Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this just show how weak HS soccer is?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this just show how weak HS soccer is?

This is a NY HS story, but it has me wondering about the quality of HS girls soccer now...in her 1st 2 years Brittany LaPlant has scored 147 goals, and last year set the NYS single season record with 73 goals. If she stayed at that pace, she could break the national record of 286, set 22 years ago. LaPlant is committed to Rutgers, and I'm sure she's a great player, but 70-something goals per season in HS soccer, thats ridiculous right? Has the competition in become this week in northeast HS soccer?

heres the link to the full story...http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/high-...story_aid34134

pardon my grammar at the end there...last sentence should say

Has the competition become this weak in northeast HS soccer?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      pardon my grammar at the end there...last sentence should say

Has the competition become this weak in northeast HS soccer?
      My sense is she plays in a very weak league in upstate NY. Check out some of the scores for the small town schools of western Mass and you will see high totals as well. Not to diminish her success at all but those gaudy stats (ave. 4 goals per game) would not carry over in more populous regions.

Comment

My sense is she plays in a very weak league in upstate NY. Check out some of the scores for the small town schools of western Mass and you will see high totals as well. Not to diminish her success at all but those gaudy stats (ave. 4 goals per game) would not carry over in more populous regions.
        I've heard of a similar issue in remote parts of Northern New England, where a single skilled player can score on every possession, and is only limited by the willingness of the coach to run up the score. All it takes is a skilled kid with size and speed going against whatever kids a small rural school can scrape together, and you'll get crazy numbers like that. If the kid from upstate NY was playing in the Bay State League, Mid-Wach, or Dual County leagues, she'd be defended by other D1 prospects that would limit her to a goal or two per week.

Comment

I've heard of a similar issue in remote parts of Northern New England, where a single skilled player can score on every possession, and is only limited by the willingness of the coach to run up the score. All it takes is a skilled kid with size and speed going against whatever kids a small rural school can scrape together, and you'll get crazy numbers like that. If the kid from upstate NY was playing in the Bay State League, Mid-Wach, or Dual County leagues, she'd be defended by other D1 prospects that would limit her to a goal or two per week.
          One or both of the Mewises (not just d1, but national framers) scored about 2 per week, and in less competitive leagues than those you mention. So you're about right, and that was pretty recent. No need to extrapolate an event in one locality beyond its specific circumstances.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X