10 keys to evaluate a coach

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generic, my trainings are very far from generic. I also do not coach U11. I coach U16 Boys. Are you that moronic that you think I would do this type of training for U11. U11 training would look much different if I coached that age group.

U11 Training
    10 minute warm up. Usually just have the kids knock it around doing 1 or 2 touch or dribbling at different speeds performing different moves. Get them moving and touching the ball.
    20 minutes - 1st activity - AST, passing and receiving, shooting (technical work)
    20 minutes - 2nd activity - Small sided game - non-directional or direction depending on topic
    20 minutes - 3rd activity - Small sided game - direction
    20 play - half field 6v6
    5 cool down - juggling

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      besides the warm up and cool down the rest is as generic as you can get.
      Training needs to be adjusted to been age appropriatte.
      You can't have functional training (especially tactical one) with U-11 players or phase training for that matter.
      It is a constant problem with coaches not adjusting to the requirments of age appropriate training guidelines. Revise this and hopefully it will work. Good luck.
      You have just exposed yourself for the idiot that you are. You want to sound like you know what the coach was talking about but clearly you missed the part about "functional training" Do you even know what that is? The coach seems to have a "keep it simple" approach and you know, that really does work.

Comment

Generic, my trainings are very far from generic. I also do not coach U11. I coach U16 Boys. Are you that moronic that you think I would do this type of training for U11. U11 training would look much different if I coached that age group.

U11 Training
        10 minute warm up. Usually just have the kids knock it around doing 1 or 2 touch or dribbling at different speeds performing different moves. Get them moving and touching the ball.
        20 minutes - 1st activity - AST, passing and receiving, shooting (technical work)
        20 minutes - 2nd activity - Small sided game - non-directional or direction depending on topic
        20 minutes - 3rd activity - Small sided game - direction
        20 play - half field 6v6
        5 cool down - juggling
        I was been nice and wished you good luck. The only thing I said is to adjust training to age appropriate. Maybe you do not train U-11 boys that way but many coaches would.
        The fact that you got offended and piped up with another training outline shows the ignorance/arrogance you exhibited very quickly.

As far as your new outline for U-11 boys that will not work either very well.
        Too generic again and not specific to one skill for the duration of the session. Second and third activity need to be specific to passing receiving and directional play or non directional play should not be part of it.
        Stop reading **** on line and come watch.

Comment

You have just exposed yourself for the idiot that you are. You want to sound like you know what the coach was talking about but clearly you missed the part about "functional training" Do you even know what that is? The coach seems to have a "keep it simple" approach and you know, that really does work.
          Take a comprehension class.

Comment

1. Is this a team of equal playing time or the best players will play?
            Players will play at least half a game if they are in good standing with attendance and give 100% effort in training/games. If not I will talk to the player as to why his playing time was cut for this game.

2. Will you teach my child the skills to improve at this sport?
            I will teach your child the four principles of soccer (technical, tactical, pschological and physical). It is up to them to want to learn and apply the skills to improve and practice on their own.

3. How do you handle disciplinary issues on the team?
            Quickly and firm, fair and consistant. We are a team first and foremost. Nobody is above the team including myself.

4. What experience do you have with coaching in general? What experiences do you have coaching this age, gender, sport, or competitive level?
            NSCAA Advance National Diploma, USSF B and played D1 college soccer. Been coaching U13 to U18 for 10 years. Have won many tournaments and leagues.

5. Do you have a child on the team? How will that affect my child?
            No, will never coach my child at this level but I do have a child in the club and my team comes first and my child does not get special treatment for team placement. He is on the 2nd team at a different age group in our club.

6. What is your coaching philosophy?
            To teach players to love the game of soccer. Develop players based on the 4 principles of soccer and winning will take care of itself.

7. How will the coaching staff work together? Is there a head coach? Co-coaching?
            I have an assistant coach and he works with the players not involved in the functional trainings. He is responsible for watching the other team during games to assist me with tactical adjustments. We work together to plan our next training session based on our game performance.

8. How many players would you have on your team in an ideal situation? Is that how many kids are on the team?
            17 to 18 players which include 2 keepers. I do not feel players are able to play 70 to 80 minutes of soccer without a break. It is not how long you are on the field but what you do while on the field.

9. How would you like questions about playing time to be handled?
            If you can talk profession, when ever you want except during the game.

