Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this letter fair?

One of the policies/procedures that I will continue to enforce strongly is the policy of not discussing playing time with parents or other players. Lineups, rotations, and individual playing time may seem strange to you while sitting in the stands, but please remember that playing time is not just a “quick decision” for any coach.

For me, choices concerning playing time and lineups are made in an extremely thought out and carefully balanced manner. All decisions are made through an analysis of the following: what’s best for the team; which rotations “work” together and which ones don’t; players’ personal strengths and limitations (physical, mental, emotional); positional needs; player tendencies; opponents’ tendencies; the team’s long term goals; practice attendance; effort level and practice. Ultimately, it comes down to this question; “What is in the best interest of the team?” As you can see, I’m certainly using a great deal of data in making rotation and playing time decisions. Please remember this as a parent and fan. With this being said playing time decisions are the sole responsibility of me, the coach, and will not be discussed with parents.

Should a player seek to discuss playing time issues with a coach, he may do so by talking with a coach before/after practice. Before or after a match is never an appropriate time to discuss playing time, as comments made during the heat of the moment may be largely inappropriate or hurtful. Neither players nor parents should discuss another player with a coach, as that act could be harmful to team unity and loyalty.

Non State Cup or Region 1 Games:
    1. Develop Players
    2. Everyone plays, but not equal
    3. Play to win

State Cup or Region 1 Games:
    1. Play to Win
    2. Playing time is not equal

yes .

Comment

Yes but he didn't even owe you an explanation.

Comment

I guess the answer is subject, are you a helicopter parent that demands skippy or jenny gets what YOU think they deserve? Or are you a parent that looks at it with the perspective of the coach (Teacher, Boss, parent,etc) has laid out how he/she makes a certain decision and gives your player an equal opportunity to know whats expected and how they can succeed?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          One of the policies/procedures that I will continue to enforce strongly is the policy of not discussing playing time with parents or other players. Lineups, rotations, and individual playing time may seem strange to you while sitting in the stands, but please remember that playing time is not just a “quick decision” for any coach.

For me, choices concerning playing time and lineups are made in an extremely thought out and carefully balanced manner. All decisions are made through an analysis of the following: what’s best for the team; which rotations “work” together and which ones don’t; players’ personal strengths and limitations (physical, mental, emotional); positional needs; player tendencies; opponents’ tendencies; the team’s long term goals; practice attendance; effort level and practice. Ultimately, it comes down to this question; “What is in the best interest of the team?” As you can see, I’m certainly using a great deal of data in making rotation and playing time decisions. Please remember this as a parent and fan. With this being said playing time decisions are the sole responsibility of me, the coach, and will not be discussed with parents.

Should a player seek to discuss playing time issues with a coach, he may do so by talking with a coach before/after practice. Before or after a match is never an appropriate time to discuss playing time, as comments made during the heat of the moment may be largely inappropriate or hurtful. Neither players nor parents should discuss another player with a coach, as that act could be harmful to team unity and loyalty.

1. Develop Players
          3. Play to win

1. Play to Win
          Yes. You are free to vote with your feet if you feel your kid isn't developing the way he/she should.

Comment

1. Develop Players
            3. Play to win

1. Play to Win
            What age group? That matters. A lot. If this is a U10 team the coach is overthinking things by a wide margin. U14? I think it is spot on.

Cujo

Comment

Does the coach have a kid on the team?

Comment

Yes. You are free to vote with your feet if you feel your kid isn't developing the way he/she should.
                I think he's being disingenuous. He didn't add a couple of key factors to his playing time decision making:

1) is the kid in question part of a large family of fee-paying soccer players, and I'm liable to lose multiple kids if I piss Mama-bear off?

2) is the Mom cute?

Comment

1. Develop Players
                  3. Play to win

1. Play to Win
                  I see no mention of player development. Only team needs. That is odd.

Comment

Can you read? It is NUMBER 1

Comment

Yes but he didn't even owe you an explanation.
                      Yah he does, you pay his salary....

Comment

"Team needs" and "long term goals" necessarily include development of fringe players. I think letter is perfect. (But let's make it clear that this is "u14 appropriate" so the u12 and under mini-mourinhos don't feel empowered to run further amok.)

Comment

Does the coach have a kid on the team?
                          If so then run, don't walk. NEVER works, inherent conflict of interest.

Comment

As long as everyone gets a trophy!

Comment

Haha! Get real. The "explanation" is always right there in front of you but coaches won't tell you what is so obvious.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X