•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From yesterday's Soccer America Youth Soccer Insider

Wilson Egidio's New York City Success Story

Interview by Mike Woitalla

When Manhattan SC PSG won the U-17 national title in July it became the first New York City team to win a US Youth Soccer National Championship since 1985 and only the fifth since 1936. Coach Wilson Egidio left his native Brazil for New York in 1980 to play in the old American Soccer League and has coached City College of New York, high school and youth club ball, and has served as an ODP coach. Egidio, who coached this Manhattan SC PSG boys since U-10, explains how his team reflects the city that spawned it and how he got it to play the kind of soccer he enjoys.

What do you enjoy most about coaching?
    WILSON EGIDIO: I like seeing them develop from Day 1 to when they’re ready to go off to college.

I really enjoy watching a diverse group like we have interacting. We’ve got nine nationalities – immigrants from Latin America, Africa ... Half our the players are “scholarship” kids. We’ve got Upper West Side private school kids and kids who are fresh to the United States who need $2.50 to get on the train and money for winter clothing. It’s a pleasure watching them play soccer they way like to see it.

I am grateful to the team and parents for trusting me, my style of coaching and game philosophy for all these years.

What kind of soccer do you like to see?
    I’m Brazilian, so possession, of course. Playing out of the back, creative soccer, improvising, being confident in taking players on one-on-one.

How do you coach players to play like that?
    A lot of small-sided stuff, futsal. We have a long winter in New York so we play a lot of futsal in the gym. With futsal, the heavy ball encourages them to keep it on the ground. Playing in a small area forces them to make quick decisions all the time. It similar to how I learned to play on the streets in Brazil.

And I have taken these boys to Brazil to train at clubs like Santos FC, Vitoria EC in Salvador and my hometown of Belo Horizonte with Cruzeiro FC.

Manhattan SC PSG: U-17 Don Greer Cup winners.

How much can you “teach” skills?
    I like small-sided scrimmaging. I’m not very good at describing to a kid how to strike a ball -- where to hit the ball, how to move the shoulder. But I think when you put young players in situations where they’re getting lots of touches, they learn how to do it by trying it over and over.

What’s a key quality you look for in players?
    I think a key to spotting talent is finding players who have good vision. Again, I don’t think that’s something you can teach. You can create an environment where they experiment a lot and hope that they figure out how to read the game.

Do your players play outside of practice?
    They’re soccer junkies. Always juggling. Walking to school bouncing, kicking the ball.

What’s something you’ve seen coaches do that you avoid?
    Negativity. I don’t think that works with players. I try to be positive all the time. I am vocal from the sidelines, but in an encouraging and positive way.

What’s a mistake do you see from coaches at the youngest ages?
    Yelling at the kids to pass, pass, pass. You hear it from parents on the sideline, too. Young players need to try and dribble.

If I get an older player who always wants to dribble, it’s not that difficult to encourage or teach him to pass. But it’s impossible to teach a player to become a good dribbler who didn’t have a chance to dribble lots when he was young.

Manhattan SC PSG coach Wilson Egidio.

What did you think of the USA’s performance at the 2014 World Cup?
    I think it was a positive, coming out of a difficult group, but they didn’t play a style I particularly like. We play strong defense, are hard-working. I root for them but I don’t particularly enjoy the style of play.

If you had a magic wand, how would you use it to improve American youth soccer?
    I think we need to find more of a mix -- blending traditional American qualities with flair, skill and confidence to take players on. I see Coach Tab Ramos' U-20 national team going in the direction, but I still think that in general we need to get farther away from the typical college and high school game that’s so much about strength and speed.

Comment

Check this out...

=====
      Hi everyone

Currently players from Seacoast United are being contacted regarding Futsal
      over the winter months from organizations not affiliated with Seacoast United; I
      want to make it clear to everyone that this is not an endorsed product from
      Seacoast United. At Barcelona young players at U12 have to choose whether they
      are going to play Futsal or real soccer, this is because the real game is
      totally different to Futsal.

Last year as a club we entered some of our teams into this Futsal league and
      came up with some interesting findings. I recorded games that our teams
      participated in and found that the ball was out of bounds for half of the game
      time, players were shooting using their toe to help generate power rather than
      using the correct technique, GK were throwing the ball long and forward most of
      the time due to the rules preventing back passes to them which is something
      Seacoast United and US soccer encourage to help keep possession.
      Side line balls were scooped into the air towards goal creating 50/50
      challenges in the air instead of passing into a team mates feet, the reason for
      this is the focus from the teams playing was all about winning which at this age
      works against development.

