Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touches in games vs practice

Is it better to have more game day playing time on a team with bad players or less playing time on a team with good players? I know many would say it's all about the touches so playing more is better. However, I feel games are just a way for players to apply what they learned in practice. In addition, a child touches the ball more in practice than in games. If a child is practicing with players with very poor skills, there is no improvement, even if he plays a whole game, whereas on a team with good players, he can constantly improve his skills with and against quality players. Your opinion?

What are you taking about?

Rambling

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Rambling
      Not sure, do you know?

Comment

My kid had a similar conversation with her future college coach. He said in a year you might play a couple of dozen games versus hundreds of hours of training. She decided to switch to a top club so she could play with and against top talent even if it meant less game playtime. She is very competitive and is okay with competing for playtime, but less confident kids might struggle a bit with this.

Comment

Depends on the end goal of the player. For almost all kids, its whatever they enjoy the most.

Comment

Is it better to have more game day playing time on a team with bad players or less playing time on a team with good players? I know many would say it's all about the touches so playing more is better. However, I feel games are just a way for players to apply what they learned in practice. In addition, a child touches the ball more in practice than in games. If a child is practicing with players with very poor skills, there is no improvement, even if he plays a whole game, whereas on a team with good players, he can constantly improve his skills with and against quality players. Your opinion?
            Why can't there be a happy middle? How about a slightly lower ranked team with some good players and good training so they get good training and starting time? Or are you more worried about the club name and the difference between A and B?

Always follow the better training, if your kid doesn't start see if they can work time in on the 2nd team or another team in a different league.

Comment

My kid had a similar conversation with her future college coach. He said in a year you might play a couple of dozen games versus hundreds of hours of training. She decided to switch to a top club so she could play with and against top talent even if it meant less game playtime. She is very competitive and is okay with competing for playtime, but less confident kids might struggle a bit with this.
              Smart because the level of play is so much higher in college. Even if she isn't playing as much she's still training with and against much stronger players. That will better prepare her for next year.

For younger players it's different though - there has to be a balance with practicing and playing time, especially before U15. PT doesn't have to be equal but it needs to be meaningful. You won't learn nearly as much sitting on the bench. Practicing will only get you so far.

Comment

Quality touches in a game are key, soccer is a team sport therefore good plays and meaningful touches will only happen around great players. I'd sacrifice training and playing time with a top team rather than have my kid start and play every game with a low performing team. Kicking and running doesn't help a kick develp their IQ and overall ability.

Comment

this thread is an eye opener. the process a parent follows should be led by the player and what they are trying to achieve. without knowing that how do you give advice?

Comment

this thread is an eye opener. the process a parent follows should be led by the player and what they are trying to achieve. without knowing that how do you give advice?
                    Hey, if your kid is happy being a star on a lower level team, have it. Some kids want to push themselves and get better. Many have aspirations to play in college. Even if that might not be realistic for all, playing a ton against poor competition won't help them get there.

Comment

Hey, if your kid is happy being a star on a lower level team, have it. Some kids want to push themselves and get better. Many have aspirations to play in college. Even if that might not be realistic for all, playing a ton against poor competition won't help them get there.
                      the youth soccer industry has conned parent into thinking this way. Talent and drive determine levels. playing in College covers a huge range of abilities. There is a ton of poor competition in College because soccer ability is not the determining factor. Its one of many.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X