X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 Try Outs best options

Looking at clubs in Tampa area....
    Seems that every club has some Daddy Coaches, why is that?

Ok

Parent coaches are ok if the parent has a solid background in soccer. Should be licensed. The smaller (cheaper) clubs will have more, nothing wrong there, keeping costs down.

As the kids get older the parent coach is a challenge. Also the kid of the parent should be one of the top players. At some point the kid will appreciate not being coached by the parent

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Parent coaches are ok if the parent has a solid background in soccer. Should be licensed. The smaller (cheaper) clubs will have more, nothing wrong there, keeping costs down.

As the kids get older the parent coach is a challenge. Also the kid of the parent should be one of the top players. At some point the kid will appreciate not being coached by the parent
      Why should the kid of the parent coach be one of the top players?

Comment

Why should the kid of the parent coach be one of the top players?
        the kid of the parent coach should not be on the same team as team dad / mom is coaching. best for kid and team all the way around. only ok with rec, otherwise, move the kid somewhere else. best for everyone. kid of coach doesn't have to be the best, he may understand the best, but may not have physical ability to do it. don't be idiot.

Comment

Parent

Parent coach equals playing time for their kid, special consideration.

Comment

Parent coach equals playing time for their kid, special consideration.
            No daddy coaches should be at the competitive or academy level.

Comment

No daddy coaches should be at the competitive or academy level.
              What happens when the coaches's son is the best player on the team?.

Comment

What happens when the coaches's son is the best player on the team?.
                MAJOR problems regardless of the skill level of the player.

*Appearance (real or not) that the focus of the coach is development of his child over development of the entire team.

*Appearance (real or not) that the coaches child gets play in a position or for a duration that is meant to make him/her the star. ESPECIALLY if the player is talented, it is a DISSERVICE for daddy to coach as it inevitably detracts from the efforts and talent of the player.

*It is humanely impossible for a coach to remain objective when their child is a member of the team he coaches.

*Finally, as a young man reaches puberty and begins to develop a sense of who he is, he will not want to be coached and corrected by his dad. It is unhealthy for an adolescent boy playing at a competitive level to be coached by his father, yelled at for his mistakes by his father/coach in front of his peers. It will damage that father/son relationship unnecessarily.

For those reasons, I would NEVER have my son on a team coached by daddy beyond maybe U10/U11.

Comment

Celtic is well known for using Daddy or parent coaches for competitive soccer. A lot of the bottom tier clubs like Celtic use parent coaches due to financial issues.

Comment

Looking at clubs in Tampa area....
                    Seems that every club has some Daddy Coaches, why is that?
                    What are best clubs for tryouts on east coast

Comment

What are best clubs for tryouts on east coast
                      When will the coaching lists be out for next year? Anyone know if TBU/ Clearwater will be making changes ?

Comment

MAJOR problems regardless of the skill level of the player.

*Appearance (real or not) that the focus of the coach is development of his child over development of the entire team.

*Appearance (real or not) that the coaches child gets play in a position or for a duration that is meant to make him/her the star. ESPECIALLY if the player is talented, it is a DISSERVICE for daddy to coach as it inevitably detracts from the efforts and talent of the player.

*It is humanely impossible for a coach to remain objective when their child is a member of the team he coaches.

*Finally, as a young man reaches puberty and begins to develop a sense of who he is, he will not want to be coached and corrected by his dad. It is unhealthy for an adolescent boy playing at a competitive level to be coached by his father, yelled at for his mistakes by his father/coach in front of his peers. It will damage that father/son relationship unnecessarily.

For those reasons, I would NEVER have my son on a team coached by daddy beyond maybe U10/U11.
                        A lot of absolutes in your post. We're you coached by your parent? Did you coach your kid? Have you studied or interviewed coaches or parents that did so? Seriously, just asking.