10. When is the best time to talk to you about my child? How would you like to be contacted?
            Not during training or games, you are paying me for a service and I need to be available for you to ask questions. I would prefer that you son talked to me since I coach older players. They need to start taking charge of their life and fight for what they believe. You are always welcome to talk also. I prefer face to face communication. Nothing gets lost in translation an is more personnal.

I am a current club coach, do not ask what club. I do not recruit. I believe my reputation and word of mouth is how I get better players.
            Can you please move to CT? When you do let me know. Kids are lucky to have you.

ECNL parent

Comment

I was been nice and wished you good luck. The only thing I said is to adjust training to age appropriate. Maybe you do not train U-11 boys that way but many coaches would.
              The fact that you got offended and piped up with another training outline shows the ignorance/arrogance you exhibited very quickly.

As far as your new outline for U-11 boys that will not work either very well.
              Too generic again and not specific to one skill for the duration of the session. Second and third activity need to be specific to passing receiving and directional play or non directional play should not be part of it.
              Stop reading **** on line and come watch.
              Different coach. You're clearly not one.

His outline for U11 is generic, but it's also the best practices template from NSCAA and USSF for training in 8v8 model. Wouldn't work very well? Ha. Take that up with the likes of Anson Dorrance et al.

From the technical warm-up, through small-sided play to larger-sided play, you begin with a player and a ball and move to opposed play, and then playing the game. That format holds true regardless of the theme changing one day to the next. The coach could train for pressure, cover and balance using that template one day and support in attack the next. He explained himself perfectly.

Comment

Again, my training session for U11 is not generic. The format might be generic in your mind and you need to do boring static drills that create robotic play to get your point across but you should watch coaches that actually know what they are doing and how to run an efficient training session. Last time I checked you will not find this training session on line. I get to training 15 minutes early to set up my entire training.

Topic for Training is First Touch Away from Pressure

Warm-up
                I would place 2 sets of cones 1 yard apart and have the players pass about 15 yards apart in shuttle lines with 4 to 5 players playing two touch. The player would take their first touch to the left and right of the cone and pass to the next player in line. I would stress good technique of heal down, toe up and ankle locked. Take the touch 1 to 2 yards away at a 45 degree angle outside the cone and be sure to strike the center of the ball to keep it on the ground.

1st Activity
                I would build on the shuttle pass activity and have the passer act as a passive defender running at the player to make it more game like conditions.

2nd Activity
                I would play 4v4 possession in a 30x40 yard area. We would play non-direction. My coaching points would reflect their first touch away from pressure to keep the ball either by dribbling or passing after a good first touch. You would receive 1 point for 5 consecutive first touches away from pressure. Players sitting would work on AST or juggling until their time to play. I would alternate groups of 4 ever 5 minutes.

3rd Activity
                I would play 4v4 to end line in a 30x40 yard area also but I would reward 1 point for dribbling across the end line and 2 points for a pass. Even though the way the players score points changed I would emphasis first touch through out the training. Players sitting would work on AST or juggling until their time to play. I would alternate groups of 4 ever 5 minutes.

6v6 to goals
                I would play 6v6 goals and allow the player to play creative only correcting when they take a poor first touch into pressure. Player rotate every position every 5 minute to include the keeper position. We would play 1-3-1 vs 3-2 or any other 6v6 formation combination to create different angles of play.

Cool down
                Pattern juggling. Create different patterns for the players to juggle.

Comment

Only a troll who hasn't sat through the G course, never mind the Advanced National, would object to how you outlined your training session. Ignore him.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I thought a topic like this would not get trolls and actually be productive but I guess most people cannot help being muppets. Good luck to all and I hope you find a coach that coaches for the right reasons, player development.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I thought a topic like this would not get trolls and actually be productive but I guess most people cannot help being muppets. Good luck to all and I hope you find a coach that coaches for the right reasons, player development.
                      I wish there was a list of such coaches.

So many parents want win results and clubs/coaches cave.

I'd be fine with a loss every game so long as my son was developing appropriately.

Comment

I wish there was a list of such coaches.

So many parents want win results and clubs/coaches cave.

I'd be fine with a loss every game so long as my son was developing appropriately.
                        I have a roster spot for you...

Comment

There is a list...sort of. Just not too much around these parts.

I'd like to see clubs embrace the NSCAA and especially their Club Standards Project. I think most clubs are run by people with big egos and aren't really interested in adhering to standards, processes or a curriculum suggested by a third party, but this case I think it carries credibility and parents would derive some value and peace of mind.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X