Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I see no mention of player development. Only team needs. That is odd.
    Playing time is a game-only issue.

I think the letter is good - assuming it isn't for really young players and it's at the club level. Pretty black and white. The only thing missing is if things like effort at practice, attitude, missing practices, etc, also are factored into PT. At an older club level that is usually assumed but it's always worth repeating.

Not enough coaches spell it out at the beginning of a season. If expectations and processes are laid out in advance it leads to a lot less agida for all involved.

Comment

Yah he does, you pay his salary....
      Go see your kid's teachers instead...much more important that they develop.

And everybody pays everybody else's salary.

Comment

To even question this is ludicrous.

No wonder club soccer is in such shambles.

Comment

To even question this is ludicrous.

No wonder club soccer is in such shambles.
          completely agree. To the OP, why are you wondering if the letter is fair? Is there something in it that leads you to believe it's not? This letter is a great one from a coach who explained the situation. I'm curious about what prompted the letter....were parents on your team complaining?

Comment

Nope. The parent is the customer. The child is the benefactor and the coach/club is the contractor. If the parent doesn't like something, the coach should be able to discuss it. If not then he/she is not doing the entire job. As for "painfully obvious" reasons...some parents don't understand the game well enough for things to be as painfully obvious, as all the experts here at TS would. That letter is a simple, well thought out, and pre-emptive dodge, of having an open dialog with the parents. "I am coach...Do not question my decisions!". That works for Belichick because the players get paid.......When the players do the paying then an open dialog is at a minimum. I would talk to the coach about the letter first. If you don't like that conversion try and find some other place to spend your money. Oh, and don't forget to talk bad about the club and coach here....

Comment

One of the policies/procedures that I will continue to enforce strongly is the policy of not discussing playing time with parents or other players. Lineups, rotations, and individual playing time may seem strange to you while sitting in the stands, but please remember that playing time is not just a “quick decision” for any coach.

For me, choices concerning playing time and lineups are made in an extremely thought out and carefully balanced manner. All decisions are made through an analysis of the following: what’s best for the team; which rotations “work” together and which ones don’t; players’ personal strengths and limitations (physical, mental, emotional); positional needs; player tendencies; opponents’ tendencies; the team’s long term goals; practice attendance; effort level and practice. Ultimately, it comes down to this question; “What is in the best interest of the team?” As you can see, I’m certainly using a great deal of data in making rotation and playing time decisions. Please remember this as a parent and fan. With this being said playing time decisions are the sole responsibility of me, the coach, and will not be discussed with parents.

Should a player seek to discuss playing time issues with a coach, he may do so by talking with a coach before/after practice. Before or after a match is never an appropriate time to discuss playing time, as comments made during the heat of the moment may be largely inappropriate or hurtful. Neither players nor parents should discuss another player with a coach, as that act could be harmful to team unity and loyalty.

Non State Cup or Region 1 Games:
              1. Develop Players
              2. Everyone plays, but not equal
              3. Play to win

State Cup or Region 1 Games:
              1. Play to Win
              2. Playing time is not equal
              This is not a he by the way.

Comment

Nope. The parent is the customer. The child is the benefactor and the coach/club is the contractor. If the parent doesn't like something, the coach should be able to discuss it. If not then he/she is not doing the entire job. As for "painfully obvious" reasons...some parents don't understand the game well enough for things to be as painfully obvious, as all the experts here at TS would. That letter is a simple, well thought out, and pre-emptive dodge, of having an open dialog with the parents. "I am coach...Do not question my decisions!". That works for Belichick because the players get paid.......When the players do the paying then an open dialog is at a minimum. I would talk to the coach about the letter first. If you don't like that conversion try and find some other place to spend your money. Oh, and don't forget to talk bad about the club and coach here....
                But if you get this letter up front, you can choose not to pay. Once you enter the agreement, you play by their rules. If you did not realize that the coach held this viewpoint before you paid shame in you for not doing your due diligence.

I pulled my kid out of a club as soon season was over because although the coach said he was there to develop players, he was only there to win and win in his style. I was stupid. Should have asked more questions. He literally sat 4-5 of his youngest, smallest players on bench on all season and would even pull in guest players to play in front of them. We left, and found a better team/coach where this was laid out up front, and been happy since. That other coach lost half his team and no longer coaching club. Market dictated that one, but it was definitely my mistake up front, and lesson learned.

