Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

small school question D3?

So anybody here play at the NESCACS? The Liberty league, or other D3 schools. What has your experience been like?

We are trying to figure it all out and would like to hear pros-cons of the soccer commitment, culture of the schools, education experience.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So anybody here play at the NESCACS? The Liberty league, or other D3 schools. What has your experience been like?

We are trying to figure it all out and would like to hear pros-cons of the soccer commitment, culture of the schools, education experience.
    Have your daughter ask questions to the coaches of the schools that she is interested in and take their answers with a grain of salt. My kid was shocked when she asked the first D3 school she visited that their season was only slightly shorter than D2 or D1 and had spring soccer, offseason workouts with strength and conditioning and high expectations just like the other 2 divisions. I think she thought D3 ended on November 1st and then see you in the middle of August.

Comment

For culture of the schools, athletic recruiting and educational experience have a look at the forums on collegeconfidential.com. They are a wealth of information.

Comment

Obviously it all varies by school and coach. Generally D3 is less of a commitment than D1 but it's still a substantial commitment. Off season still has workouts, practices and scrimmages. However, it isn't as intense and regimented as D1 in the spring and there aren't competitive games. It's much easier to do study abroad and internships with D3 as well. Most D3 coaches will stress academics when you talk to them but may not always walk the walk. There's no academic support with D3 so your player has to be able to keep up with their work. But many coaches organize study groups and team tutors to make sure players aren't slipping behind.

Comment

D3 is older ages version of high school,park rec soccer.

Comment

D3 is older ages version of high school,park rec soccer.
            Not at top teams. The difference is there's far fewer quality top teams in D3. Even at the lower levels the vast majority of players have solid club experience. Nor does that take away from it being a meaningful experience for players. They still love the game and want to play.

Comment

Yes you paid yrs of fees and costs at club for the meaningful experience end result, got it.

Comment

Yes you paid yrs of fees and costs at club for the meaningful experience end result, got it.
                and there we go - didn't take long for you know who to chime in with the "if it isn't top soccer why are you paying for it?"

Comment

and there we go - didn't take long for you know who to chime in with the "if it isn't top soccer why are you paying for it?"
                  Cracks me up that some think D1 soccer is top-quality or even high-quality. It's more like advanced kick and run with little emphasis on technical skills or tactical insight. MLS clubs (not that they're exactly "quality") have figured out to de-emphasize the college draft in favor of signing USL or overseas players. The Union traded all their draft picks for allocation money. The College Cup is unwatchable, and that's not just because the NCAA has them play on dirt patches.

To accentuate the positive, at least the D1 players are bigger, faster and stronger. So they run nowhere fast, hoof the ball upfield very far, and smash into one another very robustly.

I'm not saying D3 etc is any better (it's the substitution rules amongst other "tweaks" to FIFA laws), just let's not delude ourselves that college soccer is greatest expression of the beautiful game. Or that the differentials between D1 and D3 are all that significant or meaningful.

Comment

let's not delude ourselves...
                    Not going to happen here.

Comment

Cracks me up that some think D1 soccer is top-quality or even high-quality. It's more like advanced kick and run with little emphasis on technical skills or tactical insight. MLS clubs (not that they're exactly "quality") have figured out to de-emphasize the college draft in favor of signing USL or overseas players. The Union traded all their draft picks for allocation money. The College Cup is unwatchable, and that's not just because the NCAA has them play on dirt patches.

To accentuate the positive, at least the D1 players are bigger, faster and stronger. So they run nowhere fast, hoof the ball upfield very far, and smash into one another very robustly.

I'm not saying D3 etc is any better (it's the substitution rules amongst other "tweaks" to FIFA laws), just let's not delude ourselves that college soccer is greatest expression of the beautiful game. Or that the differentials between D1 and D3 are all that significant or meaningful.
                      You write/sound just like posts on other threads with the same negativity...so I am going to assume you are the same person (maybe I am wrong but I don't think I am). You just bash anything and everything. TS is meant to be answers to simple questions and try to provide some insight in to what has worked or hasn't worked. Try to be helpful not so damn negative and insulting. NEP and ODP, save money, all soccer in New England club/High School/college is awful, blah, blah, blah. Every one of your points is a generalization. Is there anything that you are positive about. You must be a joy to have at a party.

Comment

Less than 10% of any youth players will play at any college level, even including JuCo. Like with colleges, there's a college soccer level for everybody that wants it. 95% of all college players played some level of club

http://scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

Comment

Less than 10% of any youth players will play at any college level, even including JuCo. Like with colleges, there's a college soccer level for everybody that wants it. 95% of all college players played some level of club

http://scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html
                          Can someone whose kids actually plays in D3 please respond to the question that started this thread? Some of us are actually interested in actual experiences rather than those posting pointless stuff like the above. If you have no first-hand insight, just keep your comments to yourself.

Comment

You write/sound just like posts on other threads with the same negativity...so I am going to assume you are the same person (maybe I am wrong but I don't think I am). You just bash anything and everything. TS is meant to be answers to simple questions and try to provide some insight in to what has worked or hasn't worked. Try to be helpful not so damn negative and insulting. NEP and ODP, save money, all soccer in New England club/High School/college is awful, blah, blah, blah. Every one of your points is a generalization. Is there anything that you are positive about. You must be a joy to have at a party.
                            Not the OP but I actually think he was trying to thwart the negativity. There are people out there who think D3 soccer isn't "worth it", completely ignoring the fact that many players just love the game and don't care if it's "worth it". They're not trying to be pros or NT. They just want to play! OP was just pointing out that don't act like D1 is the be all and end all when, compared globally, it's really not that great. Just play where you play and love it.

Isn't that what you are always preaching?

Comment

Not the OP but I actually think he was trying to thwart the negativity. There are people out there who think D3 soccer isn't "worth it", completely ignoring the fact that many players just love the game and don't care if it's "worth it". They're not trying to be pros or NT. They just want to play! OP was just pointing out that don't act like D1 is the be all and end all when, compared globally, it's really not that great. Just play where you play and love it.

Isn't that what you are always preaching?
                              Again, if your kid doesn’t play D3 and you can’t answer the thread question, just sh*t the f*ck up and go start your own thread.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X