Why Sunday afternoons?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if the thread OP is 100% serious, but if you were I have little sympathy. If you don't look into what is expected of your kids' activities ahead of time you don't get the right to complain about it. If the complaint is about the level of play, next Sunday look around and see if the kids are as miserable as you are. Chances are the kids are happy to be playing and almost all parents are enjoying watching their kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Not sure if the thread OP is 100% serious, but if you were I have little sympathy. If you don't look into what is expected of your kids' activities ahead of time you don't get the right to complain about it. If the complaint is about the level of play, next Sunday look around and see if the kids are as miserable as you are. Chances are the kids are happy to be playing and almost all parents are enjoying watching their kids.
      Love sunday afternoons! finally

Comment

I love having my weekends filled with soccer, and the coming home to watching the Pats on my DVR. I will definitely miss it when it's over. Relax and enjoy your kids.
        Don't worry. When your kids have kids of their own, they will be happy to hand them to you. So your happiness could be endless.

Comment

Good luck getting a field on Saturdays!

Comment

Shooting from the hip??
            The town teams probably offer more per dollar than the club teams do.
            Per dollar. That's the key phrase.

On balance, there's no question about it and I love telling people that. The best of club is better than the best of town, the worst of club is probably better than the very worst of town, but by what margin and what cost?

When average high school teams are cutting kids who've paid thousands to play club soccer for years, and destination clubs are field their E and F teams in tournaments and getting trounced by town teams for a cost of pennies on the dollar, then yes, towns offer more PER DOLLAR than clubs.

People talk about the college loan financial bubble and not everyone needs a 4-year degree and all that debt, and while true, I don't think it's nearly as insane as the pay-to-play youth soccer business.

If half the kids playing club today stopped and just played town, what exactly would be different for them next weekend or in 5 years...other than having more free time and putting less miles on the family SUV?

Comment

Per dollar. That's the key phrase.

On balance, there's no question about it and I love telling people that. The best of club is better than the best of town, the worst of club is probably better than the very worst of town, but by what margin and what cost?

When average high school teams are cutting kids who've paid thousands to play club soccer for years, and destination clubs are field their E and F teams in tournaments and getting trounced by town teams for a cost of pennies on the dollar, then yes, towns offer more PER DOLLAR than clubs.

People talk about the college loan financial bubble and not everyone needs a 4-year degree and all that debt, and while true, I don't think it's nearly as insane as the pay-to-play youth soccer business.

If half the kids playing club today stopped and just played town, what exactly would be different for them next weekend or in 5 years...other than having more free time and putting less miles on the family SUV?
              I think you are nuts, it is just the opposite. Town players very rarely make the HS team over Club A level players.

Comment

I think you are nuts, it is just the opposite. Town players very rarely make the HS team over Club A level players.
                No kidding.
                The post is referencing the lower level club teams and the money spent to play in relationship to town programs.
                Capisce?

Comment

No kidding.
                  The post is referencing the lower level club teams and the money spent to play in relationship to town programs.
                  Capisce?
                  My kids have played both town and club. Town is just fun for them. Not super serious soccer, but a chance for them to play with their friends. Club is clearly the more serious soccer, but it's great that town is on Saturday and Maple is on Sunday. It gives them the opportunity to do both. Region 1 throws a bit of a wrinkle into it, but oh well. The more soccer the better. To the OP, you probably should have done your homework first before allowing your kid to play in Maple if Sunday afternoons were more important for you own personal time.

Comment

No kidding.
                    Capisce?
                    Not for nothing, but there a lot of kids on those lower level club teams that play neither town nor HS. I know of 2 from my town who do this. Their kids love to play but are not that skilled and those lower level club teams fill that void. From small towns to big high schools, there is always a numbers game at play. It's tough to be judgmental or at least it is for me.

Comment

Not for nothing, but there a lot of kids on those lower level club teams that play neither town nor HS. I know of 2 from my town who do this. Their kids love to play but are not that skilled and those lower level club teams fill that void. From small towns to big high schools, there is always a numbers game at play. It's tough to be judgmental or at least it is for me.
                      Amen. I'm so sick of people on this site who denigrate others (and their kids) for playing on the town team or playing for this or that club. I'm fortunate that my kids are fairly skilled players and are able to play at the higher level, but they have many friends that just love to play soccer and the town team or the lower level club team affords them that opportunity. For those of us that truly love soccer and what team sports can do for all of the kids, there are so many great opportunities out there now that weren't available when I was growing up. Please stop all of the bashing. Does it really make you feel that good about yourself? (directed at all of the nasty posters out there and not the one above)

Comment

Amen. I'm so sick of people on this site who denigrate others (and their kids) for playing on the town team or playing for this or that club. I'm fortunate that my kids are fairly skilled players and are able to play at the higher level, but they have many friends that just love to play soccer and the town team or the lower level club team affords them that opportunity. For those of us that truly love soccer and what team sports can do for all of the kids, there are so many great opportunities out there now that weren't available when I was growing up. Please stop all of the bashing. Does it really make you feel that good about yourself? (directed at all of the nasty posters out there and not the one above)

I agree completely!! One of my daughters isn't as skilled as my others at soccer but wanted to play more than just town in the fall. Town travel in fall/spring filled the void perfectly and allows her to pursue softball, which is her first love.

Comment

No kidding.
                          Capisce?
                          Evidently not.

I went out of my way to be as clear and precise as possible. And not to my surprise, some nitwit would reply "But club players are better than town..." as if that's the argument being made.

Let's try this for our struggling soccer parent: if you haven't heard, give it time, you will -- kids who have played club soccer for years, parents playing thousands of dollars are, in greater numbers, NOT making their high school teams. Do more club players make those teams relative to strictly town players? Of course, but that's not relevant in assessing the value. For more and more parents, they clearly don't recognize the value proposition...yet. They will.

Comment

Evidently not.

I went out of my way to be as clear and precise as possible. And not to my surprise, some nitwit would reply "But club players are better than town..." as if that's the argument being made.

Let's try this for our struggling soccer parent: if you haven't heard, give it time, you will -- kids who have played club soccer for years, parents playing thousands of dollars are, in greater numbers, NOT making their high school teams. Do more club players make those teams relative to strictly town players? Of course, but that's not relevant in assessing the value. For more and more parents, they clearly don't recognize the value proposition...yet. They will.
                            2 questions.
                            Who is making these teams?
                            And the reason club players are not making the teams, according to your premise, is that they are such low level quality, that the clubs just sign them to make money, right?

Comment

2 questions.
                              Who is making these teams?
                              And the reason club players are not making the teams, according to your premise, is that they are such low level quality, that the clubs just sign them to make money, right?
                              Not the OP but I will say I've seen plenty of crest-fallen parents who think little Johnny will make varsity his freshman year because he played on the C-level team "We're Happy to Cash Your Check Club", Branch #29. A truly good player is probably playing at a good club and will make HS. They might not make varsity right away but that's ok. They'll definitely be there by year 2, if not brought up earlier because of injuries. Beyond that, don't be surprised if travel players make it over low-level club players. It can and does happen.

Comment

No kidding.
                                Capisce?
                                [tu] capisci is what you should use [you understand]

capisce is the 3rd person [he she/she understands]

In many dialects the pronunciation is similar (dropping the i "ee" sound) and yes it's a common error of Americans.

Any less gifted kid who applies themselves at club even on a lower level team will be better than the similarly athletically challenged town player. It's a fact, better training is never a waste and people have the right to spend their money as they please so get off the feckin soapbox.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X