Comment

If the parent "doesn't like something" they should be able to discuss it with the coach?
                  That is so funny. A serious club doesn't hand hold to assuage the anxieties of parental fruitcakes like you. It's about the players not you. But thanks for clarifying THE problem in youth sports!

Comment

Big difference between having A (as in singular, maybe two) conversation with a coach, vs constant conversations which I've seen plenty of parents do. You're advocating an "open dialog." When does a coach even have time for that if he has do to do it for 18 players? Do you expect an individualized game report every week? A smart coach will lay it all out to players and parents what is expected. They can answer questions when asked but reserve the right to cut it off at some point, particularly if the child isn't doing what is being asked of them and/or the parent is getting out of hand. If a parent doesn't like it they can

1)take it up with the club (good clubs stand by the coaches they want to keep and don't let parents rule the roost, but go ahead if you think the beef is legit)

2) leave (but you may be stuck paying).

Also, at a certain age players need to learn how to self advocate and speak with their coach directly. Parents shouldn't be involved unless the player can't get anywhere.

Comment

Is coach's first initial D?

Comment

One of the policies/procedures that I will continue to enforce strongly is the policy of not discussing playing time with parents or other players. Lineups, rotations, and individual playing time may seem strange to you while sitting in the stands, but please remember that playing time is not just a “quick decision” for any coach.

For me, choices concerning playing time and lineups are made in an extremely thought out and carefully balanced manner. All decisions are made through an analysis of the following: what’s best for the team; which rotations “work” together and which ones don’t; players’ personal strengths and limitations (physical, mental, emotional); positional needs; player tendencies; opponents’ tendencies; the team’s long term goals; practice attendance; effort level and practice. Ultimately, it comes down to this question; “What is in the best interest of the team?” As you can see, I’m certainly using a great deal of data in making rotation and playing time decisions. Please remember this as a parent and fan. With this being said playing time decisions are the sole responsibility of me, the coach, and will not be discussed with parents.

Should a player seek to discuss playing time issues with a coach, he may do so by talking with a coach before/after practice. Before or after a match is never an appropriate time to discuss playing time, as comments made during the heat of the moment may be largely inappropriate or hurtful. Neither players nor parents should discuss another player with a coach, as that act could be harmful to team unity and loyalty.

1. Develop Players
                        3. Play to win

1. Play to Win
                        I'm gonna copy and past and hand out at next parents meeting....

Comment

Is coach's first initial D?
                          Yes..

Comment

1. Develop Players
                            3. Play to win

1. Play to Win
                            I have no problem with the content of the email what so ever except for the idea that he has little room for discussion with either the player or the parent. Absolutely hate coaches like this and would never have my child on a team coached by such a coach. Not because I am a meddlesome parent and not because I feel some need to co-coach the team but rather if the coach is that insecure about their position of power that they have to implement such an intimidating posture to justify one of their decisions I don't want my children to learn to fear coaches. I want my children to be self advocates and if a coach doesn't invite and encourage their timid first steps I feel they are working cross purpose to that. There are way to many asshat coaches out there that think that screaming and bullying players into submission is what coaching is all about. Maybe is used to be, but not these days. Really that is nothing more than an adult satisfying their ego on the backs of a bunch of kids. Here's hoping that all the players leave coaches like this one for better role models.

Comment

I have no problem with the content of the email what so ever except for the idea that he has little room for discussion with either the player or the parent. Absolutely hate coaches like this and would never have my child on a team coached by such a coach. Not because I am a meddlesome parent and not because I feel some need to co-coach the team but rather if the coach is that insecure about their position of power that they have to implement such an intimidating posture to justify one of their decisions I don't want my children to learn to fear coaches. I want my children to be self advocates and if a coach doesn't invite and encourage their timid first steps I feel they are working cross purpose to that. There are way to many asshat coaches out there that think that screaming and bullying players into submission is what coaching is all about. Maybe is used to be, but not these days. Really that is nothing more than an adult satisfying their ego on the backs of a bunch of kids. Here's hoping that all the players leave coaches like this one for better role models.
                              Nice post. You delicately brought this around to set up the personal coach bashing that will start in 3, 2, 1...

Comment

Nice post. You delicately brought this around to set up the personal coach bashing that will start in 3, 2, 1...
                                And he's full of crap. Coaches have to do this because they are coaching "A" teams who must win to get the GS points to get the rankings to get the new blood into the club. The coach has to send this out since no doubt the lower 1/3 of the roster's parents are wondering what in God's name they are doing with this type of commitment level just to see their kids ride the pine. And with good reason. Kids want to compete in games, not practices.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X