Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Region 1 Champions League

Surprised there has not been a discussion of revamped Region 1 League. Any thoughts? As I read it each age group will consist of 3 divisions of 32 teams each, for a total of 96 teams per age group. Will this become the league of choice for the clubs still associated with USYSA - to the detriment of leagues like MAPLE? Perhaps a more worthy option to the US Club/NPL option?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Surprised there has not been a discussion of revamped Region 1 League. Any thoughts? As I read it each age group will consist of 3 divisions of 32 teams each, for a total of 96 teams per age group. Will this become the league of choice for the clubs still associated with USYSA - to the detriment of leagues like MAPLE? Perhaps a more worthy option to the US Club/NPL option?
    A last ditch attempt to save USYSA. Region 1 is essentially dead. US Club Soccer has become the lead US Youth soccer organization and the NPL Championship is where all the prominent clubs will be involved in.

Comment

A last ditch attempt to save USYSA. Region 1 is essentially dead. US Club Soccer has become the lead US Youth soccer organization and the NPL Championship is where all the prominent clubs will be involved in.
      This is all so interesting and politically entertaining, but if I like the training that my child is getting on team X but realize that my child is not going to play professionally, make any national team, nor likely play division 1 soccer, does it really matter which league he/she plays in? This, I suspect, would be the case for at least 96% of all youth players. Our club plays in a competitive league at home, and travels to challenging tournaments outside. What difference does it make if they are NEP, MAPLE, EDP, NPL, NEPL, DAP etc etc etc? These different distinctions are likely important to only a few.

.....unless you wish to educate me otherwise.

Comment

You are correct. A competitive league with practice and games nearby, and maybe a couple New England area tournaments makes sense for 98% of the soccer players. If Region 1 provides this option maybe they will reverse the decline. Gotta admit it is pretty discouraging to travel hours to New York, Vermont, NH, or even Western Ma to play a poor matchup that could just have easily happened 20 minutes away.

Comment

This new structure only waters down the once prestigious Region I Premier League. More teams=less competition. And grouping the teams geographically means our girls will be playing the same teams that they play year in and year out in local leagues and tournaments. Very disappointed. And USYS wonders why people are flocking to U.S. Club Soccer.

Comment

Seems like a REACTIONARY move by USYSA as a way to appease those who went to US Club Soccer. Is the hope to get those clubs back, prevent others from leaving or both?

I find it funny they send out a release and the website has 3/4 "Under Construction".

It just seems that the powers to be at Region 1 were in Cruise Control mode and not looking forward and are now scurrying around trying to fix the things they ignored for years.

Comment

US Club is far from the answer because many believe that all that their country club style of soccer does is create a watered down environment that only serves to increase the cost. The shake up in Region 1 was long over due, hopefully they new regime can put together something that will exert some pressure on the clubs clean up all the insanity.

Comment

None of the insanity will be cleared up until USSF soccer steps in. Too many leagues competing for players. Needs to be stream lined.

Comment

Seems like a REACTIONARY move by USYSA as a way to appease those who went to US Club Soccer. Is the hope to get those clubs back, prevent others from leaving or both?

I find it funny they send out a release and the website has 3/4 "Under Construction".

It just seems that the powers to be at Region 1 were in Cruise Control mode and not looking forward and are now scurrying around trying to fix the things they ignored for years.
                  Funny that you mentioned that. For years the DOC and coaches complained about stuff like these: Two games on the same day with couple hrs apart, roster freezing with no chance to add even due to injuries, one club manipulating schedules, etc... They used to just brush them off and tell them to get lost or deal with it. Too late USYS, you are dead!

Comment

US Club is far from the answer because many believe that all that their country club style of soccer does is create a watered down environment that only serves to increase the cost. The shake up in Region 1 was long over due, hopefully they new regime can put together something that will exert some pressure on the clubs clean up all the insanity.
                    BTDT, thank you for setting up this thread and your comments so far. The fiction story about your kid who isn't going to play D1 and not knowing anything about the leagues with the invitation to be educated further was genius. Hopefully this thread will ignite and you yet again will be able to get into the nitty-gritty details you are dying to review in case anyone has missed your prior 5000 agenda-dripping seminars.

Comment

I like BTDT and his input based on his experiences

Comment

The bar to creating a better league for players seems pretty low for the ones USCS has set up so far. This is probably a step in the right direction.

The distances travel required, lack of promotion-relegation in these leagues, plus the monotony of playing the same teams every season, year after year, is not a perfect system by any stretch. Seems like this addresses those points. We'll have to see how it goes.

Comment

I like BTDT and his input based on his experiences
                          Sure you do.

Comment

This is all so interesting and politically entertaining, but if I like the training that my child is getting on team X but realize that my child is not going to play professionally, make any national team, nor likely play division 1 soccer, does it really matter which league he/she plays in? This, I suspect, would be the case for at least 96% of all youth players. Our club plays in a competitive league at home, and travels to challenging tournaments outside. What difference does it make if they are NEP, MAPLE, EDP, NPL, NEPL, DAP etc etc etc? These different distinctions are likely important to only a few.

.....unless you wish to educate me otherwise.
                            $$$$$

Comment

Well DAP also but yes USYS is done. On the boys side the top non-DAP teams in R1 are in EDP, this will be long drives against third rate teams. But let's give them some credit. They still send out the email reminders to watch the USYS show!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X