Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    "...not making their HS varsity" ? Really? Anyone who made a Stars ECNL team would not be too worried about making HS varsity I would think.
    Think again, there was at least one last year on the 15s

Comment

Here's something that's going to sound heretical but this seems like the right forum in which to belch it out. When I watch low level D3 games I think "bad high school soccer". When I watch high level D3 games I think "good high school soccer". When I see mid-level D1 games I think "really good high school soccer". I don't see many high-level D1 games live.

Where am I going with this? I rarely ever see college soccer that is as good as (or even comparable in kind with) quality club soccer. To me, all college soccer seems to have a high school feel about it. Lack of control. Athletes pressed to their physical limits to the detriment of their skills. As a rule, it seems to me that they try to compete on a pace they do not possess. In club soccer, you seem to get players who compete at the pace where they can play skillfully. A massive generalization, to be sure, but this has been my general experience.
      I really like the point being made in this post. The D1 games I see (women's mostly as I have a daughter) are often played quite frenetically, and at the expense of adopting a more measured and technical style that could allow these teams (who as you point out are not unskillful) to take much greater control of their own destiny in the context of a given game. Instead, they tend to crash about and more often than not, the proceedings devolve into an over the top, route 1 type of affair. I don't know if it's the coaching at the college level, the influence of our 'national style' that seems to be dominated by respect for size and speed, or the imperative to "match the intensity" of the team you are facing who is more often than not, bringing that very style to bear against you. Whatever the case, I think you make a great point which those of us supporting our kids participation in club soccer would do well to watch out for.

Comment

I really like the point being made in this post. The D1 games I see (women's mostly as I have a daughter) are often played quite frenetically, and at the expense of adopting a more measured and technical style that could allow these teams (who as you point out are not unskillful) to take much greater control of their own destiny in the context of a given game. Instead, they tend to crash about and more often than not, the proceedings devolve into an over the top, route 1 type of affair. I don't know if it's the coaching at the college level, the influence of our 'national style' that seems to be dominated by respect for size and speed, or the imperative to "match the intensity" of the team you are facing who is more often than not, bringing that very style to bear against you. Whatever the case, I think you make a great point which those of us supporting our kids participation in club soccer would do well to watch out for.
        You may find your kid's college playing experience much closer to what you remember of her high school seasons than her ECNL or NPL seasons. Don't discount high school play as a preparation for college. It won't do anything for her "exposure" but in terms of preparing her for what she's likely to experience in college it may be quite useful. Skipping it would be a mistake even if there were advantages to full-time training with the club.

Comment

You may find your kid's college playing experience much closer to what you remember of her high school seasons than her ECNL or NPL seasons. Don't discount high school play as a preparation for college. It won't do anything for her "exposure" but in terms of preparing her for what she's likely to experience in college it may be quite useful. Skipping it would be a mistake even if there were advantages to full-time training with the club.
          Agreed. I don't buy the "bad habit" argument either. A good player should always be able to adapt to the style of play of the team they are playing for. Every coach has different styles and every player will face that at the next level. And as for the avoid injury argument, I recall an article last year about the top 2017 recruit from PDA who stopped playing HS due to the hacks. While there are plenty of hacks in HS for sure, under that theory a player might as well stop playing altogether once they commit to a high level college program. The risk of injury is always there, it's a physical game.

Comment

Agreed. I don't buy the "bad habit" argument either. A good player should always be able to adapt to the style of play of the team they are playing for. Every coach has different styles and every player will face that at the next level. And as for the avoid injury argument, I recall an article last year about the top 2017 recruit from PDA who stopped playing HS due to the hacks. While there are plenty of hacks in HS for sure, under that theory a player might as well stop playing altogether once they commit to a high level college program. The risk of injury is always there, it's a physical game.
            Yes the risk is always there, but the counter argument is that there are many HS games crammed into a very tight time period, with little to no time to rest in between, thus increasing the risk of injury or making a minor injury worse. I remember a quote from a HS coach in an article discussing the pros and cons of the DAP rule and he said something to the effect "all I can do is bandage them up and send them back out again."

I also don't buy the bad habit argument - we're talking three months of HS play tops - and that it is good to figure out different styles of play, coaching styles, etc. My HS now-junior had a rude awakening starting HS after years of high level club play. But it has made him a better player. The value of playing for his school and with his friends is worth its weight in gold.

