Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    When you say generally, do you mean like 50%, 60% or say 75%, because I can assure you, the leagues do not get it right as much as they should because there's too much politicking and back door deals being made, not to mention that coaches pick their favorites and if you know anything about soccer, you will know that this is true. It's shameful and nothing good ever comes out of it. I guess this is the place to vent because it's not going to change any time soon.
    I tell people it's politics too when I don't want to get in a lengthy conversation about their less than athletic offspring.

Comment

I tell people it's politics too when I don't want to get in a lengthy conversation about their less than athletic offspring.
      So true. Not all HS's do the National Honor Society thing, but many of the boys on the list made it or are high honors students (GPAs are not published but the coaches are asked about them by the Globe and Herald). It's not all politics. It's just that many driven and successful soccer players also happen to be driven and successful students. Recognized soccer players (All-League, All State, All New England) and good students. If your kid missed out, maybe they're only half the package.

Comment

What a stand up coach you must be. You give the good coaches a bad name.

Comment

I'd venture that the globe has never seen any of these players play. Too much influence in too few people. When they claim the list is picked by "globe staffers" it strains credibility.
          The Globe hasn't been credible for a long, long time.

Comment

The Globe hasn't been credible for a long, long time.
            As opposed to you, who've seen all these players in action and know their GPAs. You just know your son or daughter is better than they are...allows you to feel good about yourself while you belittle their accomplishments.

Comment

As opposed to you, who've seen all these players in action and know their GPAs. You just know your son or daughter is better than they are...allows you to feel good about yourself while you belittle their accomplishments.
              I'm not belittling anyone, just the formerly mighty Globe. The list will be the all New England's and a couple from the state cup winners, ragardless of GPA. Do you work for the Globe?

Comment

I'm not belittling anyone, just the formerly mighty Globe. The list will be the all New England's and a couple from the state cup winners, ragardless of GPA. Do you work for the Globe?
                It's been the same formula for the past 10 years, at least.

Comment

No. I just wonder how you know the Globe is wrong. Have you seen them all play, or even most of them, and know their GPAs are only moderate? The Herald list looks reasonable...who's there that shouldn't be?

Comment

...it's crushing for a deserving player...
                    Those words reveal a lot. Nice to know you care, Dad.

Comment

No. I just wonder how you know the Globe is wrong. Have you seen them all play, or even most of them, and know their GPAs are only moderate? The Herald list looks reasonable...who's there that shouldn't be?
                      I never stated that the Globe is wrong, I just said stated what they do. Personally, I'd give more deference to players on teams that make deep runs but I suspect that the Globe staff is limited at best and they have hardly seen many of these players so they have to rely on the coaches association.

Since most are seniors, I'm familiar with almost all of the AA, NE and most of the All state selections after 10 years of town, club, districts and club and there are no real head scratchers to me. You can argue the NE and AA all you want but I'm sure all were voted best in their league. It is what it is.

Comment

I never stated that the Globe is wrong, I just said stated what they do. Personally, I'd give more deference to players on teams that make deep runs but I suspect that the Globe staff is limited at best and they have hardly seen many of these players so they have to rely on the coaches association.

Since most are seniors, I'm familiar with almost all of the AA, NE and most of the All state selections after 10 years of town, club, districts and club and there are no real head scratchers to me. You can argue the NE and AA all you want but I'm sure all were voted best in their league. It is what it is.
                        Two AA from the same division in their league. Both imo are very good players. But only one AA that hasn't won multiple state championships or one for that matter. Special players raise their game when it counts the most two of the three have one should have to prove it rather than having the right friends on the committee.

Comment

Two AA from the same division in their league. Both imo are very good players. But only one AA that hasn't won multiple state championships or one for that matter. Special players raise their game when it counts the most two of the three have one should have to prove it rather than having the right friends on the committee.
                          Why the hair across your @ss? The one AA who's not won a State Championship, did a ton to get her team to a Championship and 2 regional finals. She's also accomplished a lot on the club front.

How about a simple "hats off"?!

Comment

How often does anyone read the globe?

Comment

And one shouldn't get it after all the voting was done just because Mommy,Daddy and Coach threw such an embarrassing tantrum.

Comment

incredible if true.

what lessons do we teach if we parents pitch a fit every time our kids don't get their way? besides the fact it is in insult to other deserving players that received an award or also were snubbed.

my kids have occasionally been deserving, worthy, and not recognized. i have always told them to keep their mouths shut and hold their heads up regardless of the outcome. not always easy, especially an incident when the entire school body, except my kid, booed a coaches clearly inferior pick. but it didn't change the dedication, hard work and success required to play at a high level. those are the lessons i want to emphasize, not the attaboys after

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X