When you speak of "appearance", you admit that problems may be real or not. Appearance to who? Parents? Isn't that their problem to deal with? Especially since they too may very well have a bias towards their kid? The players? Could be. But won't they always have to learn how to navigate real life situations where bosses, coaches or even parents show favoritism to other people? "Appearsance" is a reactionary term that is misty based on an individual's own bias, knowledge and lack of knowledge. This the term "appearance" rather than "fact".to say something "appears" to be is acknowledging the fact that it may not be that way.

My father coached me in baseball on and off through my childhood. I was usually one of the top three kids, if not the best, on the team. (Of course that depended on what position you were talking about. Lol). So I am very familiar with your concept of appearance. You see, my dad was meticulous about equal playing time. But every season, there was always one parent that came to bitch about his kids playing time. (Ironically enough those parents never had a concern about bitching to my dad right in front of me. Says a lot about their character as adults.). But I didn't mind. I enjoyed it. Because my dad would pull out his stat book and show them how their boy played as much as anyone else. That is how, as a young kid, I learned about appearances and biases that parents perceive. Ironically, those parents without fail, learned about about it in that same moment. And that was a more valuable lesson for me as a young kid... To watch adults listen, learn and then apologize for their mistake. I was the only kid on the team to learn at an early age that it is OK to be wrong and apologize. The only kid on the team to see at an early age that even adults make mistakes and can learn from them. As a coach's kid, I also learned that there are different sides to everything. When I played high school ball, I was teased by the rest of the team for helping the coach pick up gear after practice even though we weren't asked to. I learned what a coach actually goes through, in my case, for free, just to help kids learn a game and learn life lessons

Your, and so many other people's opinions about "daddy coaches" seem to come more from "appearance" rather than fact. That is on you. Not the coach.

Even "daddy coaches" care about all the players. To lump them into one big group and proclaim that they are all bad, or that they shouldn't coach and impart their knowledge to kids just because a few parents may have their own issues with bias and, frankly, selfishness towards their own kids, isn't right. It's insulting to the thousands if not millions of parents that volunteer to help another generation learn the game. Soccer, baseball or whatever.

Humanly impossible to remain objective? Guess my dad was inhuman then. He took the time to learn what made each kid tick. What motivated each kid individually. (Something else I learned being a coach's kid.) For me, the motivation came from making him proud. I understood when he yelled at me it was for a reason. And that made me a better player. Because before every pitch, I was thinking about what I had to do with the ball if it came to me. And my dad understood that for some kids, yelling at them only made it worse. Instead, it would be positive encouragement even after a mistake. If he told ME, "Good try!" After I made a stupid mental error I would have seen right through it. But for the next kid, it would be just what he needed. A "Daddy Coach" is capable of being unbiased. Please don't project your capabilities on to every coach. Just as some coaches make talk in generalities about parents, many if not most parents tend to do the same about coaches.

As for your last statement that adolescent boys don't want to be coached by, yelled at, or whatever by their fathers.... My dad took your advice and decided to turn me over to some stranger. Since I was one of the better players, I received little criticism even when I messed up. Instead I was patted on the back. As an adolescent, I was dumb enough to take thT as I didn't need to get better. Sure, had I been turned over to a better coach it would have worked out. Guessing it was the same for many of the kids in my team at the time.

You, with a very broad stroke, paint every daddy coach as a worse coach. "Appearances" aside, maybe you shouldn't spread your advice to every parent out there that hasn't taken into consideration that some parents can be good coaches. And that some coach's kids are better than most on the team because they have been coached by a good coach their whole lives.

Generalities work great on a message board. They "appear" to be very knowlegable.

They are not.

Comment

When will the coaching lists be out for next year? Anyone know if TBU/ Clearwater will be making changes ?
                          TBU needs to get rid of ER. Maybe they will put JC with that team?

Comment

A lot of absolutes in your post. We're you coached by your parent? Did you coach your kid? Have you studied or interviewed coaches or parents that did so? Seriously, just asking.

When you speak of "appearance", you admit that problems may be real or not. Appearance to who? Parents? Isn't that their problem to deal with? Especially since they too may very well have a bias towards their kid? The players? Could be. But won't they always have to learn how to navigate real life situations where bosses, coaches or even parents show favoritism to other people? "Appearsance" is a reactionary term that is misty based on an individual's own bias, knowledge and lack of knowledge. This the term "appearance" rather than "fact".to say something "appears" to be is acknowledging the fact that it may not be that way.

