Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You have to understand that the majority of the coaches aren't really qualified for coach in U.S. The whole business model is based on the stupidity of the soccer parents.

But you just can't stop it just like you can't stop women buying expensive but often useless cosmetic products.
    This is true...

Bolts for example have a lot of Daddy coaches that never played themselves outs side of travel when they were little ones and never played past that.

but, parents shell out money and let it happen

Comment

A club shouldn't have to tell parents that 95% of HS athletes don't play in college. Its fairly common knowledge to anyone involved with youth sports. And they shouldn't have to tell parents that 99.9% won't play professionally either.
      I honestly don't know what your club soccer experience has been but after roughly 15 years of being involved with club soccer I can safely say that it has been our experience that most parents think that these sort of stats apply to the other guy, not them. Truthfully though at least at the upper echelons of club soccer there is significant tangible evidence that the stats you are citing are not correct at all because a large percentage of those involved do in fact end up playing in college. At those levels the fact is most are involved because they are chasing a college scholarship and quite a few of them do actually end up finding one. The reality is those stats you reference are about the much broader population that includes all the recreationally minded players that really have no intention of taking soccer to the extreme level of playing in college. At least in this area, that is not what club really is because "culturally" we tend to think of the recreational players as separate from the "club players" (though as our clubs grow in size that distinction seems to be blurring). That being as it may, what I have seen over the years is that the biggest disconnect with club soccer parents is with those upper echelon parents and where they project their player is going to play compared to where they actually end up. That is all about unrealistic expectations and sadly those expectations get pushed on them by the clubs to justify the spending a ton of money on travel and other things that in end really only benefit the club. What all of it really is doing is creating sort of an arms race amongst those parents at the top end where they are all trying buy their child every possible advantage. The fact of the matter though is it all really just comes down to the amount of talent the player has and the spending is really just superfluous.

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
        I honestly don't know what your club soccer experience has been but after roughly 15 years of being involved with club soccer I can safely say that it has been our experience that most parents think that these sort of stats apply to the other guy, not them. Truthfully though at least at the upper echelons of club soccer there is significant tangible evidence that the stats you are citing are not correct at all because a large percentage of those involved do in fact end up playing in college. At those levels the fact is most are involved because they are chasing a college scholarship and quite a few of them do actually end up finding one. The reality is those stats you reference are about the much broader population that includes all the recreationally minded players that really have no intention of taking soccer to the extreme level of playing in college. At least in this area, that is not what club really is because "culturally" we tend to think of the recreational players as separate from the "club players" (though as our clubs grow in size that distinction seems to be blurring). That being as it may, what I have seen over the years is that the biggest disconnect with club soccer parents is with those upper echelon parents and where they project their player is going to play compared to where they actually end up. That is all about unrealistic expectations and sadly those expectations get pushed on them by the clubs to justify the spending a ton of money on travel and other things that in end really only benefit the club. What all of it really is doing is creating sort of an arms race amongst those parents at the top end where they are all trying buy their child every possible advantage. The fact of the matter though is it all really just comes down to the amount of talent the player has and the spending is really just superfluous.
        This is pretty good. My children began in organized Youth soccer around 27 years ago, and I have seen the transformation of the sport. I think the disconnect is that a ton of money doesn't compensate for lack of talent. But parents have a hard time accepting that.

Comment

No, there is no place like that. Have your kid play a different sport. There are plenty of good ones around, like basketball, hockey, lacrosse, tennis, etc.
          So you are saying soccer is only for the families that can afford club prices? There is no other options for kids who want to get better coaching and improve?

Comment

You have to understand that the majority of the coaches aren't really qualified for coach in U.S. The whole business model is based on the stupidity of the soccer parents.

But you just can't stop it just like you can't stop women buying expensive but often useless cosmetic products.
            Bet you're a lot of fun on Valentines Day...

What a Neanderthal...

Comment

This is pretty good. My children began in organized Youth soccer around 27 years ago, and I have seen the transformation of the sport. I think the disconnect is that a ton of money doesn't compensate for lack of talent. But parents have a hard time accepting that.
              A lot of sports have gone through this transformation. Lacrosse, Hockey, Basketball. I've seen many average players get much better through more training and practice.

Comment

So you are saying soccer is only for the families that can afford club prices? There is no other options for kids who want to get better coaching and improve?
                You could find a small club (maybe even a "Mom & Pop"!) that would let you join for the spring season. Check out the maplesoccer.com web site and use their zip code tool. Narrow down your choices by talking to a club official. Go to a winter practice or two and talk to actual parents with kids in the club. Make a commitment for the season, see how your kid likes it, get a sense of his/her development (not the team record) and then stay the hell away from this site.

Comment

A lot of sports have gone through this transformation. Lacrosse, Hockey, Basketball. I've seen many average players get much better through more training and practice.
                  I don't deny that , however not to the levels of Youth soccer .

Average players can improve, however there is a ceiling , and that is the issue. I find in my experience that parents do not generally accept that principle.

Comment

You could find a small club (maybe even a "Mom & Pop"!) that would let you join for the spring season. Check out the maplesoccer.com web site and use their zip code tool. Narrow down your choices by talking to a club official. Go to a winter practice or two and talk to actual parents with kids in the club. Make a commitment for the season, see how your kid likes it, get a sense of his/her development (not the team record) and then stay the hell away from this site.
                    ^ This

Comment

I don't deny that , however not to the levels of Youth soccer .
                      Talk to someone whose kid plays hockey. And friends of mine say lacrosse clubs are more expensive than soccer. AAU Basketball wasn't well known 27 years ago. The growth of youth soccer can be attributable to the success of the USWNT and USMNT teams. Supply and demand.

Comment

Talk to someone whose kid plays hockey. And friends of mine say lacrosse clubs are more expensive than soccer. AAU Basketball wasn't well known 27 years ago. The growth of youth soccer can be attributable to the success of the USWNT and USMNT teams. Supply and demand.
                        All all those college scholarships on the women's side...

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
                          Believe it or not, you said the exact same thing in this post that hundreds of people pretending to be you have posted in the last week. Your message has become so mainstream on the site you really can save yourself the trouble of these long re-regurgitated posts.

Comment

That's part of the problem. The average child that starts on their soccer journey is far removed from that reality. Children always have had dreams and wanted to " be like the pros", but the cast of characters that are enablers is the difference. Youth soccer has all the enablers , starting in Chicago.

Comment

All all those college scholarships on the women's side...
                              Social Engineering with limited availability to progress beyond that point.

Comment

Believe it or not, you said the exact same thing in this post that hundreds of people pretending to be you have posted in the last week. Your message has become so mainstream on the site you really can save yourself the trouble of these long re-regurgitated posts.
                                It couldn't possibly be that lots of people are having similar experiences and coming to the same conclusions, so obviously in your warped reality it has to be some sort of conspiracy. The sad part is people like you who deny what is really going on do way more to fuel parental delusion and club profits than you seem willing to acknowledge. Don't know if that is from ignorance or by design because of self interest but your message is hardly constructive.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X