Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You saw the part about being U9 and taking a knee (for what I'm assuming was a minute, not a half hour), right? Let me guess, you think if they static stretch instead of dynamic stretch...or not stretch at all...before the game, it makes a difference...

And the "antiquated" taking a knee wasn't done for the purpose of resting, was it? It was my impression that this was done as a sign of sportsmanship for young kids in a non-competitive playing environment. Just like everyone claps when the injured player gets up, etc. Which is why you see kids huddle during an injury in a competitive environment, right? It's got nothing to do with a belief about resting, fitness, etc.

So I'd say the initial comment is fitting. I've seen some of those LFC parents of the younger teams. Intense...as if Gerrard was out there or there kid is the next Gerrard...instead of just an 8 year old learning to play a game.
    Ok I never said anything about not teaching sportsmanship. Of course you can teach sportsmanship. What is antiquated is the way we do it, and yes taking a knee is an antiquated way... And yes, stopping and kneeling for even a minute is not good for anyone in that circumstances, even 9 year olds. Standing in a huddle and clapping when the injured player is taken off is an absolutely appropriate way to show sportsmanship.

And as I said before, I agree the rest of it sounds obnoxious and grating, and just another example of parents needing to check themselves before they wreck themselves. LOL!

Comment

Watched a coach yelling and/or being critical from warmup to parking lot in a win by 8 goals in a U11 girls game. For all the philosophical talk about quality and development, let's face it, the vast majority of adults are full of ****.

Watching the unabated kick and chase was actually surprising to me because I know the coach from years at District Select and coaching older ages. At some point I really expected to see some restriction by the coach on the players to make it more competitive and challenging (for example, complete a pass before shooting, maybe even two).

But as surprising as that was, hearing him bark critical comments after the game about aggressiveness and speed was just odd. They weren't lacking. Not a peep about what they could've done better though.

Comment

I've never seen a U-little get a cramp or pull a muscle in 15 years because of something they did or didn't do. Like sitting too much or not stretching at all. I've seen them not drink enough water, eat too many oranges, or collide with other kids. That's about it.

I'm pretty certain that taking a knee is physically immaterial to an 9 year old, whether it may or may not be to someone a few years older or not. But yeah, that's the sort of thing some parents obsess about.

Comment

Who cares if they take a knee. It's up to the coach whether they do or not. Stay out of it.

Comment

Side note:

The 400lb guy from Liverpool was sitting in a chair at the time of screaming about the cramping.

The cramping wasn't the only thing he yelled that was just the cherry on top.

But the thing that absolutely slayed me was the intensity of these 3 dads over a meaningless game of 7 and 8 year old on a Sunday morning on a "soccer field" in Sutton MA.

I put soccer field in quotes because I drove by larger meadows on the way to the Field of Dreams soccer field in the woods.

But hey who knows maybe Barca had some scouts there for the Liverpool kids.

Comment

please do and post on You Tube. Let us know when.
              I think if a lot of us start recording the "Soccer Dads Gone Wild" incidences and post them here, there will be less of them.

Comment

Side note:

The 400lb guy from Liverpool was sitting in a chair at the time of screaming about the cramping.

The cramping wasn't the only thing he yelled that was just the cherry on top.

But the thing that absolutely slayed me was the intensity of these 3 dads over a meaningless game of 7 and 8 year old on a Sunday morning on a "soccer field" in Sutton MA.

I put soccer field in quotes because I drove by larger meadows on the way to the Field of Dreams soccer field in the woods.

But hey who knows maybe Barca had some scouts there for the Liverpool kids.
                Ummm, U9 teams? LFSC playing game at a soccer field in Sutton on a Sunday? First, LFSC have U10 teams and up playing on Sundays. Second, they don't play their home games in Sutton. Third, none of their U10 teams played in Sutton last weekend. You can confirm this by going to MAPLE's site.

Now, the Fuller Hamlets play their home games in Sutton . . .

Comment

Ummm, U9 teams? LFSC playing game at a soccer field in Sutton on a Sunday? First, LFSC have U10 teams and up playing on Sundays. Second, they don't play their home games in Sutton. Third, none of their U10 teams played in Sutton last weekend. You can confirm this by going to MAPLE's site.

I love when uninformed people speak up.

Comment

Have you tried clicking on the Maple U9 link know-it-all?

http://games.maplesoccer.com/index.cfm/section/191/

Comment

Have you tried clicking on the Maple U9 link know-it-all?

http://games.maplesoccer.com/index.cfm/section/191/
                      Nothing on that link. And according to Maple there are no U9 Boys teams this fall? So who is the know-it-all again?

Comment

Nothing on that link. And according to Maple there are no U9 Boys teams this fall? So who is the know-it-all again?
                        Maple has a U9.

http://www.maplesoccer.com/news/u9-program1/

Comment

http://games.maplesoccer.com/index.cfm/club/55/

Check out the second link in the list of seasons for Liverpool.

http://games.maplesoccer.com/index.c...5/?seasonID=35

3 U9 boys teams and 2 U9 girls teams.

Was that so hard to find before you spouted off?

Comment

Crickets from the know-it-all.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X