Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Whichever one my kid ends up playing in next year.

In all seriousness, thank goodness we have one more season of the List antics to distract us from the cluster-f heading our way for these 12/13 year olds.
    Are most 2004 kids still playing on 2003 teams or has separation occurred after age change? Our teams chose to play entire teams up and keep the teams together...just wondering about others.

Comment

Are most 2004 kids still playing on 2003 teams or has separation occurred after age change? Our teams chose to play entire teams up and keep the teams together...just wondering about others.
      I know Stars and NEFC have 04's playing U13.

Comment

For the most part I think the teams have settled into age appropriate teams. Only smaller clubs would have mixed teams. Some studs may play up in larger clubs.

Comment

Our small club has them separated out by birth year. Very different teams this year.

Comment

The GU13 MARCH Pre-Season Tournament Preview & Ranking - We're Back Baby!!!

After a few months of our 2004/GU13 players and teams participating in a myriad of different "off-season" activities (some soccer related and many not) ... including futsal, indoor soccer, basketball, skiing, track & field, etc as well as watching the biggest and best sports comeback in history, in this year's Superbowl, we are now only days away from our first official outdoor soccer action of Spring Season! (aka: This Time It Counts!)

Although I usually do a weekly breakdown and List, I am not ashamed to admit that I am am still in my off-season form, and I just need to ease into the daunting task, and time suck of weekly previews and Lists. Consider this post as my dynamic warm-up for the Spring Season sprint ... or you could just call me lazy. I am also being lazy.

So lets take a look at where we left off at our final Fall 04 List ranking:

1. FC Stars Pre-ECNL
            2. NEFC/Breakers NPL
            3a. GPS NPL
            3b. FC Boston Pre-ECNL
            5. SSS AP
            6. {OPEN}

This will be our starting point for our Spring List, which will be updated at the end of the month. And if you want to review how we got here, scroll back a few pages and read all about it. Not going to rehash the past. as we're on to Cincinnati. Oooh speaking of the Pats... how about that SuperBowl!?!?! Ok, ok, sorry it was just sooooo good. Anyway, moving on ...

So we've all likely heard the news about what will be happening at the top of the Youth Soccer Pyramid starting next year with the GDA, ECNL and NPL. Its more than likely that ONCE AGAIN all of these teams rosters will look quite different come next fall, and even the ole 04 List might be in a pickle considering how hard it could be to compare teams across these 3 leagues that will rarely if ever play each other. But IT IS WHAT IT IS, and its time for this year's teams to DO THEIR JOB. And time for me to do mine...Grab your gloves and parkas folks, its time for some March soccer...

GPS MARCH MADNESS TOURNAMENT (3/4-3/5)

D1
            SSS AP vs CFC North Orange
            SSS AP vs Bayside NPL
            SSS AP vs GPS ME Pheonix

GPS NPL vs Bruno FC
            GPS NPL vs FC Stars Central United
            GPS NPL vs Liverpool Elite

We kick off our spring run, with two List teams in action in this tournament, and both are favorites on paper to win out their brackets and meet up in the finals. CAVEAT FOR ALL PRE-SEASON TOURNAMENTS: This is pre-season, and we know there are a lot of variables going into these early spring tournaments. Sometimes rosters are tweaked, conditioning might be lagging, there can be missing players, weather can suck etc etc. Upsets are common, and the 04 List will weight all March tournaments accordingly. As far as possible upsets, I see Liverpool and GPS ME as possible spoilers here, but if I had to put money on the line, I'd go with GPS NPL vs SSS AP in the finals. And who are we kidding, it would a great way to kick off the Spring 04 season, especially with SSS looking for revenge for their fall loss to GPS. Lets make this happen girls.

NORTHEAST NPL LEAGUE PLAY (3/11-3/12)

FC Stars and FC Boston swap games vs CFC and FSA - Northeast NPL kicks off (too?) early by hosting their CT counterparts in the middle of the month. Both of these teams beat CFC and FSA in the beginning of the year, and I expect them to have the edge again during this weekend of play. All caveats listed about early spring anomalies are in play here, but I expect both Stars and FCB to come out of their first league weekend with 2 wins.

NEFC PRE-SEASON TOURNAMENT (3/18-3/19)

D1
            NEFC/Breakers NPL vs Greater Binghamton Select
            NEFC/Breakers NPL vs Vaughan Azzurri OPDL
            NEFC/Breakers NPL vs Valeo FC

No other of our List teams participating here, and NEFC looks to be the favorite to take the top division of their own tournament. The NY and Canadian team are a bit of unknown entities, but I expect to see the NEFC NPL team get through to the finals, where they will favored again. This is their only "pre-season" tournament, so I'm sure they'd like to start out strong, considering how they left things with that debacle back at the GPS Thanksgiving tournament.

