Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Over the past couple of years, I've noticed more and more club teams carrying only one gk. I started asking why. Is it because, of the amount of clubs/teams, or individual club/coaches decision. I was surprised to find the answer was playing time concerns, and concerns over how time was split. I can understand why parents may choose a team that carries only one, with the amount parents dish out now a day. I started thinking what do these coaches do if the keeper goes down. Bring the 2nd team GK up, or just insert a field player? Why are GK's today not embracing the competition, that comes with carrying 2, and is it helping or hurting in the development of GK's?
    I think carrying only 1 keeper has to due with a lack of keepers too, especially on the girls side. At my D's club the number of keeper's teams carry differs from age group to age group based on the talent available. I agree that having only 1 keeper on a team is asking for trouble, but there aren't always enough keepers of the appropriate ability to have 2 per team.

As for the competition, our club fosters that through multi-age training groups based on ability for the keepers. While there may not always be direct competition there are always other keepers around pushing my D to better herself.

Comment

What club offers all of that GK coaching? Our club (GPS) doesn't offer that. They only offer one training session a week.
      With all of their resources GPS only offers 1 keeper training session per week to their top keepers??

Comment

Good feedback! I have a hard time with the recruiting thing. GK's are recruited differently than out field. Relationships with coaches/club, and word of mouth are the driving force with most. I also think most GK's would be better served in a club pass system. Best of both worlds. I know that one club now has a depth chart for each age group, and review it 3-4 times a year. #1 is the top teams gk, 2 is the 2nd team gk, 3 is the 3rd, and so on. The 3rd carries 2, and if the 1st/2nd gk goes down they move up. The 4th-? teams can carry 2 if they would like. The GK's are offered up to 4 training sessions a week, and the GK coach goes to the games to warm up and I'm sure to evaluate. Been told that this club also offers special topic sessions for GKs a few times a year. Is this enough, too much, still not enough? Are other clubs doing this or something similar? how much input into GK selection, should the GK coach have, if any?
        I'm guessing that kind of training is for keepers on top teams at the big clubs. There aren't many (if any) clubs that have enough keeper coaches to offer that kind of training to all keepers and to attend all games on the weekend.

4 keeper trainings sounds like a bit much, especially when you take into account that most keepers are also attending at least 2 team trainings/wk too.

Comment

With all of their resources GPS only offers 1 keeper training session per week to their top keepers??
          They have 4 or 5 regions and offer 1 U9 to U11 and 1 U12 to U14 session a week for each region.

I suppose you can attend each region/session and that would equal 4-5 sessions a week. But they are all over the state from Taunton to Acton to Lancaster to Woburn. And each session would be with a different coach.

My son is U11. I don't know if they offer more beyond that for the older kids or regional NPL teams. And I don't believe keeper coaches go to games as they also coach their own teams.

I looked into NEFC and I think they also offer one session a week. Fridays in Marlboro and possibly somewhere else.

I don't know what Stars offers.

Comment

I'm guessing that kind of training is for keepers on top teams at the big clubs. There aren't many (if any) clubs that have enough keeper coaches to offer that kind of training to all keepers and to attend all games on the weekend.

4 keeper trainings sounds like a bit much, especially when you take into account that most keepers are also attending at least 2 team trainings/wk too.
            You need to have a centralized system to make it work, not GK coaches going all over the place. Often there are team conflicts but my GK is supposed to prioritize GK over team unless the team coaches tells him to come. So it's usually 2 GK and 2 team/week.

Also, a GK coach doesn't need to watch every game - feedback from just a few games can be very helpful. Team coaches not only don't have the position expertise but are busy during games themselves.

Comment

I think carrying only 1 keeper has to due with a lack of keepers too, especially on the girls side. At my D's club the number of keeper's teams carry differs from age group to age group based on the talent available. I agree that having only 1 keeper on a team is asking for trouble, but there aren't always enough keepers of the appropriate ability to have 2 per team.

As for the competition, our club fosters that through multi-age training groups based on ability for the keepers. While there may not always be direct competition there are always other keepers around pushing my D to better herself.
              I never see more than one keeper on girls teams, only on boys. I know when I was involved with town travel they were all but begging girls to play in the net.

Comment

4 training sessions a week are offered to the keepers, they are required to attend 1 session. Most will attend 2. It's not one of the big 4-5 clubs, but not a mom and pop either. There is just one GK coach/ director, and he has a young coach that helps him, or will fill in when he is away with college team. He sent a schedule for the fall, with the GK topic for each week. He attends home games on Sunday to evaluate, and help with feedback, advice, warm up. The club does exist. I don't know why that is hard to believe?

Comment

4 training sessions a week are offered to the keepers, they are required to attend 1 session. Most will attend 2. It's not one of the big 4-5 clubs, but not a mom and pop either. There is just one GK coach/ director, and he has a young coach that helps him, or will fill in when he is away with college team. He sent a schedule for the fall, with the GK topic for each week. He attends home games on Sunday to evaluate, and help with feedback, advice, warm up. The club does exist. I don't know why that is hard to believe?
                  Defensive much?? I interpreted your original post to mean that keepers were attending 4 sessions a week, not that those were the total sessions offered, and responded as such. My bad.

So how does he know who is coming to which training? Are sessions offered by ability level or is it just one session per day for whoever shows up? Not being sassy, just wondering how it works at your club.

Comment

They have 4 or 5 regions and offer 1 U9 to U11 and 1 U12 to U14 session a week for each region.

I suppose you can attend each region/session and that would equal 4-5 sessions a week. But they are all over the state from Taunton to Acton to Lancaster to Woburn. And each session would be with a different coach.

My son is U11. I don't know if they offer more beyond that for the older kids or regional NPL teams. And I don't believe keeper coaches go to games as they also coach their own teams.

I looked into NEFC and I think they also offer one session a week. Fridays in Marlboro and possibly somewhere else.

I don't know what Stars offers.
                    Stars has a different model with small, set groups training 2x per week. The groups are divided girl/boy and ability, not just age, is taken into account. GK coaches also attend some team and functional trainings. GK Coach rotates through teams on game days, although I would guess the top teams get more attention.

Comment

NEFC offers Monday nights in Taunton, Thursday in Marlboro for top team only GK'S, Friday night Marlboro and Saturday evening in Holliston, I'm sure Metro North and South Coast offers some too but never looked into it.

Comment

Stars has a different model with small, set groups training 2x per week. The groups are divided girl/boy and ability, not just age, is taken into account. GK coaches also attend some team and functional trainings. GK Coach rotates through teams on game days, although I would guess the top teams get more attention.
                        Thanks for sharing. Intetesting model.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X