•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Oh boy...new website

https://www.facebook.com/norianasvoice/

If she finds her voice this could get loud.
    While taking the scholarship away mid-year is wrong, she did not do herself any favors with her actions

She should be careful. Her current actions are starting to make it seem like a money grab/vengeance play.

Comment

While taking the scholarship away mid-year is wrong, she did not do herself any favors with her actions

She should be careful. Her current actions are starting to make it seem like a money grab/vengeance play.
      I beg to differ. She is standing up for herself in a corrupt world. She messed up and it was wrong. Football players get charged with rape, assault, drugs, OUI, etc and they don't lose their scholarships. When a player commits to a scholarship they are committing to the institution, team, and other players. Most she should have received was a suspension for her actions next year. Not revoking her scholarship.

This was dirty from the start. If this was your daughter you would be up in arms as I would be. NCAA is so corrupt. She is holding the institution and coach to their word. If morals and values have no value what do we have? I for one and glad she is taking on this fight. I look at her as a hero and role model for others. She had good grades, played well, and was an asset to the team. Giving the finger although wrong and disrespectful is not egregious. She should have been held accountable but not termination of her scholarship.

If they held all athletes to the same standards then I would be all for this. They don't by any means. With pro athletes doing what they want and acting like children there is not to many real role models left. Just my two cents. No ones opinions are wrong.

Comment

If this was so important, why didn't her family file a timely appeal? It all happened during Christmas break, so presumably the family had plenty, without the distractions of sports or studies, to discuss their options and plan a course of action. Bureaucracies thrive on rules, and if you don't follow them to the letter often screech to a halt. Try appealing a tax bill you file late. Good luck.

The reality is this girl was expendable. She was not in the teams plans. 9 AAC level games, with zero points for an offensive midfielder, over a 20 game season, was plenty of evaluation time for the coaches and she didn't impress. D1 is not for the faint of heart. Programs regularly run off kids, in a variety of ways. This was an egregious example, especially since a clear upgrade was being targeted, but the result could have been the same in multiple other scenarios. We have discussed in depth a couple local players that transferred from UConn to UMass, that probably played on this very same team.

I sympathize, but am not surprised. To remain competitive most top coaches and programs treat their players pretty shabby. It is a stark reality most players and families don't expect.

Comment

If this was so important, why didn't her family file a timely appeal? It all happened during Christmas break, so presumably the family had plenty, without the distractions of sports or studies, to discuss their options and plan a course of action. Bureaucracies thrive on rules, and if you don't follow them to the letter often screech to a halt. Try appealing a tax bill you file late. Good luck.

The reality is this girl was expendable. She was not in the teams plans. 9 AAC level games, with zero points for an offensive midfielder, over a 20 game season, was plenty of evaluation time for the coaches and she didn't impress. D1 is not for the faint of heart. Programs regularly run off kids, in a variety of ways. This was an egregious example, especially since a clear upgrade was being targeted, but the result could have been the same in multiple other scenarios. We have discussed in depth a couple local players that transferred from UConn to UMass, that probably played on this very same team.

I sympathize, but am not surprised. To remain competitive most top coaches and programs treat their players pretty shabby. It is a stark reality most players and families don't expect.
          Maybe so, but the lesson here is that if you can going to strip the scholarship for a reason, you best be applying those standards equally across the board with all of your athletes.

Comment

The "reason" in this and most examples of kids being run off is the player is not in the coaches plans. I have heard of coaches bringing kids in for evaluation and explaining they will never play, not even a minute, but will still be expected to attend every practice, workout or team function, regardless of how it impacts studies. Most players transfer right away.

Comment

I beg to differ. She is standing up for herself in a corrupt world. She messed up and it was wrong. Football players get charged with rape, assault, drugs, OUI, etc and they don't lose their scholarships. When a player commits to a scholarship they are committing to the institution, team, and other players. Most she should have received was a suspension for her actions next year. Not revoking her scholarship.

This was dirty from the start. If this was your daughter you would be up in arms as I would be. NCAA is so corrupt. She is holding the institution and coach to their word. If morals and values have no value what do we have? I for one and glad she is taking on this fight. I look at her as a hero and role model for others. She had good grades, played well, and was an asset to the team. Giving the finger although wrong and disrespectful is not egregious. She should have been held accountable but not termination of her scholarship.

