Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major gda announcements begin thursday and friday .....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered
    New kids are pouring into Scorps across all the ECNL age groups.
    Good for Scorpions. NEFC has dumped on them for years.

Comment

And Stars hasn’t cmon.Scorpions were always a top team.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        And Stars hasn’t cmon.Scorpions were always a top team.
        I’m not so sure about that, and Scorpions always had some good players but we’re never a top team. Now’s their chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          I’m not so sure about that, and Scorpions always had some good players but we’re never a top team. Now’s their chance.
          This GDA thing has benefitted one club for sure. Scorpions are definitely becoming a contender in ECNL, especially at the younger age groups

Comment

Will be good to see two competitive ECNL programs in MA. If it’s true that ECNL gave ultimatums to the few remaining clubs who still have both ECNL & GDA, then things on a national scale are going to get very interesting.

Comment

ECNL got it right because USSF was involved. ECNL became too political that's why USSF moved away. Which is funny because USSF is very political. Pot...kettle...you know how it goes. Brutal.
              This is not true. US Soccer (WNT) just wants to be equal with boys/men's soccer, and we ended up with the GDA. Having done both USYS National League, ECNL and now GDA, I really think they all stink.

I felt there was more of a competitive atmosphere in the USYS National league and then that competitive aspect followed into the ECNL after the top clubs pulled out of USYS. I don’t get that feeling in the GDA. The GDA feels like everyone is just comfortable being in the DA and there is little passion. Girls got the invite to play in what is considered to be the top league, and are now just happy to be there. Right now, league games are not exciting, and the kids just show up and play. Most teams in the league aren’t really playing for anything (I’m sure this was an issue at times for ECNL teams too). Our girls don’t really care about the other teams they are playing, and most of the time when we do travel for league games, the games aren’t competitive and certainly are not spirited! I have been around the game for a long time now. Contrary to how many feel, we have better girls soccer in MA, CT, NH and RI than the rest of the nation. We took away the local competition, which keep the standard higher because our local level was higher than most other areas in the nation. Having a league with just Stars, NEFC, Scorps, Bolts, SSS, FSA, CFC, Oakwood and Seacoast would be enough and on occasion go to a showcase and play other top teams from other areas. There is no reason to drive to Long Island, Rochester, New Jersey or Downingtown, PA to play league games year after year against junk teams. IMO we are going backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered2076 View Post
                This is not true. US Soccer (WNT) just wants to be equal with boys/men's soccer, and we ended up with the GDA. Having done both USYS National League, ECNL and now GDA, I really think they all stink.

I felt there was more of a competitive atmosphere in the USYS National league and then that competitive aspect followed into the ECNL after the top clubs pulled out of USYS. I don’t get that feeling in the GDA. The GDA feels like everyone is just comfortable being in the DA and there is little passion. Girls got the invite to play in what is considered to be the top league, and are now just happy to be there. Right now, league games are not exciting, and the kids just show up and play. Most teams in the league aren’t really playing for anything (I’m sure this was an issue at times for ECNL teams too). Our girls don’t really care about the other teams they are playing, and most of the time when we do travel for league games, the games aren’t competitive and certainly are not spirited! I have been around the game for a long time now. Contrary to how many feel, we have better girls soccer in MA, CT, NH and RI than the rest of the nation. We took away the local competition, which keep the standard higher because our local level was higher than most other areas in the nation. Having a league with just Stars, NEFC, Scorps, Bolts, SSS, FSA, CFC, Oakwood and Seacoast would be enough and on occasion go to a showcase and play other top teams from other areas. There is no reason to drive to Long Island, Rochester, New Jersey or Downingtown, PA to play league games year after year against junk teams. IMO we are going backwards.
                Youth sports has just been exploited and manipulated for financial gain. None of it has much to do with improving the level of the athletes or the competition. It is in fact the opposite. The current model shrinks the competitive pool down to only include kids from families with lots of financial resources. Then these families try to out compete each other because it is very important to be the "best" player.

