ISL Girls Soccer 2014

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all you crazed ISL parents, did your all-star club-playing freshmen make it? :) Or is it a starring role on the JV that awaits them?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Hey all you crazed ISL parents, did your all-star club-playing freshmen make it? :) Or is it a starring role on the JV that awaits them?
      Unlike public schools, that's not how the private schools work. If you can play, you will play. As has been pointed out time and time again, when the privates have played some of the top D1 public schools, they hold their own despite often being a fraction of the size of the public. For example, my kids school played a preseason scrimmage against a D1 that had won a state championship the previous fall and went on to win a district championship that same fall. The score was 1-1 and I actually think the private had the better play, but I am of coursed biased. The public was 3 times the school enrollment of the private.

Of course, it depends on whether we are talking boys or girls, but at my kid's school there were always freshman on the team who not only saw significant playing time, but often earned a starting position. Those parents of serious soccer players will send their kids to private schools for that reason if they can make the financial sacrifice to do so.

Comment

Unlike public schools, that's not how the private schools work. If you can play, you will play. As has been pointed out time and time again, when the privates have played some of the top D1 public schools, they hold their own despite often being a fraction of the size of the public. For example, my kids school played a preseason scrimmage against a D1 that had won a state championship the previous fall and went on to win a district championship that same fall. The score was 1-1 and I actually think the private had the better play, but I am of coursed biased. The public was 3 times the school enrollment of the private.

Of course, it depends on whether we are talking boys or girls, but at my kid's school there were always freshman on the team who not only saw significant playing time, but often earned a starting position. Those parents of serious soccer players will send their kids to private schools for that reason if they can make the financial sacrifice to do so.
        Also depends on the year and how your best players are distributed between the various grade levels. If, as a coach, you happen to find yourself in top heavy position, meaning you could more or less construct your entire starting lineup from your junior and senior classes, that can make it much harder for a few sophs and frosh to break in.

To your point about the level of play, the privates may display what feels like better quality, but it's not necessarily because they are better athletes, or better coached, but because they have the opportunity to pull players from a wider geographic area. This is particularly so with those that offer boarding, where the public high schools can only work with what their middle schools hand them. The regional HS's can sometimes get some benefits from having a wider footprint, but they also tend to be situated in lower density areas, so in the end, it's often roughly a wash for them.

Comment

Woo hoo, my little darling made varsity. Boot it honey!

Comment

Unlike public schools, that's not how the private schools work. If you can play, you will play.
            Huh???

Comment

Season kicks off with a few games this weekend:

Milton at Groton
              Pomfret at Nobles
              Tabor at Brooks
              Middlesex at Winsor

Any predictions on these, or guesses at the season title? Most of the marquee matchups seem to come later in the fall.

Comment

Milton at Groton
                Pomfret at Nobles
                Tabor at Brooks
                Middlesex at Winsor

Any predictions on these, or guesses at the season title? Most of the marquee matchups seem to come later in the fall.
                Most, if not all , are scrimmages

Comment

She made the Varsity. However, it's not yet clear how much playing time she'll receive. Probably not much for the first few weeks. She understands and we're fine with that.

What's more important to me is... what time will you and your daughter show up to clean our toilets?

Comment

Milton at Groton
                    Pomfret at Nobles
                    Tabor at Brooks
                    Middlesex at Winsor

Brooks vs Tabor is on Sept 13

Comment

She made the Varsity. However, it's not yet clear how much playing time she'll receive. Probably not much for the first few weeks. She understands and we're fine with that.

What's more important to me is... what time will you and your daughter show up to clean our toilets?
                      Wow! My daughter goes to an ISL and I'd like to distance myself from this elitist a-hole!

Comment

Wow! My daughter goes to an ISL and I'd like to distance myself from this elitist a-hole!
                        Mine does as well. Tell you the truth, I rather distance myself from the likes of you and your apologist attitude than them. The ignorant cheap shots from public school crowd get pretty old. If you want to ingratiate yourself with them, go ahead, just don't assume everyone else sees their posts as well meaning as you apparently do.

Comment

Another trailer trash public school parent, trolling this forum because they have nothing better to do. Shouldn't you be out protesting for an increase in the minimum wage?

Comment

Mine does as well. Tell you the truth, I rather distance myself from the likes of you and your apologist attitude than them. The ignorant cheap shots from public school crowd get pretty old. If you want to ingratiate yourself with them, go ahead, just don't assume everyone else sees their posts as well meaning as you apparently do.
                            Thanks buddy.

Comment

Does anybody know of a pre-season ranking of the girls' ISL?

Comment

Does anybody know of a pre-season ranking of the girls' ISL?
                                Why does a preseason poll matter? I don't know how anyone could construct such a poll.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X