Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thank you for your post. Very informative. To this poster, I know this is a tricky one to answer, but do you think your daughter would have been admitted and received the same $ throughout without soccer? I’m asking because I too have a kid playing D1 and her siblings are starting to consider colleges. They are different from their sister and may do better in D3. All are very good academically, but older sister would play in a snowstorm if she could. Her younger siblings are very good players; but not sure they’ll stick with soccer, either before entering college or all the way through. I know there are no athletic scholarships, but wondering how much soccer mattered in D3 admission and merit $?
    Not the poster but there are no cut and dry answers. Generally with D3 your grades and scores need to be much closer to admission standards than what an athlete needs to get into most D1s. In other words some give, just not much at the better schools. Merit $ are harder to get an answer on. Some don't have any merit, others are generous. But is that because of good grades or being an athlete?

Comment

Thank you for your post. Very informative. To this poster, I know this is a tricky one to answer, but do you think your daughter would have been admitted and received the same $ throughout without soccer? I’m asking because I too have a kid playing D1 and her siblings are starting to consider colleges. They are different from their sister and may do better in D3. All are very good academically, but older sister would play in a snowstorm if she could. Her younger siblings are very good players; but not sure they’ll stick with soccer, either before entering college or all the way through. I know there are no athletic scholarships, but wondering how much soccer mattered in D3 admission and merit $?
      Hmmmm. Good question. Since it was always part of the equation, I am not sure.

I know other kids that went to great D3 schools as well. Several received merit scholarships for academics and at least one didn't pursue any sports in college and another decided not to continue after sophomore year. Both were not soccer, but I don't think that matters as far as sport. Their merit scholarships continued as long as their GPA was met. One decided to become a manager in her sport because she really liked the sport, but didn't love it. She really enjoyed still being part of the team, but not the same lifting/training things. She could work out when she wanted not when she was required.

Hope this helps. Enjoy it! It all goes by so very quickly.

Comment

Hmmmm. Good question. Since it was always part of the equation, I am not sure.

I know other kids that went to great D3 schools as well. Several received merit scholarships for academics and at least one didn't pursue any sports in college and another decided not to continue after sophomore year. Both were not soccer, but I don't think that matters as far as sport. Their merit scholarships continued as long as their GPA was met. One decided to become a manager in her sport because she really liked the sport, but didn't love it. She really enjoyed still being part of the team, but not the same lifting/training things. She could work out when she wanted not when she was required.

Hope this helps. Enjoy it! It all goes by so very quickly.
        Thank you again. It is very helpful. With D1, the process seemed oddly clearer that your first contact with a school was through their coach unlike non-student athletes who just apply. Without athletic money and the later recruiting cycle that I hear D3 has, it seems better to apply first and show them good scores and grades, and then say BTW I play soccer too.

I agree it goes fast, but with a 10 year difference between my oldest and youngest, it feels like forever right now :) If we can just keep the oldest healthy for another season so she can graduate and get out the door, we can just focus on the rest!

Comment

Thank you again. It is very helpful. With D1, the process seemed oddly clearer that your first contact with a school was through their coach unlike non-student athletes who just apply. Without athletic money and the later recruiting cycle that I hear D3 has, it seems better to apply first and show them good scores and grades, and then say BTW I play soccer too.

I agree it goes fast, but with a 10 year difference between my oldest and youngest, it feels like forever right now :) If we can just keep the oldest healthy for another season so she can graduate and get out the door, we can just focus on the rest!
          That's funny. One nearly out and others in waiting. The experiment kid. :)

You can send a note to the coach of her school choices, too. Make him/her aware of your interest, send grades and other info, plus your soccer info. Chances are you will get an email. I don't know if the new recruiting rules affect D3, but there were no restrictions on D3 contact previously because of the lack of athletic aid.

Discuss the merit aid with him/her and admissions too. They are usually happy to discuss ways to get good students-athletes to their school. Good luck!

Comment

Where's REIS ??????????

Comment

Where's REIS ??????????
              Need more clues? Regis maybe?? It's in Boston.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X