I personally coach some of these games and witnessed coaches screaming at
      players instead of encouraging them, on top of this the travel involved and cost
      for the program was something I was not happy with.
      Attached is a sample of one of the videos that was taken to highlight my
      concerns.

To give seacoast United players a better environment for developing over the
      winter myself, Peter Decker, Chris Scott, Ian Burgess and US Soccer Development
      Academy coaches will be conducting regular sessions (details to be released) at
      the Rim facility based at Hampton, these sessions will be more specific to
      development and still provide the player with the opportunity to play Futsal.

My recommendation to all players at Seacoast United is to wait for the details
      of our program and not to accept invitations that are being targeted at our
      players.

Iain Scott

Director of Soccer Operations
      Seacoast United
      PO BOX 779
      Hampton, NH 03843

Comment

Taking the email posted at face value, what I find a little comical is that the concerns, rightfully noted, regarding the futsal experience (which are pinned on the opponents, right?) implies these same concerns aren't at least as pervasive in every environment of youth soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Check this out...

=====
          Hi everyone

over the winter months from organizations not affiliated with Seacoast United; I

this is the focus from the teams playing was all about winning which at this age

players instead of encouraging them, on top of this the travel involved and cost
          concerns.

players.

Iain Scott

Seacoast United
          PO BOX 779
          Hampton, NH 03843
          Very odd, I suspect that there is more to this. The best team at Northeast regions were the u14 Samba Boys from NH. Fantastic footwork, very quick, disciplined, extremely well coached and fun to watch, futsal the right way unlike SU apparently. Some were from GPS though no official affiliation. Seacoast would be very lucky to have any of these boys. Perhaps a preemptive move to make sure players don't go with Samba. Choose us or Samba, not both.

Comment

Check this out...

=====
            Hi everyone

concerns.

players.

Iain Scott

Seacoast United
            PO BOX 779
            Hampton, NH 03843
            "Don't give your money to anyone else but us"

Comment

"Don't give your money to anyone else but us"
              You beat me to it!

Comment

Check this out...

=====
                Hi everyone

concerns.

players.

Iain Scott

Seacoast United
                PO BOX 779
                Hampton, NH 03843
                Where's the video?

Comment

Check this out...

=====
                  Hi everyone

concerns.

players.

Iain Scott

Seacoast United
                  PO BOX 779
                  Hampton, NH 03843
                  1998 World Cup in France. The most exciting player and fourth leading scorer, Ronaldo, scored all four of his goals using his toe. It doesn't matter if the ball is "improperly" toed in, bicycled or licked across the line by his tongue as long as the goal is scored. A toe shot is a quick, effective and surprising shot to use on unsuspecting goalkeepers. US soccer , DAP and Fifa all encourage players to play Futsal in the winter months. Would love to see your video.

Comment

Futsal was recently added to the Spanish Youth Soccer Curriculum. They may be on to something.

Comment

Yeah, but did the SC kids like playing futsal? In a straw poll I suspect it could run very close.
                      Some players do not like the small space and being forced into quick decisions.
                      I doubt the "bad habits" stick and filter into the big field. Having too many players on a squad is the worst mistake, 7-8 players insures a great cardio workout and provides enough touches to go around.

For players that enjoy the game it's a win. If players don't find the game exciting and enjoyable it's a mistake to make them play. It should be an optional activity without penalty for not participating. Likewise denying players who do like Futal is short sighted at best and bigoted at worsed.

I have encountered more British Isle types pooh-poohing Futsal, where as coaches from countries who place well in the FIFA Futsal World Cup are more positive.

Comment

One thing to consider folks... Unlike Spain, or Brazil... we have.... WINTER... It's miserable here for a solid 4 months. Futsol develops bad habits?? Really... Well so do Cheetos and Sprite and watching TV, LOL... Indoor nice but there are only so many fields available and Futsol is only alternative for lots of our kids.

Ideally if Winter ended in Mass there would be no need for Futsal. However since that ain't happening it really is the next best thing. Bad habits?? That sounds convenient way to knock the sport but don't believe it for a minute.

The only thing I will say is that being a good Futsal team doesn't guarantee that you'll be a good soccer team. However if you stink at Futsal than there may be no hope for ya :)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X