Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I was coaching a U11 team 8v8 with 12 players. I gave everyone at least half the game (let's say 30 minutes on the field out of an hour). A soccer dad approached me after a game and asserted that everyone should be playing 55 minutes minimum. I saw that same dad coaching travel about a year later at a local tournament and several kids on his team rode the bench for all but 10 minutes. Another situation, I had a girl quit a different team I was coaching because I played the weaker players too much, and I had a different girl on the same team quit the same day because I didn't play the weaker players enough. I think players should rotate positions through U14 and should develop their weak foot, too. I had a player walk off my practice field at U12 because I declare the practice was, "weak foot day," and she didn't want to use her weak foot; parent let that happen. In other words, soccer parents can suck. Where was I? Oh, before U15, all players should get a half, and all players should see different positions on the field. Goalies should get field time, too. And, if you have weak players on a competitive team, remember, you didn't cut them and you accepted the check: make them better.
    Great post. I've had strikingly similar experiences over the years. I spell out my approach early, clearly and often. Parents who don't buy into it (and there are those who say they do, but then don't by their actions) will go along, get along or leave, and I'm fine with it.

Player development is a marathon, not a sprint. Parents would be best served (their own expectations and their kid's experience) to keep that in mind.

Comment

OP back again.

So we are 2 games into the season (not counting preseason) and my son is still playing defense. More specifically - left back.

He is playing most of the game (sat for 5 min last game).

As a town/travel assistant coach, every part of me thinks this is wrong and that players at U11/12 should rotate positions. Ironically, my co-coach (the head coach) also has him mostly on D.

Am I making too big a deal of this? Should I just sit back and be happy that he's getting so much playing time?

My son is completely fine with where ever he plays. I'm just concerned about his development at what I feel is a prime developing age.

Comment

OP back again.

So we are 2 games into the season (not counting preseason) and my son is still playing defense. More specifically - left back.

As a town/travel assistant coach, every part of me thinks this is wrong and that players at U11/12 should rotate positions. Ironically, my co-coach (the head coach) also has him mostly on D.

Am I making too big a deal of this? Should I just sit back and be happy that he's getting so much playing time?

My son is completely fine with where ever he plays. I'm just concerned about his development at what I feel is a prime developing age.

having a "position" is not appropriate at this age. However, you should not consider play L or R back as a "defensive" role. Yes, there are defensive responsibilities but there are also attacking opportunities he should be taught (or he can watch on TV). Defend together and attach together.

Comment

OP back again.

This was answered earlier. Most players tend to be comfortable at certain positions. It is the coach's discretion and job to figure out whether that is correct for that child. If coach thinks the kid should be a striker, he/she will most likely try them there. If it works fine. If not, you try them somewhere else. It is what you do as a coach.
          I can tell you though, that despite the best intentions, if you have the kids in the wrong spot on Sundays, there's some 'splaining to do.
          True Development is a myth in competitive soccer regardless of age.
          Get rid of results and you can try anything you want. But it does not work that way, at town or club.
          And nobody wants it that way either.

Comment

having a "position" is not appropriate at this age. However, you should not consider play L or R back as a "defensive" role. Yes, there are defensive responsibilities but there are also attacking opportunities he should be taught (or he can watch on TV). Defend together and attach together.
            Yes, I understand that and agree. However, (and correct me if I'm wrong) his primary responsibilities in that position are to receive the ball from the keeper or win the ball and clear it to a player ahead/on the wings.

Rarely does he have the opportunity to dribble for a run, work out a give and go, or get past a player or two using moves he's learned.

Or at least that's how he's currently being taught.

Comment

This was answered earlier. Most players tend to be comfortable at certain positions. It is the coach's discretion and job to figure out whether that is correct for that child. If coach thinks the kid should be a striker, he/she will most likely try them there. If it works fine. If not, you try them somewhere else. It is what you do as a coach.
              I can tell you though, that despite the best intentions, if you have the kids in the wrong spot on Sundays, there's some 'splaining to do.
              True Development is a myth in competitive soccer regardless of age.
              Get rid of results and you can try anything you want. But it does not work that way, at town or club.
              And nobody wants it that way either.
              So how does a coach determine that (position) based on practices alone?

My son hasn't played anything other than D (except for net) and ironically I don't think D is his best position.

Keeper is his best position and he's the best keeper on the team, but better on the field than the other keepers so he doesn't play in net all the time.

The weaker players are on the wings - which I suspect is a hiding strategy. But the team is not generating enough offense.

Comment

OP back again.

If you respect your local HS coach, go ask him what he thinks. If he says he's going to really need a good left back, you should be concerned looking ahead, not just today. If he says he shares your concern and wants to see soccer players develop who confidently can play anywhere, with vision, using both feet, then you should be very concerned today.

Either way, you should be concerned because your club coach is coaching to compete, not to develop players. Period.

Comment

OP again...

Ironically someone passed this article along to me today....

http://superkickcolumbus.com/soccer/...d-is-a-forward

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X