JEFFERSON CUP (3/18 - 3/19)

D2
            FC Stars vs Sting Dallas (Diaz)
            FC Stars vs Michigan Jaguars
            FC Stars vs Brentwood FC

D3
            SSS AP vs Greensboro United
            SSS AP vs MCClean ECNL
            SSS AP vs Sting Dallas (Gutierrez)

D4
            GPS NPL vs BSA Ohio Celtic
            GPS NPL vs CFC South Pre-ECNL
            GPS NPL vs Wilmington Hammerhead

D5
            FC Boston vs Richmond United ECNL
            FC Boston vs Minnesota Thunder
            FC Boston vs East Meadow NPL

We have 4 of our 5 LIST teams in action down at Jeff Cup at the end of the month, and is anyone else confused by these division placements as I am??? I would have expected FC Stars in the top division, but considering they lost to both the Northeast NPL teams that got placed there above them, I guess I can understand dropping them to D2. However, putting FC Boston all the way down in the 5th division seems very odd to me. Even CFC gets higher placement. Perhaps that poor showing at the GPS Thanksgiving tournament hurt their standing more than we know, or maybe Jeff Cup schedule makers know something we don't. Regardless, pressure is on to win this bracket, or it won't look good ... and the List will take note! The first official List will be published following this tournament at the end of the month, but after that, I promise NO DAYS OFF! NO DAYS OFF! NO DAYS OFF ....

Game results ... and freezing March weather ... moves the List!

...NO DAYS OFF! NO DAYS OFF!..NO DAYS OFF! NO DAYS OFF!..NO DAYS OFF! NO DAYS OFF!..NO DAYS OFF! NO DAYS OFF!

Comment

Welcome back List Guy! Good to have you back for spring silliness. Good luck to all the List teams and see ya on the pitch!

Comment

The GU13 MARCH Pre-Season Tournament Preview & Ranking - We're Back Baby!!!

After a few months of our 2004/GU13 players and teams participating in a myriad of different "off-season" activities (some soccer related and many not) ... including futsal, indoor soccer, basketball, skiing, track & field, etc as well as watching the biggest and best sports comeback in history, in this year's Superbowl, we are now only days away from our first official outdoor soccer action of Spring Season! (aka: This Time It Counts!)

Although I usually do a weekly breakdown and List, I am not ashamed to admit that I am am still in my off-season form, and I just need to ease into the daunting task, and time suck of weekly previews and Lists. Consider this post as my dynamic warm-up for the Spring Season sprint ... or you could just call me lazy. I am also being lazy.

So lets take a look at where we left off at our final Fall 04 List ranking:

1. FC Stars Pre-ECNL
                2. NEFC/Breakers NPL
                3a. GPS NPL
                3b. FC Boston Pre-ECNL
                5. SSS AP
                6. {OPEN}

This will be our starting point for our Spring List, which will be updated at the end of the month. And if you want to review how we got here, scroll back a few pages and read all about it. Not going to rehash the past. as we're on to Cincinnati. Oooh speaking of the Pats... how about that SuperBowl!?!?! Ok, ok, sorry it was just sooooo good. Anyway, moving on ...

So we've all likely heard the news about what will be happening at the top of the Youth Soccer Pyramid starting next year with the GDA, ECNL and NPL. Its more than likely that ONCE AGAIN all of these teams rosters will look quite different come next fall, and even the ole 04 List might be in a pickle considering how hard it could be to compare teams across these 3 leagues that will rarely if ever play each other. But IT IS WHAT IT IS, and its time for this year's teams to DO THEIR JOB. And time for me to do mine...Grab your gloves and parkas folks, its time for some March soccer...

GPS MARCH MADNESS TOURNAMENT (3/4-3/5)

D1
                SSS AP vs CFC North Orange
                SSS AP vs Bayside NPL
                SSS AP vs GPS ME Pheonix

GPS NPL vs Bruno FC
                GPS NPL vs FC Stars Central United
                GPS NPL vs Liverpool Elite

We kick off our spring run, with two List teams in action in this tournament, and both are favorites on paper to win out their brackets and meet up in the finals. CAVEAT FOR ALL PRE-SEASON TOURNAMENTS: This is pre-season, and we know there are a lot of variables going into these early spring tournaments. Sometimes rosters are tweaked, conditioning might be lagging, there can be missing players, weather can suck etc etc. Upsets are common, and the 04 List will weight all March tournaments accordingly. As far as possible upsets, I see Liverpool and GPS ME as possible spoilers here, but if I had to put money on the line, I'd go with GPS NPL vs SSS AP in the finals. And who are we kidding, it would a great way to kick off the Spring 04 season, especially with SSS looking for revenge for their fall loss to GPS. Lets make this happen girls.

