Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm a parent as well as a coach. Ever think that its the parents who are in the wrong in your equation. One big problem with all organized sports right now is you have waaay too many kids participating that really have no sincere interest in being even a high school level player. Not saying it is the same for all kids but for lots of the kids its nothing more than just another activity and the only reason they are involved with the expensive part of soccer is because their parents follow the crowd. I find it refreshing that some parents are finally pushing back and saying no. Believe it or not its ok for kids who just want to have a little fun to stay with a town type program and then quit when they no longer have the interest to do that.Club soccer should be for the kids that want to eat, sleep and breath it.
    The backlash I referred to by emerging parents is against their parents, not club soccer. Club is there to fill a need. The parents bring the kid and the $$ and develop the market.

Comment

U.S. parents are the problem. Many of you do not listen to your kids. As soon as a coach says I see some potential with your child, your eyes light up and vanity sets in. Then the pushing starts, and money is no problem. Instead of teaching your children the right way to act and play, it's all about why don't you play more like Mia and an entitlement society. "My kid should be on the top team." "I can't believe so and so made it." You talk about their teammates, other families, ingratiate your way in with the coach, and look to buy your kid's future. You support clubs that denigrate your children. No pain no gain, right? If you want to know what's wrong with U.S. soccer, take a good look at yourselves. Over and out.
      Yup, Spot on. And remember, you said "over and out". So we're done here

Comment

So you want to get rid of club soccer and play in parking lots instead? Do you think that will work for a country as large as the US? What other options do you suggest?
        I suggest getting rid of club soccer except for the absolutely dedicated.
        I suggest eliminating all soccer scholarships to college. They serve no purpose other than promoting club ball. They should not be the driving force for kids to play
        I suggest nothing more than town travel ball for the 99.9% that don’t qualify as elite.
        I suggest putting grass over all parking lots-any new pavement should have an equal amount of grass or turf provided, much like the wetland provision in many communities
        I suggest a team in every sizeable town for people to support
        I suggest getting rid of Lalas and every announcer on Fox
        I suggest the elimination of talking-soccer

Comment

I suggest nothing more than town travel ball for the 99.9% that don’t qualify as elite.

I suggest getting rid of Lalas and every announcer on Fox
          I suggest the elimination of talking-soccer
          How is anyone going to become elite if they are in town travel. I think every kid should start out at the club level, with real coaching, then see who becomes elite. By some age, send all those non-elite kids to town travel with volunteer moms and dads and keep the elites on their club path. We'll let you decide who stays and who goes and what age this split occurs. The last two suggestions I like...

Comment

How is anyone going to become elite if they are in town travel. I think every kid should start out at the club level, with real coaching, then see who becomes elite. By some age, send all those non-elite kids to town travel with volunteer moms and dads and keep the elites on their club path. We'll let you decide who stays and who goes and what age this split occurs. The last two suggestions I like...
            Sure let's put it in the hands of expensive club coaches, half of whom are barely licensed or have any business working with children. Pay three times as much too. Great plan.

Comment

ignorance is bliss

The answer is not to get rid of club soccer, it's to get rid of the bloated costs:

Paid Coaches
              Paid Coaching Directors
              Paid Executives
              Paid League Directors
              Paid Association Staff

In other countries, there are:

Local unorganized games (free)
              Year round school games (free)
              'Club' teams (nominal cost, often subsidized by sponsorship and fundraising)
              League/District Select Teams (equivalent to ID2/ODP, free)
              Professional Youth Teams (free to player, at lower levels coaches and staff are still volunteer, at higher levels they are funded by the professional club)
              Can't make this fake news up.
              Spoken by someone who hasn't heard of AJAX, Santos, Barca youth academies.

Comment

Anyone who uses "other countries" as rational basis for an argument about soccer in the US is irrational

Comment

Anyone who uses "other countries" as rational basis for an argument about soccer in the US is irrational
                  Unless you are arguing why the US will not produce an international championship team. If you only care about domestic soccer then no need to discuss global soccer.

Comment

We are not Europe or Central or South America. We don't have the culture, the club infrastructure, the coaching, the density of players or teams, the same level of pro club-funding to go towards identification and development of talent. We do have a lot of athletes, some highly talented players, a lot of money. Maybe it's time we stop trying to copy everyone else and figure out ways to work with what WE have?

Comment

We are not Europe or Central or South America. We don't have the culture, the club infrastructure, the coaching, the density of players or teams, the same level of pro club-funding to go towards identification and development of talent. We do have a lot of athletes, some highly talented players, a lot of money. Maybe it's time we stop trying to copy everyone else and figure out ways to work with what WE have?
                      Big fast players and send the ball long.
                      It works, but it’s not stylish.

Comment

Maybe it's time we stop trying to copy everyone else and figure out ways to work with what WE have?
                        The problem is that USA soccer has been working with what WE have, and it hasn't been producing results.

Comment

Unless you are arguing why the US will not produce an international championship team. If you only care about domestic soccer then no need to discuss global soccer.
                          No one is arguing - we don't care!
                          You keep trying to start "soccer culture" arguments, and TS sighs. Global soccer, Domestic soccer - not interested. TS is for Power Ranking local girls teams

Comment

No one is arguing - we don't care!
                            You keep trying to start "soccer culture" arguments, and TS sighs. Global soccer, Domestic soccer - not interested. TS is for Power Ranking local girls teams
                            Correct. Soccer in the US is daycare. Also a place to have fun and be active. Most watching the World Cup have moved here recently from other countries where they care. Stop telling us our kids might be the next Pele. Then everybody can relax.
                            In another few decades, we’ll wise up and realize that the more violent sports we enjoy watching like American football, hockey, and lacrosse are harmful to our kids. We’re fine for now.

Comment

Big fast players and send the ball long.
                              It works, but it’s not stylish.
                              Sounds like France. I had hoped the more stylish Croatians might win, but too many mistakes. Bad for soccer IMO.

Comment

Correct. Soccer in the US is daycare. Also a place to have fun and be active. Most watching the World Cup have moved here recently from other countries where they care. Stop telling us our kids might be the next Pele. Then everybody can relax.
                                In another few decades, we’ll wise up and realize that the more violent sports we enjoy watching like American football, hockey, and lacrosse are harmful to our kids. We’re fine for now.
                                Because no one ever gets hurt playing soccer, got it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X