UCONN Women's Soccer being sued

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She screwed up. Athletes are supposed to be held to a high standard in terms of behavior, and though some will scream "double standard", women athletes more so.

Seems to me her parents didn't do a very good job with this special snowflake teaching her proper decorum. Seriously, imagine she is your employee and she gets her picture taken flipping the bird at some major corporate event. What do you think would happen? She would get fired. Well, she just received her first life lesson.

I'm sure that lesson will be completely missed as this generation of special snowflakes is way too self-centered and entitled to admit they screwed up and own it.

Comment

Yes a 19 year old made a mistake. But it hardly qualifies as what the coach described as “serious misconduct.” Her point that male (especially revenue sport) athletes get a different treatment is valid. Many athletes have done far worse, criminal in fact, yet retain their spots and scholarships. Unless there's something else there sounds it like she's got a good case.

Comment

I know for a fact the UCONN coaches come on to TS, so I think they'll pay attention to everyone's advice and settle.

Comment

None of the TS lawyers know all the facts in this case. The plaintiff lawyer is obviously playing his cards in the media to influence public opinion. The defense lawyers have applied duct tape to the key folks. Let it play out.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            None of the TS lawyers know all the facts in this case. The plaintiff lawyer is obviously playing his cards in the media to influence public opinion. The defense lawyers have applied duct tape to the key folks. Let it play out.
            Speculation is what we do. It's way less fun to sit quietly and wait for the case to conclude.

Comment

My daughter is committed here.......should she look elsewhere based on this?

Comment

My daughter is committed here.......should she look elsewhere based on this?
                Sure it will open up a spot for my kid

Comment

Sure it will open up a spot for my kid
                  Nope, it won't.

Comment

Yes a 19 year old made a mistake. But it hardly qualifies as what the coach described as “serious misconduct.” Her point that male (especially revenue sport) athletes get a different treatment is valid. Many athletes have done far worse, criminal in fact, yet retain their spots and scholarships. Unless there's something else there sounds it like she's got a good case.
                    Perhaps she did more than that.

Comment

Sounds like there is a double-standard. But doubt there's something saying everybody has to be treated exactly the same (which there can't be, since we're talking about athletic scholarships), so would have to prove it's because she's female. I'd guess her best bet would be to get govt lawyers applying Title IX pressure to induce a settlement. I don't want to reignite that argument, but the clock may be ticking on pulling that lever. She may have gotten a raw deal, but not a terribly sympathetic plaintiff, and presumably the coach is going to say that was just the tip of the iceberg (and the last straw).

Comment

How about women soccer players getting more scholarships than the men players ... that's not fair

Comment

How about women soccer players getting more scholarships than the men players ... that's not fair
                          Sounds like a double standard

Comment

can you say football team?

Comment

can you say football team?
                              All I care about is futbol... double standard to have more scholarships for women than men on a per sport basis.

Comment

All I care about is futbol... double standard to have more scholarships for women than men on a per sport basis.
                                you are an extreme minority in this country, mate.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X