X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You sure showed everyone. Take a bow.

Comment

Here ya go BTDT. Maybe you can weave this into your argument. Here's a very average D3 team at the very bottom of their conference, the SAA. Only 24 out of 30 players have a club listed. 2 of the 6 without a club listed are internationals. 2 others are high school valedictorians who were 2 year captains with one being All-State for 2 years.

http://www.hendrixwarriors.com/roster.aspx?path=msoc

Comment

Really?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Ok. So all of these supremely talented soccer players turn down D1 offers to go to overpriced D3 schools. Sure, sure they do.

Please do not operate any heavy machinery tonight.

What is next...Nescac is more exclusive than the Ivies?
        MIT is a D3 school - if your smart enough to get in.

Comment

These D3 threads are like a documentary I watched last nite. It was called "Unhung Hero". It is about a guy who proposes to a girl on the Jumbotron at an UCLA basketball game but gets turned down because he is poorly endowed. As if that public humiliation is not enough, he becomes fixated on his lack of endowment and stars in the documentary exploring it.

Comment

All we are saying is that to play at a competitive D3 school you do need to play competitive youth soccer at the club level. There are certainly some Division III schools where you don't need any club soccer because those schools are traditionally very poor athletically.

If you look at the top 50 to 100 nationally ranked division III schools all of their players have played club soccer at some level.

Comment

Club vs. Town Only

My daughter is one of the girls listed as "unknown" and she finished her freshman year as a starter for her D3 team (not one of the 'elites' but still a very good program). She initially rode the bench but worked her way in, and now she's set to be a fixture for the next three years.

After watching some of the best D3 soccer in the country this year, I've come to the conclusion that the "need" for club soccer is primarily rooted in the biases and habits of coaches, who rely almost solely on club tournaments for eyes-on recruitment. The other major factor is the "first touch" on a live ball, which club players routinely handle much better than town players. It was an unskilled first touch that kept our daughter off the field initially, and it took her about six weeks of practice to develop the skills needed to align her game with the club players (and everyone else on her team played mid-to-high level club soccer).

There are plenty of non-club players out there who have the requisite athleticism and base skills to become excellent D3 players ... but it's just WAY easier to recruit finished products. We give a lot of credit to our daughter's coach, who put in the effort and made the commitment to developing her into a quality D3 contributor.

Comment

My daughter is one of the girls listed as "unknown" and she finished her freshman year as a starter for her D3 team (not one of the 'elites' but still a very good program). She initially rode the bench but worked her way in, and now she's set to be a fixture for the next three years.

After watching some of the best D3 soccer in the country this year, I've come to the conclusion that the "need" for club soccer is primarily rooted in the biases and habits of coaches, who rely almost solely on club tournaments for eyes-on recruitment. The other major factor is the "first touch" on a live ball, which club players routinely handle much better than town players. It was an unskilled first touch that kept our daughter off the field initially, and it took her about six weeks of practice to develop the skills needed to align her game with the club players (and everyone else on her team played mid-to-high level club soccer).

There are plenty of non-club players out there who have the requisite athleticism and base skills to become excellent D3 players ... but it's just WAY easier to recruit finished products. We give a lot of credit to our daughter's coach, who put in the effort and made the commitment to developing her into a quality D3 contributor.
                Thanks BTDT. Interesting timing on your resurrection of this thread.

Comment

Really?

I landed on this thread because I googled my daughter's name and this came up. Turns out I am very interested in the topic and figured I would contribute.

And then, after what I thought was a well-thought post, the first reply is some jackass who wants to believe that I'm another poster whom s/he is trying to ridicule?

Gee, you wonder why I didn't include my name, my daughter's name, or where she goes to school? If this is representative of the dialogue on this forum, then you people are worse than my town's PTO gaggle.

Comment

I landed on this thread because I googled my daughter's name and this came up. Turns out I am very interested in the topic and figured I would contribute.

And then, after what I thought was a well-thought post, the first reply is some jackass who wants to believe that I'm another poster whom s/he is trying to ridicule?

Gee, you wonder why I didn't include my name, my daughter's name, or where she goes to school? If this is representative of the dialogue on this forum, then you people are worse than my town's PTO gaggle.
                    Just turns out that you have an interest in the topic?

