Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MA quietly becomes the hotbed of men's div III soccer

Last two national champions (Amherst, Tufts), four in final 16 (Amherst, MIT, Brandeis, Tufts), seven in the dance (UMB, Babson, Bridgewater State). You might not getting water cooler or TS bragging rights for Div 1 but your son will get a great education also.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-men/d3

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Last two national champions (Amherst, Tufts), four in final 16 (Amherst, MIT, Brandeis, Tufts), seven in the dance (UMB, Babson, Bridgewater State). You might not getting water cooler or TS bragging rights for Div 1 but your son will get a great education also.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-men/d3
    Massachusetts has been for a while now due to the number of schools and quality of education.

Comment

Massachusetts has been for a while now due to the number of schools and quality of education.
      It's not that surprising but nice to see nonetheless. Many schools in the area are in high demand so they can pick the best. We're lucky to have so many great schools and programs in a short distance. Other parts of the country aren't nearly as fortunate. Around here there really is something for everybody

Comment

A generalized observation I'd make based on my son's experience- my kid looked at a decent number of D3 schools outside the northeast region (beyond NE, NY, PA) and the coaches outside the northeast (with some exceptions) didn't operate with the same urgency and sense of quid pro quo that you see here. Here, the more selective and competitive NESCAC/UAA/Liberty/Centennial schools understand they're somewhat in competition for players, they stroke the players' egos a bit, pre-screen your transcript and then push for an ED application if you want any help with admissions or even assurance about a spot on the roster. My son encountered a bunch of schools outside the region that don't pre-screen and/or provide any help with admissions, and where the stroking was more along the lines of "we'd love to have you on the team and hope that you'll apply" and that was about it. I get that most schools aren't as selective as the NESCACs so they don't have to play the ED game, but the coaches just seemed less aggressive about trying to have a competitive team.

Comment

A generalized observation I'd make based on my son's experience- my kid looked at a decent number of D3 schools outside the northeast region (beyond NE, NY, PA) and the coaches outside the northeast (with some exceptions) didn't operate with the same urgency and sense of quid pro quo that you see here. Here, the more selective and competitive NESCAC/UAA/Liberty/Centennial schools understand they're somewhat in competition for players, they stroke the players' egos a bit, pre-screen your transcript and then push for an ED application if you want any help with admissions or even assurance about a spot on the roster. My son encountered a bunch of schools outside the region that don't pre-screen and/or provide any help with admissions, and where the stroking was more along the lines of "we'd love to have you on the team and hope that you'll apply" and that was about it. I get that most schools aren't as selective as the NESCACs so they don't have to play the ED game, but the coaches just seemed less aggressive about trying to have a competitive team.
          NESCAC as a league has limitations on recruiting which other leagues do not have. It is a formalized process.

Comment

I think it's interesting because we also have the GNAC and NECC which no disrespect to those athletes, have teams in MA but are among the worst in the country as well. There's not a ton of in between in regards to the top and to the bottom.

Comment

I think it's interesting because we also have the GNAC and NECC which no disrespect to those athletes, have teams in MA but are among the worst in the country as well. There's not a ton of in between in regards to the top and to the bottom.
              We also have NEWMAC. The top tier has some pretty good soccer. And some of the schools are decent also.

Comment

This thread should be renamed "tallest midget"

Comment

This thread should be renamed "tallest midget"
                  And on cue. Exhibit 12,698.

Comment

And on cue. Exhibit 12,698.
                    Well surely his kid is one of the 15-20 a year from MA destined to play Div 1.
                    And based on the genius genes he's passed along, the quality of education isn't a factor at all.

Comment

We also have NEWMAC. The top tier has some pretty good soccer. And some of the schools are decent also.
                      Oh I agree, we do have top notch but there are also many school near the bottom too.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X