Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 or 2 GK's per team?

Over the past couple of years, I've noticed more and more club teams carrying only one gk. I started asking why. Is it because, of the amount of clubs/teams, or individual club/coaches decision. I was surprised to find the answer was playing time concerns, and concerns over how time was split. I can understand why parents may choose a team that carries only one, with the amount parents dish out now a day. I started thinking what do these coaches do if the keeper goes down. Bring the 2nd team GK up, or just insert a field player? Why are GK's today not embracing the competition, that comes with carrying 2, and is it helping or hurting in the development of GK's?

I'd think having too many enthusiastic, quality GKs is a problem any club, team and coach would like to have and too few do.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Over the past couple of years, I've noticed more and more club teams carrying only one gk. I started asking why. Is it because, of the amount of clubs/teams, or individual club/coaches decision. I was surprised to find the answer was playing time concerns, and concerns over how time was split. I can understand why parents may choose a team that carries only one, with the amount parents dish out now a day. I started thinking what do these coaches do if the keeper goes down. Bring the 2nd team GK up, or just insert a field player? Why are GK's today not embracing the competition, that comes with carrying 2, and is it helping or hurting in the development of GK's?
      Good question. I think with the club pass system, it's easy to bring up the team 2 GK. However, if the keeper goes down in the game you are screwed, esp. at the higher levels. From a parents' perspective, I think that given the cost of club soccer these days you really do not want your kid splitting time. I'm not a GK parent, but I would think it is harder for them to be scouted as there are some games where they may be challenged very little so you want to maximize exposure.

Comment

As a coach I prefer to have two keepers on my team. It fosters a good competitive relationship between the two keepers. Every other postional player has somebody pushing them to be better why not the keeper position. It you explain to the parents at tryouts how this is going to work the keepers should be ok with this situation.

Comment

Good feedback! I have a hard time with the recruiting thing. GK's are recruited differently than out field. Relationships with coaches/club, and word of mouth are the driving force with most. I also think most GK's would be better served in a club pass system. Best of both worlds. I know that one club now has a depth chart for each age group, and review it 3-4 times a year. #1 is the top teams gk, 2 is the 2nd team gk, 3 is the 3rd, and so on. The 3rd carries 2, and if the 1st/2nd gk goes down they move up. The 4th-? teams can carry 2 if they would like. The GK's are offered up to 4 training sessions a week, and the GK coach goes to the games to warm up and I'm sure to evaluate. Been told that this club also offers special topic sessions for GKs a few times a year. Is this enough, too much, still not enough? Are other clubs doing this or something similar? how much input into GK selection, should the GK coach have, if any?

Comment

Good feedback! I have a hard time with the recruiting thing. GK's are recruited differently than out field. Relationships with coaches/club, and word of mouth are the driving force with most. I also think most GK's would be better served in a club pass system. Best of both worlds. I know that one club now has a depth chart for each age group, and review it 3-4 times a year. #1 is the top teams gk, 2 is the 2nd team gk, 3 is the 3rd, and so on. The 3rd carries 2, and if the 1st/2nd gk goes down they move up. The 4th-? teams can carry 2 if they would like. The GK's are offered up to 4 training sessions a week, and the GK coach goes to the games to warm up and I'm sure to evaluate. Been told that this club also offers special topic sessions for GKs a few times a year. Is this enough, too much, still not enough? Are other clubs doing this or something similar? how much input into GK selection, should the GK coach have, if any?
            What club offers all of that GK coaching? Our club (GPS) doesn't offer that. They only offer one training session a week.

Comment

GK parent here. My son is a U13 keeper on his club's top team and for some reason the club/coach has had two keepers on the team for a couple years now. Up until this year, they had split time. My son was able to play in the field, but the other keeper could not. Going into this year my son told the coach he wanted to play full time and so now he is except when they're up by a few goals. However, the coach never told the other goalie or his parents his intention of him primarily being on the team in case of injury. Now they're upset. The second team already has a goalie so he can't move down and get much playing time there either. It's a mess. Coaches just need to be upfront at tryouts, unfortunately they often do what's best for the team instead of what's best for the individual players. Pass carding is definitely the best way to go if possible.

Comment

GK parent here. My son is a U13 keeper on his club's top team and for some reason the club/coach has had two keepers on the team for a couple years now. Up until this year, they had split time. My son was able to play in the field, but the other keeper could not. Going into this year my son told the coach he wanted to play full time and so now he is except when they're up by a few goals. However, the coach never told the other goalie or his parents his intention of him primarily being on the team in case of injury. Now they're upset. The second team already has a goalie so he can't move down and get much playing time there either. It's a mess. Coaches just need to be upfront at tryouts, unfortunately they often do what's best for the team instead of what's best for the individual players. Pass carding is definitely the best way to go if possible.
                So does this kid never get to play? Even on the field?

That's ridiculous and I definitely wouldn't stand for that. There are enough clubs/teams that I'm sure he could find a place somewhere else.

I would personally have my eye on that coach. What happens if a better keeper comes along at tryouts?

Comment

Everyone plays goal.

Comment

Everyone plays goal.
                    You're either joking or you're talking about u-little

Comment

My son is the keeper for the U12 Valeo team and I attribute his advanced awareness and technically sound mechanics to specializing early and being the only keeper on the team.

Comment

Completely unfair of the coach to switch gears from what had been done in the past and give no warning. The other parents should complain to the DOC on that one. And as the parent of the one playing should be worried about your kids' position next year - if someone better comes along your kid will be sitting next year.

As for what is the best route - having raised two keepers if you can find a club that 1) plays both keepers equally (at least up until U14 - this is about development not about turning it into a bitter rivalry), 2) has training 2+x/week 3) GK trainer observes a few games and gives GK feedback. A club that is really committed to development will do something along those lines.

Personally I think it's crazy to only have one on a roster - not only is there the injury risk or occasional conflict, but the sole GK can easily leave as well - then what? I know for one of my kids a few years back they wanted to go down to one to free up another roster spot, but all the keepers (parents) raised a stink about it and they never did it.

Comment

There are some clubs that do that up until around U12. The advantages are 1) you never know who might be good at it 2) avoids younger players getting pigeon holed early on because they were the only one to volunteer 3) teaches all players the basics of the position so they aren't afraid of it and can fill in when needed 4) gives other players an appreciation of the how hard the position can be sometimes

Comment

What club offers all of that GK coaching? Our club (GPS) doesn't offer that. They only offer one training session a week.
                            You are clueless or a troll or hate to drive or all 3.

Comment

You are clueless or a troll or hate to drive or all 3.
                              Are you a GPS parent?

Kinda hard to make keeper training when it's scheduled during team training......and only 1 session per region.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X