You think it's an accident that every other kid on your kid's team played club? Why didn't yours? Started with no touch and then coach gave individual attention that gave her touch to rival everyone else and then she was starting?

You read all 130 pages of the thread? You're a smart guy and didn't realize what you were walking in to? Why today?

Thanks again, BTNT.

Comment

Look at the 4 threads at the top right now. Coincidence?

Comment

Interest In The Topic

*sigh*

Yeah, I have an interest in the topic. Because we're always talking with people who ask us about whether or not to invest in club soccer.

And yeah, my daughter never had to worry much about developing her first touch because in high school soccer, you don't get punished nearly enough for the ball getting away from your feet/body. When she was forced to adapt, she worked like hell and made it happen. Her first touch still isn't where she would like it, but it's where it needs to be so that she plays.

And no, I started on page 128 or so, where google landed me (because that's where my daughter's name appears).

If you're really interested in whether or not I'm "BTNT," please have your system admin check my IP address against his/hers. And then get a life.

Comment

*sigh*

Yeah, I have an interest in the topic. Because we're always talking with people who ask us about whether or not to invest in club soccer.

And yeah, my daughter never had to worry much about developing her first touch because in high school soccer, you don't get punished nearly enough for the ball getting away from your feet/body. When she was forced to adapt, she worked like hell and made it happen. Her first touch still isn't where she would like it, but it's where it needs to be so that she plays.

And no, I started on page 128 or so, where google landed me (because that's where my daughter's name appears).

If you're really interested in whether or not I'm "BTNT," please have your system admin check my IP address against his/hers. And then get a life.
                          People are asking YOU about whether they should invest ("invest," really???)? Why? Are you some expert about that? What do you tell them? Did you tell all the parents on the NESCAC sidelines that they made a mistake?

And surely you know that BTNT doesn't have an IP address.

Comment

And furthermore...

And if you need me to say something that leads you to believe I'm not "BTNT" here it is: the whole analysis of "unknown" clubs is deeply flawed. My daughter's team has several players listed as "unknown" and she was the only one who didn't play club.

And why didn't she play? She played for half a season when she was 10, and hated it, because she was always interested in many things outside of soccer (and adding club to her schedule made it impossible for her to do those other things consistently). She never planned on playing college soccer, until she got to the summer after junior year and she decided she would miss it too much. We scrambled around, sent her to a couple for D3 summer weeks at area schools, and contacted coaches at all the schools she was interested in. We got a few nibbles, and she fell in love with one of the schools that nibbled. She ended up there, and made the squad but rode the bench - zero minutes first six games. Through work and persistence she cracked through.

Sorry if this tale is so unbelievable that it must be a lie.

Comment

Invest

Yeah, invest. And man, are you ridiculously argumentative for no apparent reason.

I come from a relatively blue collar town, and was on the soccer board for a long time. Parents know me, and sinking a few grand a year (and hundreds of hours of time) constitutes an investment for almost everyone here. Sorry we are not wealthy enough to consider 30-40k over our kids' pre-college career to be pocket change.

Are my posts really this unreasonable? No, I'm pretty sure it's you, and you just like to fight. So I'm done, have a great night.

Comment

And if you need me to say something that leads you to believe I'm not "BTNT" here it is: the whole analysis of "unknown" clubs is deeply flawed. My daughter's team has several players listed as "unknown" and she was the only one who didn't play club.

And why didn't she play? She played for half a season when she was 10, and hated it, because she was always interested in many things outside of soccer (and adding club to her schedule made it impossible for her to do those other things consistently). She never planned on playing college soccer, until she got to the summer after junior year and she decided she would miss it too much. We scrambled around, sent her to a couple for D3 summer weeks at area schools, and contacted coaches at all the schools she was interested in. We got a few nibbles, and she fell in love with one of the schools that nibbled. She ended up there, and made the squad but rode the bench - zero minutes first six games. Through work and persistence she cracked through.

Sorry if this tale is so unbelievable that it must be a lie.
                                There was a "whole analysis of 'unknowns'"? Really? I missed that. You mean since page 128 where you started, right?

Do you think most good "town" players could play an upper level of D3? Funny, don't think you even mentioned high school soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X