NORTHEAST NPL LEAGUE PLAY (3/11-3/12)

FC Stars and FC Boston swap games vs CFC and FSA - Northeast NPL kicks off (too?) early by hosting their CT counterparts in the middle of the month. Both of these teams beat CFC and FSA in the beginning of the year, and I expect them to have the edge again during this weekend of play. All caveats listed about early spring anomalies are in play here, but I expect both Stars and FCB to come out of their first league weekend with 2 wins.

NEFC PRE-SEASON TOURNAMENT (3/18-3/19)

D1
                NEFC/Breakers NPL vs Greater Binghamton Select
                NEFC/Breakers NPL vs Vaughan Azzurri OPDL
                NEFC/Breakers NPL vs Valeo FC

No other of our List teams participating here, and NEFC looks to be the favorite to take the top division of their own tournament. The NY and Canadian team are a bit of unknown entities, but I expect to see the NEFC NPL team get through to the finals, where they will favored again. This is their only "pre-season" tournament, so I'm sure they'd like to start out strong, considering how they left things with that debacle back at the GPS Thanksgiving tournament.

JEFFERSON CUP (3/18 - 3/19)

D2
                FC Stars vs Sting Dallas (Diaz)
                FC Stars vs Michigan Jaguars
                FC Stars vs Brentwood FC

D3
                SSS AP vs Greensboro United
                SSS AP vs MCClean ECNL
                SSS AP vs Sting Dallas (Gutierrez)

D4
                GPS NPL vs BSA Ohio Celtic
                GPS NPL vs CFC South Pre-ECNL
                GPS NPL vs Wilmington Hammerhead

D5
                FC Boston vs Richmond United ECNL
                FC Boston vs Minnesota Thunder
                FC Boston vs East Meadow NPL

We have 4 of our 5 LIST teams in action down at Jeff Cup at the end of the month, and is anyone else confused by these division placements as I am??? I would have expected FC Stars in the top division, but considering they lost to both the Northeast NPL teams that got placed there above them, I guess I can understand dropping them to D2. However, putting FC Boston all the way down in the 5th division seems very odd to me. Even CFC gets higher placement. Perhaps that poor showing at the GPS Thanksgiving tournament hurt their standing more than we know, or maybe Jeff Cup schedule makers know something we don't. Regardless, pressure is on to win this bracket, or it won't look good ... and the List will take note! The first official List will be published following this tournament at the end of the month, but after that, I promise NO DAYS OFF! NO DAYS OFF! NO DAYS OFF ....

Game results ... and freezing March weather ... moves the List!

...NO DAYS OFF! NO DAYS OFF!..NO DAYS OFF! NO DAYS OFF!..NO DAYS OFF! NO DAYS OFF!..NO DAYS OFF! NO DAYS OFF!

As an FCB parent, I really wish our team had just stayed local and played in the NEFC tournament. There is no need to be traveling to Virginia for a preseason tournament, especially to play in the fifth division.

Comment

As an FCB parent, I really wish our team had just stayed local and played in the NEFC tournament. There is no need to be traveling to Virginia for a preseason tournament, especially to play in the fifth division.
                  Ah yes. But there is little about ENCL travel or or high end youth sports travel that falls in the "need" category.

Comment

Ah yes. But there is little about ENCL travel or or high end youth sports travel that falls in the "need" category.
                    That's often true, but you know that going in. If you don't want the travel, best to drop your kids out of most high level sports.

Comment

That's often true, but you know that going in. If you don't want the travel, best to drop your kids out of most high level sports.
                      Completely agree. It is frustrating to have a strong player that can play at a high level of competition and no really great local league to play in and be challenged But oh well. Tried playing up - that works ok but a very strong player might have to go up two age groups which in not ideal. Trying all this travel - works well but is a big time and money sucker. Arghhh.

Comment

Completely agree. It is frustrating to have a strong player that can play at a high level of competition and no really great local league to play in and be challenged But oh well. Tried playing up - that works ok but a very strong player might have to go up two age groups which in not ideal. Trying all this travel - works well but is a big time and money sucker. Arghhh.
                        Your kid must be amazing!

Comment

I have been thinking of using ankle weights on my kid to slow her down. I have to do something to make it challenging.

Comment

Knew that was coming. Oh well. Just wish the local leagues were stronger. I am not completely alone in this.

Comment

Knew that was coming. Oh well. Just wish the local leagues were stronger. I am not completely alone in this.
                              All the parents in these leagues have strong players. Most of them I have come across so far complain about the travel. But they did decide to the team so they travel and complain and travel and complain. Probably the same on all these types of teams.

Comment

Bundle up, GPS tournament-goers. Friday and Saturday cancelled.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X