If they held all athletes to the same standards then I would be all for this. They don't by any means. With pro athletes doing what they want and acting like children there is not to many real role models left. Just my two cents. No ones opinions are wrong.
              I agree that there is a double standard across the sports and it's due to the money involved. I don't like it, but that's they way it is. Kids need to understand that these programs are run like businesses and nothing is guaranteed.

Let's take a look at the real issue. He likely needed to clear a scholarship for MA and this was the way to do it. She gave the coach and opening and he took it. If it were my kid, I would have told her that she put herself in that position by acting inappropriately.

Is it lousy? Yes. Is it done at other schools? Most likely.

Comment

Any lawyers that have read the links willing to comment on the cases?

Comment

I agree that there is a double standard across the sports and it's due to the money involved. I don't like it, but that's they way it is. Kids need to understand that these programs are run like businesses and nothing is guaranteed.

Let's take a look at the real issue. He likely needed to clear a scholarship for MA and this was the way to do it. She gave the coach and opening and he took it. If it were my kid, I would have told her that she put herself in that position by acting inappropriately.

Is it lousy? Yes. Is it done at other schools? Most likely.
                  Wow, 18-22 year old kids make mistakes all the time. This wasn't a huge mistake and could have been dealt with better. I hope he pays for treating the kid this way. He turned her life upside down and should know better.

Comment

And maybe it is something that needs to change. It can completely upend people's lives and the schools, coaches and the NCAA hold all the power. At least in cases like this there should be some kind of review process by someone impartial. You can't really regulate a coach deciding the player just isn't cutting it of course, but this was different as they used her act as the reason to boot her midyear. On the CT board there's talk that he's a well-known hot headed dbag so his impulsiveness might bite the school in the arse - he could have just waited until later to say "Sorry. you're not living up to expectations." Probably wouldn't be much of a case that way.

Then there's the issue of male athletes being treated differently. That's where UCONN could really be in hot water.

Comment

Seems there is a review process, and this player didn't appeal in a timely manner to follow it. She may have prevailed without having to pursue various charges in state and federal court. She still might be at UConn, projected to play next fall with key graduations this year. But we will never know.

Comment

Wow, 18-22 year old kids make mistakes all the time. This wasn't a huge mistake and could have been dealt with better. I hope he pays for treating the kid this way. He turned her life upside down and should know better.
                        Her scholarship was pulled. She wasn't kicked out of school.
                        Point is...he could have done it anyway and it sounds like he would have in an effort to get MA.

Comment

Seems there is a review process, and this player didn't appeal in a timely manner to follow it. She may have prevailed without having to pursue various charges in state and federal court. She still might be at UConn, projected to play next fall with key graduations this year. But we will never know.

From multiple media sources" “She was never given the opportunity to defend herself, or to appeal the decision in any way,” said Greg Tarone, her attorney.

Comment

Her scholarship was pulled. She wasn't kicked out of school.
                            Point is...he could have done it anyway and it sounds like he would have in an effort to get MA.
                            Scholarship pulled midyear and kicked off the team; ended up with a partial scholarship at a much lesser school. Had he just waited until the spring to quietly cut her or her money under the normally used excuse of "not meeting expectations" she may not have thought twice about that. UCONN has to be pretty pi$$ed at him right now.

Comment

Any lawyers that have read the links willing to comment on the cases?
                              I haven't read it all, but as a state entity if UCONN did not treat all similarly situated individuals (offenders) the same, they will have a difficult time defending their actions. I do think there is something to the Andrew's situation since there were many teams coveting her at the time. Why UConn thought they had a chance and allegedly went to such a level to clear scholarship space is intriguing. I'd like to read her deposition transcript if they go in that direction.

Comment

T-S discussed MA and her transfer at length over 38 pages in 2015.

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showth...drews+transfer

It wasn't a secret that she was considering UConn as it was close to home, she played summer league nearby, and had friends on the team. Imagine the BC uproar had that happened and the Hush Puppies were final 4 this year rather than USC....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X