Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Drawer Soccer Issues

This organization needs more transparency and accountablity, or even a phone number. We see they are now lowering ratings for players, even starters on Academy teams, without justification. Time to start requiring them to publish a rating sheet for players before they can just place a star rating. That way they actually have to take time to see a player and rate them properly. Just a money making group of bloggers. For every player they might benefit, there is one that they don't get right. Hopefully colleges are getting smart on the issues. Any thoughts?

TDS Ratings Inconsistent

Agree. It seems confusing when a U18 player is rated a two star and a 14 year old player is rated a three star. Are they really saying the younger player is better. When we have looked at the site, it use to be that players started a one star then move to two , then to three and on as they get older. Now it isn't right.

Comment

Agree. A couple of the strongest players on my daughters team aren't rated/ranked, while some of the others have 2-3 stars because, why? They do Super Y? ODP? TDS will also rank kids who pay to go to their Unsigned Showcases. I've been watching these rankings through the years and, honestly, they have left us scratching our heads. They base their rankings off of ECNL and DA box scores posted online--rarely from watching matches. High school soccer honors don't hold much weight with them, either. Unfortunately, I do believe some of the college coaches have drunk the Kool-Aid.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Agree. A couple of the strongest players on my daughters team aren't rated/ranked, while some of the others have 2-3 stars because, why? They do Super Y? ODP? TDS will also rank kids who pay to go to their Unsigned Showcases. I've been watching these rankings through the years and, honestly, they have left us scratching our heads. They base their rankings off of ECNL and DA box scores posted online--rarely from watching matches. High school soccer honors don't hold much weight with them, either. Unfortunately, I do believe some of the college coaches have drunk the Kool-Aid.
        TDS ranking is complete BS. If a coach is depending on that, that coach is a fool.

Comment

TDS ranking is complete BS. If a coach is depending on that, that coach is a fool.
          Totally agree. The only ones who would get upset by it are those who think their kid should be rated higher. Your kid has to bring it on the field. That's what a coach sees, not their rating (or at least a coach who has a clue).

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
            It is the same with everything. Just one more piece of data that a coach could take or leave.

Comment

Mass marketing manipulation of willing participants. Exactly the same as Gotsoccer points.

Comment

This organization needs more transparency and accountablity, or even a phone number. We see they are now lowering ratings for players, even starters on Academy teams, without justification. Time to start requiring them to publish a rating sheet for players before they can just place a star rating. That way they actually have to take time to see a player and rate them properly. Just a money making group of bloggers. For every player they might benefit, there is one that they don't get right. Hopefully colleges are getting smart on the issues. Any thoughts?
                Ever heard of the First Amendment?

They have every right to publish whatever opinions they have, justified or not, and you have every right to ignore them. What you don't have a right to do is to "require" them to justify their opinions.

Comment

You Sound like a bunch of whiners. Im sorry your kid isnt on it. Im sure there is good reason. At the lower end, say 75 and down, ya, you could find many kids you or anyone would say was equally talented. The kids that make it on, have done something to get noticed at a high ranking event or been invited to and done well at National camps. I have tracked these rankings for years, in my daughters age group and others. The best players find their way to the top, and I mean top 30 or so, by u16. Stars are basically parts of the game they are looking for. more stars, more complete player. Yes in their eyes, but thats the criteria. So ya, a 2 star u-18 player is going to crush a 4 star u-14, but for her age, they are saying the u-14 has more of a complete game. No system will be perfect, and im sure some politics involved, but when Ive seen players do well at ECNL playoffs, or National camps, they move up.

Comment

Agree. It seems confusing when a U18 player is rated a two star and a 14 year old player is rated a three star. Are they really saying the younger player is better. When we have looked at the site, it use to be that players started a one star then move to two , then to three and on as they get older. Now it isn't right.
                    wah wah wah. My kid isn't ranked as highly as I think they should be.

Comment

I happen to find the rankings incredibly accurate.

Comment

They're fine for what they are and eventhough my kid is pretty high on the list I don't put much into it all. Success in getting noticed by college coaches isn't because of TDS ratings; it's performance. That said there are some lower ranked players that I don't even understand how they get on the list in the first place.

Comment

They're fine for what they are and eventhough my kid is pretty high on the list I don't put much into it all. Success in getting noticed by college coaches isn't because of TDS ratings; it's performance. That said there are some lower ranked players that I don't even understand how they get on the list in the first place.
                          I see alot of players getting on when they are younger when their success is primarily because of superior athleticism due to early blooming. Some of these kids fall off the map in later years, but it seems like they never take anyone off. They get bumped down, but it takes a long time to fall out. And yes, as much as I think they pretty get the top 25 or so right, no coach is using this as a major part of their recruiting, but college college and NT coaches do contribute to the rankings, at least thats what Ive heard. So if you see a kid move up, its because they created a buzz in the college ranks from something they did.

Comment

These lists are basically another ECNL marketing tool.

Comment

I see alot of players getting on when they are younger when their success is primarily because of superior athleticism due to early blooming. Some of these kids fall off the map in later years, but it seems like they never take anyone off. They get bumped down, but it takes a long time to fall out. And yes, as much as I think they pretty get the top 25 or so right, no coach is using this as a major part of their recruiting, but college college and NT coaches do contribute to the rankings, at least thats what Ive heard. So if you see a kid move up, its because they created a buzz in the college ranks from something they did.
                              You are correct.

But what does OP want? How big to you think TDS's budget is? They can't be everywhere and in reality, there are just a few principles involved.

Is it perfect? Of course not, but at least it's something. This is youth soccer, not high revenue drivers like football or men's bb, where there is significant demand and interest for information on recruits and there are legitimate revenue streams to support it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X