My father coached me in baseball on and off through my childhood. I was usually one of the top three kids, if not the best, on the team. (Of course that depended on what position you were talking about. Lol). So I am very familiar with your concept of appearance. You see, my dad was meticulous about equal playing time. But every season, there was always one parent that came to bitch about his kids playing time. (Ironically enough those parents never had a concern about bitching to my dad right in front of me. Says a lot about their character as adults.). But I didn't mind. I enjoyed it. Because my dad would pull out his stat book and show them how their boy played as much as anyone else. That is how, as a young kid, I learned about appearances and biases that parents perceive. Ironically, those parents without fail, learned about about it in that same moment. And that was a more valuable lesson for me as a young kid... To watch adults listen, learn and then apologize for their mistake. I was the only kid on the team to learn at an early age that it is OK to be wrong and apologize. The only kid on the team to see at an early age that even adults make mistakes and can learn from them. As a coach's kid, I also learned that there are different sides to everything. When I played high school ball, I was teased by the rest of the team for helping the coach pick up gear after practice even though we weren't asked to. I learned what a coach actually goes through, in my case, for free, just to help kids learn a game and learn life lessons

Your, and so many other people's opinions about "daddy coaches" seem to come more from "appearance" rather than fact. That is on you. Not the coach.

Even "daddy coaches" care about all the players. To lump them into one big group and proclaim that they are all bad, or that they shouldn't coach and impart their knowledge to kids just because a few parents may have their own issues with bias and, frankly, selfishness towards their own kids, isn't right. It's insulting to the thousands if not millions of parents that volunteer to help another generation learn the game. Soccer, baseball or whatever.

Humanly impossible to remain objective? Guess my dad was inhuman then. He took the time to learn what made each kid tick. What motivated each kid individually. (Something else I learned being a coach's kid.) For me, the motivation came from making him proud. I understood when he yelled at me it was for a reason. And that made me a better player. Because before every pitch, I was thinking about what I had to do with the ball if it came to me. And my dad understood that for some kids, yelling at them only made it worse. Instead, it would be positive encouragement even after a mistake. If he told ME, "Good try!" After I made a stupid mental error I would have seen right through it. But for the next kid, it would be just what he needed. A "Daddy Coach" is capable of being unbiased. Please don't project your capabilities on to every coach. Just as some coaches make talk in generalities about parents, many if not most parents tend to do the same about coaches.

As for your last statement that adolescent boys don't want to be coached by, yelled at, or whatever by their fathers.... My dad took your advice and decided to turn me over to some stranger. Since I was one of the better players, I received little criticism even when I messed up. Instead I was patted on the back. As an adolescent, I was dumb enough to take thT as I didn't need to get better. Sure, had I been turned over to a better coach it would have worked out. Guessing it was the same for many of the kids in my team at the time.

You, with a very broad stroke, paint every daddy coach as a worse coach. "Appearances" aside, maybe you shouldn't spread your advice to every parent out there that hasn't taken into consideration that some parents can be good coaches. And that some coach's kids are better than most on the team because they have been coached by a good coach their whole lives.

Generalities work great on a message board. They "appear" to be very knowlegable.

They are not.
                            That other poster was spot on, you are not. every club we've been at had a father coaching his son's team... always there was talk. some teams were successful, others not, but the one common issue that always was there was that the Dad perceived something totally different than the kid and the kid(s) definitely suffered under him. You/Dad/coach just refuse to see it. ego. Of the two dozen kids I've seen coached by their fathers only One played beyond high school. the rest were so burnt out they ran from it by the time they graduated. didn't matter how talented they were.

Comment

TBU needs to get rid of ER. Maybe they will put JC with that team?
                              Whats wrong with ER? Does he demands a lot from the girls? I think JC expects a lot from the girls too.....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X