Almost all of our top athletes now come from all these well off families. What a coincidence! I guess it is a win win for the youth sports biz and the well off players who are the "best". Everyone is happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered2076 View Post
                  I have been around the game for a long time now. Contrary to how many feel, we have better girls soccer in MA, CT, NH and RI than the rest of the nation.
                  It's too early in the morning to be drinking.

Comment

We were told that NEFC rejected the ECNL for DA. I have one that is almost done with DA and another that will leave the club after this year. The DA gamble has been a disaster.
                    NEFC was never in ECNL and they didn't reject anything. It was BBA as franchise and nefc benefited from it. But JD and friends did everything to make their life miserable there. Dead in water now.

Comment

Originally posted by UnregisteredUSA View Post
                      It's too early in the morning to be drinking.
                      Wake and bake.

Comment

Everyone has such big plans, go to stars go to scorpions blah blah. Everyone does realize that there are a very limited number of spots and in many instances those spots are currently filled by well deserving kids, but changes are always occurring. But these teamsAnd parents who think they will just take their team over to Star and the scorpions and all of a sudden become their ECNL team are delusional ain’t happening. Maybe less than a handful at best could
                        Knock others off

Comment

Everyone has such big plans, go to stars go to scorpions blah blah. Everyone does realize that there are a very limited number of spots and in many instances those spots are currently filled by well deserving kids, but changes are always occurring. But these teamsAnd parents who think they will just take their team over to Star and the scorpions and all of a sudden become their ECNL team are delusional ain’t happening. Maybe less than a handful at best could
                          Knock others off
                          The better players will be fine, bit as we know GDA rosters aren't filled with all the "better players." A good 2/3s of them will find their options limited.

Comment

Major announcements by clubs in GDA will begin at the end of this week when they all return from the CO showcase. This is going to get ugly.
                            Last five dual DA/ECNL clubs are on the clock:

Real Colorado
                            So Cal Blues
                            Top Hat
                            Solar
                            FC Dallas

Comment

Last five dual DA/ECNL clubs are on the clock:

Real Colorado
                              So Cal Blues
                              Top Hat
                              Solar
                              FC Dallas
                              I thought SoCal Blues already said they were out? There was an announcement a few weeks back that two SoCal clubs were dropping out, one mediocre and one very good. Top Hat is sick of going to FL for smackdowns. The post below was on another board and sounds like CO is leaning towards ECNL.

https://www.socceramerica.com/public...tml?verified=1

Quick insight on how ECNL is pressuring clubs to drop out of GDA.

----
                              Lorne Donaldson on how the ECNL vs. Development Academy turf war has created a 'toxic environment'
                              by Mike Woitalla @MikeWoitalla, Apr 26, 2019
                              Lorne Donaldson is the Executive Director of Coaching of Real Colorado, one of the few clubs that compete in both the girls ECNL and the girls U.S. Soccer Development Academy. Real Colorado's rate of sending players into the U.S. national team program ranks it among the top clubs in the nation. Donaldson also serves as assistant coach to Hue Menzies of the Jamaican women's national team, which will be making its first Women's World Cup appearance this summer.

