ODP 2001 Girls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picks were made today? Anyone know the results?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Picks were made today? Anyone know the results?
      The best talentws selected

Comment

If your child was chosen today, what does that mean, and what is the next step?

Comment

How many were selected from the first regional trials?

Those selected, congrats. Those not "yet" selected, learn from this past weekend and come back stronger.

Comment

My family left the "trials" with conflicting thoughts. We felt that it was a sham. We agreed that our daughter should not have been selected because she was not one of the stronger players. That much can not be argued. We have a better idea of where her skill level is versus the other 38 girls that were there.

And that in itself is confusing. Why was there only 39 girls at a state level tryout? Yes, they explained that there were and are going to be other tryouts, but only 39 girls come to this event. If you factor all the '01 girls playing soccer in our state and we only get 39 to come to an open event, what are the odds of the best players being there?

The biggest shock was that there was three girls (not from the loco area) that truly shined. My wife and I asked around to find out who these girls were and were they were from but didn't really ever find out. Several (at least 5 other parents) thought these three girls would make the cut. None of them made the cut.

My daughter wasn't good enough, those three kids were better and each of them could comfortably play both from an offensive or defensive position.

We just don't believe the tryouts was held to select the best talent. There is a sense that having the tryout was a formality so that FYSA could say... "We held a tryout."

Comment

How was turn out this past weekend for the 2001 girls in Ft. Myers?

Comment

My wife and I left the Ft. Myers 02 Girls tryout feeling that the Florida ODP process might be a sham.

First, my daughter was not selected, as she should not have been. My daughter looked to be one of the middle of the pack players. She was not one of the best and was not one of the worst. We did see some areas of her game that she needs to improve. (better first touch so that she could get the ball off her feet and to another player sooner and being able to play multiple positions) and to be honest we went to the tryouts just so that we could gauge her against "the best" players in the state.

We were really amazed that there was only 38 to 39 girls at this "open" state tryout. When you start looking at the statistics... how many 2001 girls in the state are playing club soccer and that it was an open event there should have been a lot more players there. Yes, I know that there will be other events but under 40 girls makes me think that it isn't a good sampling of the state's talent pool.

What really surprised both my wife and I was the omission of three girls that really stood out. One was a tall fast winger that was aggressive with passing accuracy over 20 yards, and deadly crosses. Another girl was playing the ball of her head better that any kid out there, played three different positions (Defender, Midfield and Winger) without missing a beat, and scored a ton of goals. And the last girl I thought was a sure pick was a physical midfielder that controlled the tempo of the game by keeping possession and distributing the ball forward without making many tactical errors.

We were sure that at least 2 of the 3 girls would make the cut. None made it.

My wife, originally from Guatemala, also pointed out that there was no other kids of color. How is that possible in south Florida?

So when we put all these things together, we question the legitimacy of the FL ODP process.

Comment

Originally posted by DoUowe View Post
                  My wife and I left the Ft. Myers 02 Girls tryout feeling that the Florida ODP process might be a sham.

First, my daughter was not selected, as she should not have been. My daughter looked to be one of the middle of the pack players. She was not one of the best and was not one of the worst. We did see some areas of her game that she needs to improve. (better first touch so that she could get the ball off her feet and to another player sooner and being able to play multiple positions) and to be honest we went to the tryouts just so that we could gauge her against "the best" players in the state.

We were really amazed that there was only 38 to 39 girls at this "open" state tryout. When you start looking at the statistics... how many 2001 girls in the state are playing club soccer and that it was an open event there should have been a lot more players there. Yes, I know that there will be other events but under 40 girls makes me think that it isn't a good sampling of the state's talent pool.

What really surprised both my wife and I was the omission of three girls that really stood out. One was a tall fast winger that was aggressive with passing accuracy over 20 yards, and deadly crosses. Another girl was playing the ball of her head better that any kid out there, played three different positions (Defender, Midfield and Winger) without missing a beat, and scored a ton of goals. And the last girl I thought was a sure pick was a physical midfielder that controlled the tempo of the game by keeping possession and distributing the ball forward without making many tactical errors.

We were sure that at least 2 of the 3 girls would make the cut. None made it.

My wife, originally from Guatemala, also pointed out that there was no other kids of color. How is that possible in south Florida?

So when we put all these things together, we question the legitimacy of the FL ODP process.
                  For 2002 players, there is no selection. They are just receiving training and a first hand look at how trials are. Her trials will be next fall along with the other 2002 players (if ODP plans to keep same method).

Comment

My mistake. My daughter is an '01. I should have typed:
                    "My wife and I left the Ft. Myers 01 Girls tryout feeling that the Florida ODP process might be a sham."

Comment

Originally posted by DoUowe View Post
                      My mistake. My daughter is an '01. I should have typed:
                      "My wife and I left the Ft. Myers 01 Girls tryout feeling that the Florida ODP process might be a sham."
                      Are you sure you brought the right daughter home? Funny how you don't even know the birth year of your own daughter! You are a sham!

Comment

That was 1 of 4 regions so 40ish is a decent amount. I'm sure they have a max of the amount of players they could select after each region trial. This allows adequate room for other players from other Training Centers.

How many players were selected last weekend? Wish you daughter the best moving forward at other ODP events.

Comment

Who's going to Auburndale this weekend? Ready to kick some ??

Comment

Turn out today at Auburndale was 45-50 girls including keepers. There were a few players that stood out.

Comment

Turn out today at Auburndale was 45-50 girls including keepers. There were a few players that stood out.
                              My daughter was one of them. ��

Comment

My daughter was one of them. ��
                                If they heard nothing today they didn't make it, right?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X