Comment

"...not making their HS varsity" ? Really? Anyone who made a Stars ECNL team would not be too worried about making HS varsity I would think.
              I totally agree that for some there is a concern about saving face if their daughter doesn't make Varsity as a freshman. This could totally happen. It is all about numbers and in HS typically once you are on varsity you stay there. A freshman isn't taking the spot of an upperclassman already in the team.

Comment

I totally agree that for some there is a concern about saving face if their daughter doesn't make Varsity as a freshman. This could totally happen. It is all about numbers and in HS typically once you are on varsity you stay there. A freshman isn't taking the spot of an upperclassman already in the team.
                Can and does happen, especially at bigger schools. Nothing wrong with it yet some, especially parents of premier players, are mortified at the prospect. Are they embarrassed by it or something?

Here's another angle - as a freshman on a varsity team you may not get much playing time either. Seniority and politics happens far more frequently in HS than club. Contributor on JV or bench warmer on varsity - which would you prefer?

Comment

Can and does happen, especially at bigger schools. Nothing wrong with it yet some, especially parents of premier players, are mortified at the prospect. Are they embarrassed by it or something?

Here's another angle - as a freshman on a varsity team you may not get much playing time either. Seniority and politics happens far more frequently in HS than club. Contributor on JV or bench warmer on varsity - which would you prefer?
                  Have you seen JV HS games? Unless you're a keeper, and might face a bunch of shots, HS JV games will do nothing to keep a high level player sharp while he/she waits for a varsity call-up.
                  The games are useless for a field player, as they'll be lucky to have one or two teammates that are ever in the right place and able to receive a pass, make a pass, or make a play. If a player is trying to improve as a freshman, it's best to play varsity - even if the minutes are scarce. Otherwise, train with your club team and play HS as a sophomore. JV is a play date with friends.

Comment

OK. They paid $1.50 in US income taxes.

Comment

OK. They paid $1.50 in US income taxes.
                      $1, $1 billion... It's just a rounding error for dear leader. Neither math nor US constitution are his strong suits.

You better be paying your fair share.

Comment

There are numerous examples of large PROFITABLE companies not paying US Income taxes.

There are also enormous tax subsidies and credits going to profitable oil and gas companies among others.

Those are the real entitlements. The welfare recipient, although more visible to us, are mouse balls in comparison to corporate entitlement program.

Those are the pesky facts.

Comment

There are numerous examples of large PROFITABLE companies not paying US Income taxes.

There are also enormous tax subsidies and credits going to profitable oil and gas companies among others.

Those are the real entitlements. The welfare recipient, although more visible to us, are mouse balls in comparison to corporate entitlement program.

I don't suppose it ever dawned on you to vote for smaller, less active government... The republicans claim to be that but are not. The democrats don't even bother lying to your dumb ass. Take it like a man, good and hard.

Comment

Have you seen JV HS games? Unless you're a keeper, and might face a bunch of shots, HS JV games will do nothing to keep a high level player sharp while he/she waits for a varsity call-up.
                            The games are useless for a field player, as they'll be lucky to have one or two teammates that are ever in the right place and able to receive a pass, make a pass, or make a play. If a player is trying to improve as a freshman, it's best to play varsity - even if the minutes are scarce. Otherwise, train with your club team and play HS as a sophomore. JV is a play date with friends.
                            Not the OP but there's a lot more to HS than soccer - including playing with your friends. Let the player decide. Three months of sloppy soccer isn't going to ruin them and if they're happy who cares? Chances are half way through varsity will have enough injuries and they'll get "called up" anyway.

Comment

Business are in the business of making money. Just like anyone here and will take advantage of every opportunity to lessen costs and increase profits (ie Fiscal Cliff, Stimulus, etc). Nothing new there. The US rate is the highest in the world and not many actually pay that but they are paying their fair share of taxes overall. Creating a headline that says these companies dont pay taxes is an excercise in painting by numbers. Cant say that this is strictly a Republican or Democrat issue. If the rent gets to high, what do you do? You look for another place.

Romney was criticized for not paying income taxes - he didnt have ordinary income to tax. If I hit the lottery, I would live off the interest and thats not ordinary income so effectively I wouldnt have to pay income tax.

Comment

I don't suppose it ever dawned on you to vote for smaller, less active government... The republicans claim to be that but are not. The democrats don't even bother lying to your dumb ass. Take it like a man, good and hard.
                                I have that is why I am a Libertarian. Since Ross Perot, I have voted for 3rd party candidates.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X