idea is to right size the stadium for the attendance.

The Revs can't, and won't. You could build a right-sized stadium, have it run it's course and be ready for replacement by the time the Revs need a 40k stadium....
                          Most stadium in Europe and SA are small (under 30,000). There are more of them though if we included college football maybe not. But there are only a handful of stadiums on par with the typical NFL stadium.

Think of when a club gets promoted to the Premium and they have to add seats to conform with league requirements. Even Spurs debate whether playing in the big Olympic place is better than White Hart Lane because of atmosphere.

And if I'm shelling out for tickets parking concession I'll be choosing a total experience. Some might ignore all the crap amenities and non existent atmosphere for quality soccer but not me. Then again, I don't think one would argue for MLS on the merits of what we see on the field. And I'm in "it's not that bad" camp.

Comment

Most stadium in Europe and SA are small (under 30,000). There are more of them though if we included college football maybe not. But there are only a handful of stadiums on par with the typical NFL stadium.

Think of when a club gets promoted to the Premium and they have to add seats to conform with league requirements. Even Spurs debate whether playing in the big Olympic place is better than White Hart Lane because of atmosphere.

And if I'm shelling out for tickets parking concession I'll be choosing a total experience. Some might ignore all the crap amenities and non existent atmosphere for quality soccer but not me. Then again, I don't think one would argue for MLS on the merits of what we see on the field. And I'm in "it's not that bad" camp.

I would not say that 'most' are under 30,000 nor that 'only a handful.....on par with....'
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ms_by_capacity

The only experience I want is to watch good soccer. The average pro football tickets (average) runs from 50-122 dollars
                            http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1928432

that price allows you to sit in stadiums ranging in size from 50-85K
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eague_stadiums

....with loud obnoxious fans..........

personally, I like the space and comfort of gillette for soccer.......but maybe I am just claustrophobic, just want to watch good soccer, and don't care about the 'total experience'

I also prefer a large amount of good tasting pasta +/- meat on a simple plate and tableware without garnishes at the mom and pop italian place........

Comment

About time to have a home of their own

It's time to move futbal to the masses who enjoy it. In the city with public transport access, a grass field and their own stadium. Revs have a growing base and reputation.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X