Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Over the past few years since ECNL started and all of the talent in the area headed there and opted out of ODP seeing it as unnecessary. Leaving ODP with B and C team girls. Some have joined ECNL this year and are struggling to keep up. So being a Top ODP kid may not be what it used to be.
    If it makes you feel better in your ecnl world with a kid not in ODP.

Comment

Over the past few years since ECNL started and all of the talent in the area headed there and opted out of ODP seeing it as unnecessary. Leaving ODP with B and C team girls. Some have joined ECNL this year and are struggling to keep up. So being a Top ODP kid may not be what it used to be.
      I have not seen any B or C team players the last 3 years even get through the 1st tryout.
      B & C team players will not even be looked at in ODP so what craziness are you talking about.

Comment

If it makes you feel better in your ecnl world with a kid not in ODP.
        if it makes u feel better to have your daughter go to ODP to show up some B and C team players so you can feel proud and that she's a "TOP PLAYER" then go for it. You should have her go to the YMCA she would really show those kids up.

Comment

My daughter has been in ODP for 3 years. In general, as the girls age it seems the numbers showing up to try out go down because there is a perception that they will have a harder time making the State team (because they make smaller teams as they age and the girls that have been selected a few years in a row have a head-start). However, I did notice that this year the number of girls at tryouts is greater than ever.

I was talking to a group of parents with kids from the Naples area and they said that for people that come from areas without practical access to ECNL that there is increasing belief that ODP is a vehicle for exposure, extra training, etc. And they said the arrival of Girls DA is driving that belief even more. So ironically, even with increased options available in certain parts of Florida, people that live in other parts of Florida are even more interested in ODP and therefore the numbers appear to be up. A friend of ours in Georgia said their ODP numbers are up at tryouts too.
          Agreed! But I will further say that level of talent in those high numbers has dropped off completely , as the previous poster said , there is truth to ALOT of kids who didn't make it past trials who have Been to these sessions. This is why the numbers grew up until the last session. I speak for the 03s as well as 04s as I have kids in both age groups.

Comment

DEFINETLY watered down! ALOT of new kids that never made it past trials but due to specific ODP trainers belonging to various clubs , there was a LARGE number who were "invited" to participate ! Some looked pathetic ,others looked good! Not to many "elite" players ! It is DEFINETLY a money maker now! We will see if they take 3 or 4 teams to Alabama this year!$$$ Lol
            There are way to many kids this year! Seems like too many! Agreed being a money maker! Don't agree with the pathetic comment, but there were some rec players. If your team plays south Florida soccer league, you shouldn't be at ODP

Comment

I have not seen any B or C team players the last 3 years even get through the 1st tryout.
              B & C team players will not even be looked at in ODP so what craziness are you talking about.
              Plenty of b and c players at the ODP this past weekend

Comment

Agreed! But I will further say that level of talent in those high numbers has dropped off completely , as the previous poster said , there is truth to ALOT of kids who didn't make it past trials who have Been to these sessions. This is why the numbers grew up until the last session. I speak for the 03s as well as 04s as I have kids in both age groups.
                You can't make some people happy. If they cut kids early in the process crazy parents complain they didn't give the kids a fair shot and a few looks for those kids "that don't show well." If they are more inclusive and let more kids try out or more kids advance in the process then crazy parents complain there's too many kids and its "watered down."

It's really not that complicated. Have your kid show up and play their best each and every time and they will be in the best position to advance and succeed (and what do you care if there is some extra kids running around that aren't as good as yours?).

Comment

You can't make some people happy. If they cut kids early in the process crazy parents complain they didn't give the kids a fair shot and a few looks for those kids "that don't show well." If they are more inclusive and let more kids try out or more kids advance in the process then crazy parents complain there's too many kids and its "watered down."

It's really not that complicated. Have your kid show up and play their best each and every time and they will be in the best position to advance and succeed (and what do you care if there is some extra kids running around that aren't as good as yours?).
                  Well, I don't care how many kids are there, my issue is WHY hold trials or "tryouts" if they are gonna allow every kid whose mommy complains to there DOC that little Susie wants to do ODP! Just let everyone who wants to attend go then! I know quite a few kids that "didn't make the trials" and were not given the shot a lot of these walk ons or add ons got. If your gonna allow it, let everyone go

Comment

A lot of those kids were from there clubs "B" team! ODP supposed to be a route to regional- then national for the elite! It has turned into a rec Clinic for those that can't make ECNL.

Comment

Well, I don't care how many kids are there, my issue is WHY hold trials or "tryouts" if they are gonna allow every kid whose mommy complains to there DOC that little Susie wants to do ODP! Just let everyone who wants to attend go then! I know quite a few kids that "didn't make the trials" and were not given the shot a lot of these walk ons or add ons got. If your gonna allow it, let everyone go
                      The bottom line is that ODP has lost some players. The players from last year will be selected again because the coaching staff already knows their capability. If the kid did not hold up well in Alabama they will be replaced. Some kids will be replaced because they digressed due to lack of training or just plain disinterest. If your kid did well in Alabama and looked like they still had their skill level, then they are going back to Bama. With that being said if your kid shines at the ODP trials and this was their first time there they too will be selected. If your kid got there because some new ODP/club DOC recommended you you will not be selected unless you show you are qualified. Yes they want to make money with the Florida Trainings but they also want to win in Alabama. They are taking players to Alabama that will compete strong for the state in Region 3.

Comment

The trials are open to everyone. I tend to agree those scouted or recommended should have to start at the trials like the rest.

Comment

The trials are open to everyone. I tend to agree those scouted or recommended should have to start at the trials like the rest.
                          The trials are open to EVERYONE! but after that, why are kids being put into the training by there coaches or DOCs who are coaches at ODP? It's all about $$$ , ODP is now a glorified rec training program

Comment

The bottom line is that ODP has lost some players. The players from last year will be selected again because the coaching staff already knows their capability. If the kid did not hold up well in Alabama they will be replaced. Some kids will be replaced because they digressed due to lack of training or just plain disinterest. If your kid did well in Alabama and looked like they still had their skill level, then they are going back to Bama. With that being said if your kid shines at the ODP trials and this was their first time there they too will be selected. If your kid got there because some new ODP/club DOC recommended you you will not be selected unless you show you are qualified. Yes they want to make money with the Florida Trainings but they also want to win in Alabama. They are taking players to Alabama that will compete strong for the state in Region 3.
                            Agree with this, but let's see how many of those kids squeak through due to there "ODP/DOC" !

Comment

Agree with this, but let's see how many of those kids squeak through due to there "ODP/DOC" !
                              If the kid is good, they'll earn their way to Alabama. The trials aren't the only time the ODP coaches see these players. Maybe kids show up for their open training sessions to get a second look. Maybe the coaches see something they missed at trials. They were at Disney for example watching games, so maybe they see someone not on their radar that stood out in an actual game or three so they extended a late invite? Why is it always the opinion that something nefarious is going on? I'm not saying it's always on the up and up, but it works both ways. I know a handful of kids that can run circles around boys that made ODP but weren't initially selected. So the less talented get a pass, but the ones with more talent don't get considered? How does that help anybody?

Comment

Everything balances out in the end. Who starts and gets the pt are key.
                                Getting your kid's name listed is for parents and the club to brag.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X