SOCCER AMERICA: Your club, Real Colorado, is one of a handful that fields teams in both the ECNL, launched in 2009, and the Girls U.S. Soccer Development Academy, which started in 2017 and is now in its second season. How do you manage both?
                              LORNE DONALDSON: I think we have a good staff and our management is good. We really have no problem. We have the fields to do it. And we have the players because the kids want to play for us because it’s a good environment.
                              We have a good pool of players, and it’s going to get better if they allow us to stay in both leagues. But who knows what’s going to happen now? I think there are going to be some decisions coming up.
                              SA: You may not continue fielding teams in both the Girls DA and the ECNL?
                              LORNE DONALDSON: The ECNL wanted us to get out of [the Development Academy]. There are some clubs already out of the ECNL. They have been kicked out.
                              The ECNL thinks that at the clubs that play both ECNL and DA, your top players are playing in the DA and the second-string players are playing in the ECNL. They [the ECNL] want all the top players. The ECNL is saying, you can’t do both. You can just do one.
                              SA: So what do you think will happen next season (2019-20)?
                              LORNE DONALDSON: I don’t know yet for sure if we’re going to be in both. Three or four days ago, I told them if we come to the ECNL, we want two teams [in each age group]. They have to go and discuss it.
                              SA: Because if you leave the Girls DA, about half the Real Colorado players who now play in the Girls DA and ECNL will no longer be playing in one of the nation’s elite girls leagues?
                              LORNE DONALDSON: Yes. If we're only going to play ECNL, we can’t just take one team. It doesn’t make any sense. We would like to see both teams in if we’re going to do it. We have the environment to do it. But that’s a discussion with the ECNL.
                              SA: And if it comes down to making a choice between the two?
                              LORNE DONALDSON: Then most likely we would stay in the DA. We will lose our ECNL group.
                              SA: As it is now, for the last two seasons, how is it decided which Real Colorado girls play in the DA and which play in the ECNL?
                              LORNE DONALDSON: I’m not going to try to sugarcoat. Most of the better players wanted to play in the DA. But there are some very good players, and a few top players, who decided they wanted to play ECNL because they wanted to also play for their high school.
                              And there are DA players who still want to play high school. They still talk about it and they want to play.
                              [Editor’s note: U.S. Soccer does not allow DA players to play high school soccer.]
                              SA: So an advantage of being a club with both DA and ECNL teams is that players have a choice, and the ones who want to play high school still have access to high-level club competition …
                              LORNE DONALDSON: Yeah. It’s actually created an environment for us where you can service people better. But again, how long is it going to last?
                              It’s OK to have two leagues, but you got to try and get them under the same umbrella and moving in the same direction. If you have them under the same umbrella, and the guys are working together, and you cross-play, and you do stuff like that, then the soccer is going to be good again. But right now, it’s a sad state of affairs.
                              SA: Instead it's been a turf war?
                              LORNE DONALDSON: I think what has been created with the ECNL and the DA is a toxic environment for these kids. It’s actually no fun right now. The game is no fun.
                              We haven’t changed anything at our club that we were doing five or six years ago. We’re still doing it the same way, but there seems to be a lot conflict between the leagues. It’s on the top. And they can’t work it out.
                              It’s created a very poor environment if you look across the spectrum, across the board. A lot of fussing. People are mad at each other.
                              SA: Some of the top girls clubs in the nation are split between the two leagues, so they don’t play each other anymore …
                              LORNE DONALDSON: Our top teams used to go play teams like the Slammers, PDA, Michigan Hawks, Stars of Massachusetts and Eclipse [which play in the ECNL]. Those were great games. Those are the games people want to see. When you throw the best games out, it’s no longer any fun. There has to be a way for the top clubs to play each other.
                              SA: That reminds me of a complaint I heard from a DA coach who told me he can’t play his very strong neighbor club because it’s ECNL, and instead travels hours to play a weaker club. It doesn’t seem too complicated to allow those teams to play each other. Why doesn’t that happen?
                              LORNE DONALDSON: Ego. And everyone wants to be the top dog. And both groups think their league is better. And they don’t realize that they’re killing the game and driving kids away. There are kids who are turned off from the game because of this stuff. We have to get back to where kids will enjoy the game.
                              And one league has a lot of restrictions.
                              SA: The DA?
                              LORNE DONALDSON: The DA. You’re not supposed to manage the club the way you used manage it even though you’re smarter than the people who are making the rules.
                              Most of the people making the rules have never run a club in their lives. But they’re making the rules that a lot of times don’t make sense.
                              SA: Such as?
                              LORNE DONALDSON: The biggest one is the high school [ban]. You tell me why a kid can’t play high school soccer? If they still want to go play high school and be a part of that, I don’t see anything wrong with that.
                              We have a lot of kids who, when they go play high school, they come back better and more confident because they’ve played against bigger, faster players. They get more playing time.
                              Leave it up to the clubs to figure it out. Our top-level players, if they don’t choose to play high school, they train with the boys. The environment is already there for the elite players. The top players, going back to Mia Hamm, they could play high school.

Comment

ECNL and DA Both have their flaws DA not allowing high school is a joke So are there substitution rules. DA Is more pure Soccer, ECNL is great soccer too but more hype and bells and whistles. Both should start their own travel agency based on how much parents spend going to games

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X