Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How do possibly square "high level" with the statement "when 2 or 3 kids don't show up"???
    Not the poster, but one of the toughest things about coaching is that you are never really sure who’ll be at the game until it starts. We use scheduling apps, email reminders, etc. and inevitably we are missing players. It happens.

Comment

Not the poster, but one of the toughest things about coaching is that you are never really sure who’ll be at the game until it starts. We use scheduling apps, email reminders, etc. and inevitably we are missing players. It happens.
      Nobody should stand for that. Not the coach, the club, or their teammates.

If you are on the team and on a game-day roster, you will be there. If you can't, you will let the club know. If you don't, you won't play next game.

Comment

And why I asked the question. On my 4th kid going through and we've never been with a team where '2 or 3 don't show up'. Was curious at what level this occurs.

Comment

All depends - is there a 2nd team to source players from in the event one or two get hurt or can't make the game? Our 1st team has a roster of 11 and we usually will take one kid from 2nd team to game, especially if one of the regularly rostered kids is hurt or something. Always shoot for 2-3 subs. For tournaments sometimes we try to have 13-14 due to the # of games in such close proximity.

Comment

And why I asked the question. On my 4th kid going through and we've never been with a team where '2 or 3 don't show up'. Was curious at what level this occurs.
            This is quite common although typically we’ll get an e-mail about a day or so in advance that someone will be absent, which really doesn’t make it easier. Always scrambling for players to fill out the roster and poaching from other teams where possible. We do talk to them about it, but it’s not the same players every week. I hear what you are saying about benching, etc. but it isn’t practical. They are kids and they are either sick, injured, have a conflict with another sport, or some special event like a best friend’s party - so what good does punishing an 11/12 yr old do in those cases? They just get turned off and the team suffers if you bench a good player. As to the level, let’s just say it’s not an ECNL team some parent is paying $5,000 a year for and leave it at that.

Comment

This is quite common although typically we’ll get an e-mail about a day or so in advance that someone will be absent, which really doesn’t make it easier. Always scrambling for players to fill out the roster and poaching from other teams where possible. We do talk to them about it, but it’s not the same players every week. I hear what you are saying about benching, etc. but it isn’t practical. They are kids and they are either sick, injured, have a conflict with another sport, or some special event like a best friend’s party - so what good does punishing an 11/12 yr old do in those cases? They just get turned off and the team suffers if you bench a good player. As to the level, let’s just say it’s not an ECNL team some parent is paying $5,000 a year for and leave it at that.
              There are clubs that charge more for low-level NEP teams that some clubs charge for ECNL... (hello, GPS...)

Comment

There are clubs that charge more for low-level NEP teams that some clubs charge for ECNL... (hello, GPS...)
                *than

Comment

I guess "you get what you pay for"....

We can pick on the higher leagues all we want, but you don't see those types of problems often there. Those who don't show enough, don't play enough. I've seen a coach not put a player in and directly tell them "you'e missed too many practices lately."

Want to be stretched thin and play other sports and go to parties, etc. - there's a league for that.

Comment

13-14 is ideal for 9v9. With 13 kids on the roster every player should play at least 40 minutes if it is about development. If it is about winning (which we know it is at most clubs) some kids might play a bit more.

Comment

13-14 is ideal for 9v9. With 13 kids on the roster every player should play at least 40 minutes if it is about development. If it is about winning (which we know it is at most clubs) some kids might play a bit more.
                      Why are tired kids conducive to winning? Most coaches would rather have fresh legs. The sub rules limit substitutions because of this so why play like you have no subs?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X